Reo noob here, just got myself a mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnydotexe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Springfield, MO
So after deciding that I wanted to part with my Omega(awesome mod) due to arthritis and probably carpal tunnel in my hands, I needed to figure out what mod to get next.

-I go through substantially more liquid with clearos, and WAY more on my MAP tank.

-I enjoy dripping, but hate carrying around the bottle and stopping to drip. I also use maybe 1.5-2ml a day when dripping.

First thing that came to mind was a Reo, but couldn't find any Grandes in the EC classifieds. After some thought, I figured I'd just get a mini to see how I like it and then maybe trade it towards a Grande later on down the road. I prefer the 18650s over the 14500s for obvious reasons...vape for several days without rotating batteries. Kinda hard to give that up, ya know?

Ended up trading my Omega + MAP tank + pair of batteries for a green/silver mini + 3 bottles + pair of AW IMRs. Been vaping on this thing non-stop since I opened the package earlier. It's quite nice, there's a bit of a learning curve with the "know when to squonk, know how much to squonk" but I'm learning quickly. In the 6+ hours I've been vaping on this thing(quite heavily), I've used about 1.5ml which is great compared to what I went through on the tank and clearos.

A question came to mind though. I noticed that they recommend the AW IMR 14500s for the mini, but aren't those un-protected? That seems to go against the advice of many vapers, and this forum. What's up with that?

Also, do I need those two magnetic discs for the battery? So far the only thing I notice them doing is limiting the amount of downward travel on the button...it'll still fire with or without those discs. Seems like they could get hung up in that hole and if bounced around enough create a bridge between the contact and the battery without the button being pressed.

Last edited:

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
For arthritic/carpal tunnel hands, a Woodvil or Mini-woodvil might be more user friendly.

AW IMR batteries are LiMN, whereas the protected batteries you mentioned are Lithium -ion. The LiMN are considered safe chemistry batteries and should only vent harmless gas if they fail. Li-ions, on the other hand have the potential to vent flame. That's why the protected versions should only be used in mods.

You don't need the magnets in any model Reo. You want to allow for the spring to collapse in the event of a short circuit. It's a safety feature Rob designed and built into his mods.

Check out some of the stickied threads here for more info.

And welcome.

Erfmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2011
Arizona
For arthritic/carpal tunnel hands, a Woodvil or Mini-woodvil might be more user friendly.

AW IMR batteries are LiMN, whereas the protected batteries you mentioned are Lithium -ion. The LiMN are considered safe chemistry batteries and should only vent harmless gas if they fail. Li-ions, on the other hand have the potential to vent flame. That's why the protected versions should only be used in mods.

You don't need the magnets in any model Reo. You want to allow for the spring to collapse in the event of a short circuit. It's a safety feature Rob designed and built into his mods.

Check out some of the stickied threads here for more info.

And welcome.

2150bd19.jpg

Welcome to Reoville....

REET_AZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2011
Arizona
Let me know if you would need a button mod I came up with for the REO grand and mini. I make them out of baked clay, they glue onto the REO button, and make an easier, more comfy button push.

I do not charge for them. They are very inexpensive to make, and I am happy to share. If you think it would help...pm me your address and what color REO you have, or better yet, what color button you would like. I plan to make some up this weekend.

johnnydotexe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Springfield, MO
I'm actually pretty content with the button so far, apart from it sometimes turning to the "off" position at times making me think the battery is dead or my atty finally gave out.

As for the color, I didn't think I'd like the green but it's not too bad. I would still prefer a black/black or black/silver, though. I'll vape on this thing for another week or so, then probably throw it in the classifieds towards a Grande. I just can't bring myself to like 14500 mods after spending so much time with 18650 mods.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Welcome to the family .... and congrats on the Mini.

Its funny how some things can be so different for others because I find the REO goes through about 3X the juice that a MAP tank did. I worked for about 5 days trying to vape my MAP empty... I can drain a 6ml grand bottle in a day and a half if I am using attys .... the REO can be quite a miser on juice with carto on board though in my experience.

Last edited:

johnnydotexe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Springfield, MO
Just a little update...

This mini is still my main/daily mod, I don't think I could ever go back to anything other than a bottom-feeder now. My e-liquid consumption is sitting around 3ml/day which isn't too bad compared to how much I was going through on the MAP tank. I would probably go through a little less if I didn't overflow the juicewell at least once per refill, haha.

I recently ordered a Grande for my father and while he loves it, I must admit it is WAY too big for my liking. After seeing/handling that grande, I decided to just stick with the mini and put up with my dislike for 14500s. I'm using Trustfires instead of my AW IMRs now, since the IMRs don't last near as long and appear to not hold a charge very well anymore. It is my understanding that the IMRs are recommended solely because they are safe-chemistry and if they explode they won't hurt your hand...whereas non safe-chemistry batteries that exploded would vent through the squonk hole right in to your palm. I'll take my chances, but I'm not too worried since I exclusively use protected Li-Ion batteries.

I'm using only debridged/dewicked LR306 atomizers now as those seem to offer me the best vape, but they do tend to make me hate 14500s a little more. I have three Trustfires on rotation so I'm never left without a battery, but it gets annoying having to swap batteries at least twice a day.

Last edited:

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Just a little update...

This mini is still my main/daily mod, I don't think I could ever go back to anything other than a bottom-feeder now. My e-liquid consumption is sitting around 3ml/day which isn't too bad compared to how much I was going through on the MAP tank. I would probably go through a little less if I didn't overflow the juicewell at least once per refill, haha.

I recently ordered a Grande for my father and while he loves it, I must admit it is WAY too big for my liking. After seeing/handling that grande, I decided to just stick with the mini and put up with my dislike for 14500s. I'm using Trustfires instead of my AW IMRs now, since the IMRs don't last near as long and appear to not hold a charge very well anymore. It is my understanding that the IMRs are recommended solely because they are safe-chemistry and if they explode they won't hurt your hand...whereas non safe-chemistry batteries that exploded would vent through the squonk hole right in to your palm. I'll take my chances, but I'm not too worried since I exclusively use protected Li-Ion batteries.

I'm using only debridged/dewicked LR306 atomizers now as those seem to offer me the best vape, but they do tend to make me hate 14500s a little more. I have three Trustfires on rotation so I'm never left without a battery, but it gets annoying having to swap batteries at least twice a day.

I'm curious. Did you try genuine AW IMR 14500's or did you wind up with some off brand red wrapper IMR's that some vendors are selling?

moonsbabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Texas
I have 3 of the recommended batteries coming tomorrow. I am using the trustfire 14500's I vape them dead almost before the other can charge. I sure hope the AW IMR ones are that much better. At least I will have my own charger and won't have to share with my husband!! One charger for two vapers just doesn't cut it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread