REOs not performing well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
North Eastern Pennsylvania
Ahh ok interesting and it makes sense. I will try a little later, I have narrowed down possibly a faulty battery as well.
Thanks again for all the help everyone :)

Hello nepatitan When you take a file to the positive contact dont be afraid to use some pressure . If a mod is run dirty for awhile it can bake a coating on the positive contact . I have seen this many times a customers tells me they cleaned the contact but never removed all the oxidation .

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
How often is that needed. It worked flawlessly last night after sanding and applying noalox, woke up this morning and it was misfiring again. Removed the noalox from last night, put some new noalox on and its been working great since.
I had some sparking, and misfires last week too. A good cleaning, emery board to the contact, and some noalox fixed it up for me.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
How often is that needed. It worked flawlessly last night after sanding and applying noalox, woke up this morning and it was misfiring again. Removed the noalox from last night, put some new noalox on and its been working great since.

I get the feeling it's something other than contact / noalox issues. Perhaps something where the firing pin contacts the 510 connector? I'm not sure how that area works or is assembled, but it just sounds too intermittent to be related to the visible areas of the REO.

bourzia

Verified Member
Jan 11, 2012
Pittsburgh

Well, I've done it once since I got my reo in January.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com

Perhaps it's time to message Rob. Tell him your set up and see if this warrants a look see at the house of Reo. :)

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio
May I suggest you take your button top off and see what happens. It could be pushed on too far and not allowing consistent contact.

This was an issue for me.

I ended up nipping the yop off of a dripper bottles to make a spacer so that the button top couldn't sink to far.

I didn't think I was a button masher but a good cleaning and filing got me rollin again. Try putting a spacer under your button top.

good call justice!

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
This was an issue for me.

I ended up nipping the yop off of a dripper bottles to make a spacer so that the button top couldn't sink to far.

I didn't think I was a button masher but a good cleaning and filing got me rollin again. Try putting a spacer under your button top.

good call justice!

I've had same issue. I had dropped my Reo and it simply pushed the button on too far. If the prob goes away with it off then no need to keep looking. Simple to try any ways.

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio
I've had same issue. I had dropped my Reo and it simply pushed the button on too far. If the prob goes away with it off then no need to keep looking. Simple to try any ways.

That's exactly what happened to me.

I dropped it and started having issues. I'm pretty certain I changed the contact point when it fell and had to re establish a good connection, plus the spacer.

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Hi all ty so much for all your help. Sorry for the long delay but it was a lloonngg day yesterday but gave me time to test out some of the ideas you all have been giving me. After a good scrubbing of the firing pin and rechecking the innards I found the button was slightly melted and had some shavings by the firing pin. Scraped off the shavings, added a wedge for the button cover as well, set it all up and its been great for 2 days straight now. Going to order a repair kit as well because I need a new tube and I want to replace the button anyway.
One more question, what is the lowest ohm coil I can use safely. Does the button melt because of to high wattage or button mashing.
Again thank you all!

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
On the Grand, you can use a w-a-a-y low coil. I've used a .8 ohm coil easily. I prefer maybe, 1.0 ohms or so, but other than something totally ridiculous, I wouldn't worry about it. On the VV Grand it's different because the vv chip won't let it fire if it's too low, but with the Grand....go for it (within reason!! :))

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Cool :) Cause I have been loving the .7 - .8 ohm coils with twisted 32, for some reason I just dont like 30 or 28 gauge.... weird
On the Grand, you can use a w-a-a-y low coil. I've used a .8 ohm coil easily. I prefer maybe, 1.0 ohms or so, but other than something totally ridiculous, I wouldn't worry about it. On the VV Grand it's different because the vv chip won't let it fire if it's too low, but with the Grand....go for it (within reason!! :))

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Cool :) Cause I have been loving the .7 - .8 ohm coils with twisted 32, for some reason I just dont like 30 or 28 gauge.... weird

Yeh, I like the 32 gauge best, too. I can do 30 gauge, but I really don't like 28 gauge. Not only is it just too "wirey"....but it seems to take longer to heat up, too. The 32 gauge is perfect for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread