Removing Anodized coating from a aluminum box mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflnator55

Nov 12, 2014
Canada
Hey guys, I've already skuffed up my new Cloupor mini, and I'm already tired of looking at the dull silver it comes in. I have been toying with the idea of cleaning it all off and either polishing it, giving it a brushed look, or repainting it. Most methods ive seen to remove the Anodized coat invole acids that will probably mess with the electronics.

So basically. What would be a good method to remove the coating? Should I just hit it with a dremel and sand paper? Maybe a wire brush? I could also gut it and hit it with some chemicals, im a little nervous about breaking it though.

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
You could sand it and maybe wet sand it for the finish you want. The anodized layer is only a few thousandths deep but you will need a very rough cut paper at first though. When I was machining you had to make sure the cutting tool went deep enough to get under the anodizing or it would dull the tool in a heartbeat. Its very hard stuff...actually aluminum oxide...the stuff sand paper is made of.

C3RB3RU5

Mar 10, 2015
Wisconsin
If you think skuffs are bad a hand held dremel will make it look like you threw your mod out of a moving car. Dremels on metal are very difficult to keep steady unless using for wire brushing or polishing. Maybe light sanding but course sanding mini barrel heads will chew aluminum up. Best bet is starting with about 120 grit sand paper by hand and working up to 400-600 and don't polish if you plan to paint or the paint won't stick. Use a spray paint with a hardener or cerakote is a good option also.

orion7319

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I removed all the paint on my ipv mini because it was chipping. I had it mirror polished which pretty easy to do, being aluminum is a soft metal. It looked great for about an hour or so, until It would start to tarnish very badly from holding it in my hand on my hour long commute to work. I got tired of polishing it several times a day, so I just spray painted it with appliance epoxy from Home Depot. If you decide to go this route, don't use a self etching primer or anything as this will just bubble it up. It's self leveling which makes it super easy to get a nice smooth finish. If you mess anything up, acetone will dissolve it almost instantly. I've ordered a Jwrap for it, because any paints going to chip, but this stuff is a lot tougher then enamel.
Rust-Oleum Specialty, 12 oz. Epoxy Gloss White Appliance Spray Paint, 7881830 at The Home Depot - Tablet

TheJack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
P.A.
oven cleaner is the ticket. spray it on in a glass bowl or glass "in a well ventilated area". you dont want to breath in the fumes. it will take your breath away. i wait about 15 min then wash it in running soapy water. it will be a dull aluminum finish that youll need to brush or polish out but it works perfectly. youll be amazed at how good it works. the below mod was black.
11713518_10152922711976828_2016220575_n.jpg

Reactions: Beyored

Beyored

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
oven cleaner is the ticket. spray it on in a glass bowl or glass "in a well ventilated area". you dont want to breath in the fumes. it will take your breath away. i wait about 15 min then wash it in running soapy water. it will be a dull aluminum finish that youll need to brush or polish out but it works perfectly. youll be amazed at how good it works. the below mod was black. View attachment 468833
I took my black subox mini apart then sanded the shell down to its raw state then buffered......
f92f3d905ca6aca85c2c61b1bcc8e8dd.jpg

Reactions: TheJack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread