The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Removing Anodized coating from a aluminum box mod

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by wafflnator55, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. wafflnator55

wafflnator55 Full Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Canada
    Hey guys, I've already skuffed up my new Cloupor mini, and I'm already tired of looking at the dull silver it comes in. I have been toying with the idea of cleaning it all off and either polishing it, giving it a brushed look, or repainting it. Most methods ive seen to remove the Anodized coat invole acids that will probably mess with the electronics.

So basically. What would be a good method to remove the coating? Should I just hit it with a dremel and sand paper? Maybe a wire brush? I could also gut it and hit it with some chemicals, im a little nervous about breaking it though.

2. wafflnator55

wafflnator55 Full Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Canada
  3. nicotime

nicotime Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2009
    Montoursville, PA
    You could sand it and maybe wet sand it for the finish you want. The anodized layer is only a few thousandths deep but you will need a very rough cut paper at first though. When I was machining you had to make sure the cutting tool went deep enough to get under the anodizing or it would dull the tool in a heartbeat. Its very hard stuff...actually aluminum oxide...the stuff sand paper is made of.

4. sparkky1

sparkky1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2014
    Nashville
  5. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    IRELAND
    I cleaned all the anodizing from a Hana box yesterday - just used 600/400 wet and dry.
    Took me just over an hour.

Please remember that a raw polished surface is a complete fingerprint magnet!

6. C3RB3RU5

C3RB3RU5 Full Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Wisconsin
    If you think skuffs are bad a hand held dremel will make it look like you threw your mod out of a moving car. Dremels on metal are very difficult to keep steady unless using for wire brushing or polishing. Maybe light sanding but course sanding mini barrel heads will chew aluminum up. Best bet is starting with about 120 grit sand paper by hand and working up to 400-600 and don't polish if you plan to paint or the paint won't stick. Use a spray paint with a hardener or cerakote is a good option also.

7. TX Foilhead

TX Foilhead Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oven cleaner will do it, if there's somebody who annodizes nearby they'll have something they can dip it in to get it off. It will need some polishing once it's done.

8. orion7319

orion7319 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I removed all the paint on my IPV mini because it was chipping. I had it mirror polished which pretty easy to do, being aluminum is a soft metal. It looked great for about an hour or so, until It would start to tarnish very badly from holding it in my hand on my hour long commute to work. I got tired of polishing it several times a day, so I just spray painted it with appliance epoxy from Home Depot. If you decide to go this route, don't use a self etching primer or anything as this will just bubble it up. It's self leveling which makes it super easy to get a nice smooth finish. If you mess anything up, acetone will dissolve it almost instantly. I've ordered a Jwrap for it, because any paints going to chip, but this stuff is a lot tougher then enamel.
    Rust-Oleum Specialty, 12 oz. Epoxy Gloss White Appliance Spray Paint, 7881830 at The Home Depot - Tablet

9. TheJack

TheJack Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2011
    P.A.
    oven cleaner is the ticket. spray it on in a glass bowl or glass "in a well ventilated area". you dont want to breath in the fumes. it will take your breath away. i wait about 15 min then wash it in running soapy water. it will be a dull aluminum finish that youll need to brush or polish out but it works perfectly. youll be amazed at how good it works. the below mod was black. 11713518_10152922711976828_2016220575_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Robert Cromwell

Robert Cromwell Moved On ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Oven cleaner on a mod! Never for me. Some of that will get inside and corrode things and such, might even be conductive.

11. TheJack

TheJack Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2011
    P.A.
    well you take the electronics out first.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Robert Cromwell

Robert Cromwell Moved On ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Ahhh, that would work then.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rudy4653

rudy4653 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 2, 2012
    CT
    I stripped my anodized back REO with Greased Lightning. Came off very easy!

14. Beyored

Beyored Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2015
    I took my black subox mini apart then sanded the shell down to its raw state then buffered...... [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.