Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBikeGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Dry Ridge, Kentucky, USA
I'm wondering if anyone has tried nic salts in their REO? I vape at very low power already. With everyone going nuts over vaping I would like to try nic salts in my more inconspicuous Mini. I currently use a Grand with a 1.5 -1.8 ohm coil. I use my own juice 98.8% PG and 1.2% nic. I only have to change batteries and top off the 8.5 bottle once a day. One of my Mini 14500s has to be topped off and batteries changed about 4 times a day. I was wondering if I might be able to go to nic salts with a high nic level and stretch this out.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you’re using the Percentage system introduced by JUUL’s marketing arm as you seem to be, the very concept that you are not already doing so is a bit laughable.

Pure nic weighs fairly close to 1000mg/ml so “1.2%” is ~12mg/ml. With the right formulation of protonated nicotine(“salts”) you could double that number to about 24mg/ml and get approximately the same throat hit. There would be no other known issues. As far as the actual device goes protonated and unprotonated nics act more or less identically as far as is popularly known.

I specifically say “known” because unlike unprotonated (regular) nicotine there is a massive shortage of research on most of the vast number of different protonated nic chemicals. They’re all called “salt” though. Marketing again.

The problem is the percentage system was designed to hide how much more nicotine was actually in a JUUL just as the term “salt” was designed to hide the difference of the chemicals being used.

Last edited:
  • Agree

TheBikeGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Dry Ridge, Kentucky, USA
If you’re using the Percentage system introduced by JUUL’s marketing arm as you seem to be, the very concept that you are not already doing so is a bit laughable.

Pure nic weighs fairly close to 1000mg/ml so “1.2%” is ~12mg/ml. With the right formulation of protonated nicotine(“salts”) you could double that number to about 24mg/ml and get approximately the same throat hit. There would be no other known issues. As far as the actual device goes protonated and unprotonated nics act more or less identically as far as is popularly known.

I specifically say “known” because unlike unprotonated (regular) nicotine there is a massive shortage of research on most of the vast number of different protonated nic chemicals. They’re all called “salt” though. Marketing again.

The problem is the percentage system was designed to hide how much more nicotine was actually in a JUUL just as the term “salt” was designed to hide the difference of the chemicals being used.
I normally use weight when I mix. 12 mg. I only posted it that way because it seems like many are using percentages anymore, even on premixed bottles I have saw. I'm completely old school. I was just wondering if nic salts might be a way to put my stealthier 14500 Minis back in use since I could conceivably use higher nic and hit less.

Reactions: Izan

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I normally use weight when I mix. 12 mg. I only posted it that way because it seems like many are using percentages anymore, even on premixed bottles I have saw. I'm completely old school. I was just wondering if nic salts might be a way to put my stealthier 14500 Minis back in use since I could conceivably use higher nic and hit less.
Short answer: yes. There are caveats about “salts” in general though. If you can handle regular old 24mg nic in your reo you could still do that. The only reason to use protonated nic would be if you can’t. The advantage of unprotonated nic is that while it does have a higher throat hit it’s blood level profile is a lot less sharp and peaky so it might work better for you.. if you can handle the increased throat hit.

Kelt.

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 22, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Yup. You certainly can. I'm using 30mg salts in my mini 14500. Approx 1.3 ohm coil. One battery/one refill a day.
    59c14cc31fc6184f84c5644deb928b52.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TheBikeGuy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 26, 2014
    Dry Ridge, Kentucky, USA
    Since I started this post, i decided to just mix my usual freebase nic much stronger and see how that worked. It's been going great. I went from using 1 18650 battery and 9 ml of 12 mg/ml unflavored 100% PG a day to 1 14500 battery, and 3 ml of 48 mg/ml unflavored 100% PG a day.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    There is no reason you can't use nic salts in your device, or some mixture as suggested. Are they "newer than" as in we do not know all the effects? Probably.

As far as the nic you have already it can be converted to nic salts if you so desire, most people I have read who are doing it use citric acid, but there is no reason not to use malic or benzoic acid instead as far as I know (other than if those particular acids are less home friendly.)

There are threads on it.

Anna

Reactions: TheBikeGuy
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread