Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Thanks everyone.

I'm sorry for your loss, Spydro. I've never been around birds, but it's obvious after reading your tribute that they become a part of the family the same way a dog or cat does, and I'm all to familiar with how it feels to lose one.

They do, maybe more so because they can learn to talk and are much longer lived that our furry friends are. Some parrot species can live as long as 65 years, others 40 to 50 (the true parrots are the longest lived), but even cockatiel's and love birds 20 - canaries and keets 15. So some species of parrots as long as a child might be in it's parents lives before they pass. At my parrot Bandit's currant age/health and my age/health he could out live me by 25 or more years. He will live with my son after me.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Thanks everyone.

They do, maybe more so because they can learn to talk and are much longer lived that our furry friends are. Some parrot species can live as long as 65 years, others 40 to 50 (the true parrots are the longest lived), but even cockatiel's and love birds 20 - canaries and keets 15. So some species of parrots as long as a child might be in it's parents lives before they pass. At my parrot Bandit's currant age/health and my age/health he could out live me by 25 or more years. He will live with my son after me.

I have 2 African Greys and a White Eyed Conure. I'm sure the Greys will outlive me. Both are about 15 now.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Spydro, I am sorry to hear about the loss, in your family. I used to have parrots too. I lost an African Grey, and it broke my heart. I still have a picture of her, and I know what a terrible loss it is, without them. I cannot imagine having a pet for almost 30 years, and then they pass on like that. My heart goes out to you, and your son.

Reactions: Spydro

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
70aa07883968b1a879fc1a5780d9be71.jpg
my ..... and I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Thanks for the additional support... I'll pass it on to my son. He is still totally devastated, understandable, especially with his own personal family being the two of them in a big house (he has no wife/kids or other pets). In time just the two of us will get together, I'm sure he will with his mother as well, when he feels up to it. Either or even both of us together would go visit Skip with him if he wanted that. He has lots of great friends in the meantime that are supporting him, any of them would do anything for him anytime.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Last night I saw the biggest Great Dane ever. The owner said he was still not fully grown yet. They were buying him a huge amount of toys. I am behind them with two bags of dog food. I wonder how much a Great Dane can eat when they are that size? I think they are mostly legs. When that dog fills out, they are going to need to get a payment plan at the pet store, just for his food. That is one reason I decided this time around, I wanted a smaller dog. My dog is probably not quite 60 pounds. That is plenty big. My old dog was a little over a hundred pounds. The dog last night was thin, probably because he grew so fast. He will fill out in time.

Reactions: Gigdujour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread