REO (or other mech squonker)....all that is really needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
So, I have been thinking about vaping a lot. As the vape community is under attack by the FDA, my mind often goes to planning ahead for the dark days that may come.

Like many, I love gadgets - the bright, shiny and new. Its fun, enjoyable and a great way to geek out for a bit. But, is it necessary? If vaping is really about harm reduction or smoking cessation, why invest in anything besides a REO or something similar? Rebuildable, built like a tank, virtually indestructible, not dependent on a mfg for coils, and with a couple extra springs, etc...will carry any vaper into eternity.

Therefore, I am mostly curious to see how many might have a similar line of questioning, or have moved to a single REO-like device and have abandoned the hobbyist stance? If so, how did you do it? Was it a hard transition?

Just thought this might be a fun discussion...there is no right answer. And, while I am admittedly a big REO fan, I continue to experiment with other devices....(as I scratch my head).

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
REOs, Nuppins, Divos, GP Spheroids, ProVaris, Silver Bullets and a few other bits and parts along with DIY juice and I'm set. Done with the shinies... though I have been thinking about the O-16 (loves me some tiny atties). I have a handful of CV mods as backups too. I have scaled down on my hording though. I didn't really need 9 Nuppins :lol:

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
REOs, Nuppins, Divos, GP Spheroids, ProVaris, Silver Bullets and a few other bits and parts along with DIY juice and I'm set. Done with the shinies... though I have been thinking about the O-16 (loves me some tiny atties). I have a handful of CV mods as backups too. I have scaled down on my hording though. I didn't really need 9 Nuppins :lol:

Love it!

Reactions: MsLoud

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I love my one REO but love my two Coppervapes as well. Those 3 squonkers and a bag of extra parts should last me decades.

I also like using my simple tube mechs with STMs or Griffin tanks. Fun to tinker with.

Lastly, I do own a bunch of Provaris as they are reliable and I use them for going to work as I can vape low wattage with higher nic juice AND they are super low maintainance. Plus my wife doesn't want to use anything else.

Beyond that, I am giving away my regulated mods (except the Provaris) the friends and relatives that smoke. I have no need for my Snow Wolf, SX Mini, etc. except for testing new builds.

My shinitis days are over methinks.

smknomore

Verified Member
Oct 4, 2014
South of the river
Same here in a way, Have 4 grands, a grunt box mech squonker, couple minis with various toppers mainly rm2's.
I do have a couple regulated mods but when they go kaput I wont replace them. In roughly 3 years I have spent way too much on gear and am over the shiny stuff as well. If vaping regulated I normally run 30 watts so there is no need for a 200 + watt device. I have had the provaris etc and they are very nice but prefer the smaller length mods. So Reos are really the best device for me.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
The Coppervapes are my main mods now and are as simple as simple gets . I see absolutely no need to spend more on a mechanical as they do everything i want perfectly .

While it's true that all you really need is one or two mechanical mods and you will be covered for decades most people do not think that way .

They continue to spend & spend acquiring 20 + mods & 40 plus tanks lol, i get a kick out of it but to each their own.

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
My problem with one device is I dont have one juice I vape on all the time. I dont even have one style of vaping I stick with. I like my (several) tobacco flavors in mouth to lung setups and fruity or creamy vapes more of a direct lung inhale. I probably have 7 or 8 of my dozen+ Reos and others in daily rotation. There are days I try to stick with 2 or 3 but I dont think a single setup is right for me unless I start vaping unflavored juice, which may not be too far off since Nicoticket is wrapping things up:(

Sickbabies

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2016
New York
I too have been shunning almost all of my collection and have found myself using my brass Coppervape (I'll have a CC one day :wub:) and occasionally my Aluminum (I find the brass lower-maintenance) with a NarDA.

The shiny-itis is still there a little bit, but I've been holding back a lot. I do have a Hadaly and an O-atty clone on the way but those'll be my last RDA purchases for a while. The last mod I bought was a special edition Peko kit with cutouts for veneers/leather/whatever. Still need to paint and build that up before I even consider an end-all-be-all squonker

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
My problem with one device is I dont have one juice I vape on all the time. I dont even have one style of vaping I stick with. I like my (several) tobacco flavors in mouth to lung setups and fruity or creamy vapes more of a direct lung inhale. I probably have 7 or 8 of my dozen+ Reos and others in daily rotation. There are days I try to stick with 2 or 3 but I dont think a single setup is right for me unless I start vaping unflavored juice, which may not be too far off since Nicoticket is wrapping things up:(
I am having a similar conversation about this very thing. I too have favorite setups with different flavors. I love my DIY HS Arabic only in my Spheroid v3. SS coil 2.5dia around 1.2ohm on my Provari at 3.9volts. Yes, it is that specific. :lol:
I have tried the same juice on my REO in my beloved Nuppins and I just don't get the same pleasure. Now, my peanut butter RY4 is dreamy with a .5 SS coil on the REO wide open airflow.

I realized a while back I vape according to my mood. Sometimes I need the stress relief of a tighter draw Spheroid v3 with a strong and familiar tobacco.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
I absolutely loved the time I spent with my Reos, and for a long time it was really all I needed or wanted. As my vaping style changed I regrettably used the Reos less and less but still missed the convenience of squonking, so I decided to start from scratch and build something the way I wanted it instead.
I suppose you could say that Reos singlehandedly pushed me further into the hobbyist aspect, even though I keep telling myself that enough is enough and it's time to move on (to spending more money on my car instead :D)
I admire anyone who can stick to a single device and be completely happy until the bitter end, but I've discovered over the years that that person is just not me. I enjoy my hobby, I don't harm anyone, I haven't leveled any structures in pursuit of my hobby and my wife and kids are 110% supportive.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I am a firm believer in keeping it as simple as possible. This thought process brought me to the Reo Grands I own. Only have 2... One is a back up for the other, but to be honest, I only need 1 because it is that reliable of a device!!! They will outlast me in my lifetime I'm afraid, and just work the way Rob intended them to...forever...

I have made modifications to both my devices and any and all shiny-itis has gone away. Been almost 3yrs now. I have solid silver contacts made by Corey over @ Custom Classic and now my devices hit every bit as efficient and hard as a CC, Pdib, or any of the $300+ devices being offered out there today. On a .2Ω coil, my voltage drop is a measly .18v... I now vape in the .5Ω range and have no doubt the voltage drop is even lower. Its as simple as I hit the button and the coil fires. No hesitation, just fires right now... Not that a standard Reo Grand w/ copper contacts and adjustable 510 is any kind of slouch @ .4v on the same .2Ω coil...

The people I feel bad for are the ones with regulated devices. They will fail and die at some point!! No need to argue about this, it is fact, so don't even try to dispute it. I have never cared for regulated and I know I never will. My Reo's will outlast anything DNA, SX, Provari, or any other regulation out there...period...

What does matter is that whatever anyone out there is vaping, I just hope they get a glimmer of the satisfaction I have everyday when I grab for my trusty Reo Grand, in what they are vaping....

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
I am a firm believer in keeping it as simple as possible. This thought process brought me to the Reo Grands I own. Only have 2... One is a back up for the other, but to be honest, I only need 1 because it is that reliable of a device!!! They will outlast me in my lifetime I'm afraid, and just work the way Rob intended them to...forever...

I have made modifications to both my devices and any and all shiny-itis has gone away. Been almost 3yrs now. I have solid silver contacts made by Corey over @ Custom Classic and now my devices hit every bit as efficient and hard as a CC, Pdib, or any of the $300+ devices being offered out there today. On a .2Ω coil, my voltage drop is a measly .18v... I now vape in the .5Ω range and have no doubt the voltage drop is even lower. Its as simple as I hit the button and the coil fires. No hesitation, just fires right now... Not that a standard Reo Grand w/ copper contacts and adjustable 510 is any kind of slouch @ .4v on the same .2Ω coil...

The people I feel bad for are the ones with regulated devices. They will fail and die at some point!! No need to argue about this, it is fact, so don't even try to dispute it. I have never cared for regulated and I know I never will. My Reo's will outlast anything DNA, SX, Provari, or any other regulation out there...period...

What does matter is that whatever anyone out there is vaping, I just hope they get a glimmer of the satisfaction I have everyday when I grab for my trusty Reo Grand, in what they are vaping....

Nicely put. You have it dialed in!

Reactions: muzichead

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan

Hear! Hear!

Reactions: muzichead

AU717

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2015
Spring, TX
Interesting post KH. First thing I did this morning (before reading this) was to grab one of the Woodvilles, re-wick, clean contacts and deox. Lovin it! Fickle, though. Tomorrow morning I may grab a tank. Or a regulated. Enjoying the selection. REO's will always be there, though. As previously mentioned, I probably won't buy any more regulated or tanks. When the REO's are all that is left I will still be good to go.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Since I can't really imagine a world where a BF mechanical mod is all I have left to vape on I have a boat load of different regulated devices in my stash.

While a "squonker" offers a unique and different vaping experience, I tend to prefer using RTA's powered by TC regulated mods.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    People that keep it simple tend to spend less time here, I believe. Hobbyists always like to chat about the hobby.

I went a lot of directions and still have some of that hardware. But, I decided a while back that I should invest in the tried and true and lower the hobby. I also cut the cigs and then the nicotine. I don't have to vape as much, but I still do most days.

I have two squonkers and 5-6 BF atties, spare parts, too. My provaris are my norm. If they ever die, well, I think I am prepared enough. I DIY with about 30 recipes but the don't seem to empty as quick.

I did use my REO for a bit and I cleaned it to store. Simple maintenance and it will go for as long as I go. Doesn't make for a hardware hobby, but I have no doubt it will keep the cigs away.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I, too, have left the hobby aspect of vaping. I use REO with the old faithful single coil RM2 and RXW, I build and wick very infrequently. I diy unflavored around 4-5 mg, adding a drop of flavor directly into the REO bottle every couple of fills if I want a little extra taste.
    I went for the O16 among several others but went back to the very simple RM2. I have a couple Provari's that I look at but never use, as well as enough tanks to embarrass me. The enthusiastic talk about the new stuff no longer turns my head, my buying days have ended. I am now saving all that money that I only dreamed of when vaping ended my smoking.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread