Replacement for Koh Gen Do cotton (60mm x 80mm pads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I've been using Koh Gen Do cotton pads for some time, and was getting a bag of 80 pads for $9-$12 on Amazon, last purchased over a year ago. I'm starting to get low, so I went to get some more, but now, a box of only 60 pads costs $19.

What I love best about the Koh Gen Do cotton is that they are 60mm x 80mm pads, not the standard 50 mm x 60 mm pads from other manufacturers. The 80mm length along the grain allows me to cut them in half (into 60mm x 40mm pads), and the resulting 40mm length along the grain is long enough to wick any of my atomizers.

I can't do this with the standard 50mm x 60mm pads. Basically, I get 2.4x as many wicks from each of the 60mm x 80mm Koh Gen Do pads (twice as many from cutting the pads in half, and an additional 40% more from having a 60mm length across the grain instead of just 50mm on the standard size pads).

Are there any other manufacturers of 60mm x 80mm Japanese cotton pads which work well for vaping, and are available on Amazon and shipped from the U.S.?

• Agree
Reactions: MacTechVpr

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Honestly even at $19 for 60, they are still a bargain. At that price they are $0.32 per pad. Like you I cut them in half, then each half yields 5 wicks each. So I get 10 wicks per pad, making them $0.03 per wick.

Sadly it looks like that is the new price across the internet though. Amazon just used to sell them cheaper to get people used to buying from them. I have seen this a LOT with Amazon. For instance I used to buy vitamins from Amazon because they were a lot cheaper than my local grocery. Over the course of about 2 years Amazon slowly raised the price until they are more expensive than my local grocery store which is still selling at the same price. In general Amazon is not the bargain it once was.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Despite a single Koh Gen Do pad may yield more wicks per pad, the smaller Muji does come in much larger quantities for similar price. 360 pads for $12. I get a minimum of 4 wicks per pad for a 3mm coil, cut along the 60mm grain. Some of my short wick atomizers, such as the B2K, this can be extended to 8 wicks per pad. I’ll let you do the math.

I’ve tried both, couldn’t tell a difference in performance. Have a good friend in the high-end cosmetic industry (she does makeup for the rich and famous and movie industries - sells $500+ lipsticks), she suspects Koh Gen is actually made by Muji. Koh Gen is just a brand name, relying on many OEM’s – Muji is a large manufacture with divisions in many industries, kinda like Samsung (but no where close to size)

If cost is your objective, and you prefer Japanese cotton over Rayon, you have some choices.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
The number of pads can be misleading. My Mujis are thicker than the KGD. While I can't cut the Mujis in half, I do get considerably more than 1/2 as many wicks per pad because I cut a narrower strip than with the KGD.

On the other hand, you might take this as an opportunity to try rayon. I thought I was perfectly happy with my cotton wicks until I got around to sampling the alternative.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
And if you do consider using Rayon as @Hawise has said @jersey_emt, non sterile Tidi Rayon balls are supposedly much better than Grahame's Cellucotton Rayon.

Unfortunately can't get Tidi Rayon in the UK, so never had an opportunity to use or try it. But it is gaining popularity in the Rayon thread.

Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

It's talked about a lot in the latter pages, so you may wish to work your way from the end backwards to save time and get to the relevant information.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Or, the Muji store.

The regular size pads (50x60mm) are just $1.99 per 180 at the Muji USA online store right now. I picked up two packs of them, along with a 135-pack of the large 70x90mm pads ($6). Total with tax and $5.95 shipping was just $17.

They even have a physical store in northern New Jersey, about 30 minutes away. Good to know if I'm ever in a pinch! Although with 360 small pads and 135 large ones, I think I'll be good for a little while.

If it turns out I don't care for the Muji cotton, I'll just go ahead and buy the 60-pack of Koh Gen Do from Amazon. As ScottP said, even $19 for 60 pads really isn't that much since they last so long.

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread