Replacing coils every day or two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzzo

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
USA
So I've just found my new favorite juice thanks to you guys. It's betelgeus from nicoticket. I absolutely love the flavor and the vape, but it seems to clog up my iClears and protanks. I'm using it on my protank at only 3 volts and by the middle of the second day the coils are barely producing vapor, the juice is getting dark. The site says its 65/35, would that have anything to do with it?

I really love this juice, but I can't keep buying coils every 2 days. Anyone have any tips?

Tiktik

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2013
Pullman, WA
Just learn how to rewick your Protank heads with cotton. It's very easy to take them apart, dry burn the gunk off, rewick, reassemble and voila, good as new. Better than new actually, cotton gives better flavor.

So do you just take cotton out then dryburn the kanthal? Then put a brand new cotton in then vape? Is that what you mean?
I recently learned rebuilding protank 2 on my own and I love the flavor that they give!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enzzo

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
USA
So do you just take cotton out then dryburn the kanthal? Then put a brand new cotton in then vape? Is that what you mean?
I recently learned rebuilding protank 2 on my own and I love the flavor that they give!!

That sounds incredibly easy, I always figured rewicking was messing around with internal parts and dealt with OHM's and watts and other technical stuff I can't wrap my head around :confused:

valzee

May 6, 2013
MA usa
you can replace the coils or if you use ones that don't have replaceable coils (like me) you can clean and dry your atomizers.
I've cleaned mine with PG and alchohol, though I've been told water works fine.
empty out the fluid that's become dark, and you can likely renew it with a shot of PG/VG and some steeping, if price is your thing.

you'll want to clean the coil tube with pure alchohol, This will dissolve all of the junk mucking up the coils. you want toclean the chamber and wick with pg as it won't ruin your wicks.

Last edited:

Sighlense

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Upstate New York
Cotton balls? Wow. I'm assuming you rub it into string?

This is correct. However, the trick is not making it so thick that once juiced it swells so much it chokes off the wicking process. Thin it out to the point where it slides into the coil barely scraping the coil. Don't just grab a thick slab and twist the crap out of it until it fits. Not really "rubbing", just lightly twisting between the fingers. Takes a little practice, but once you get the hang you'll know how thick a strip you want to twist.

DaBucs

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2013
Orlando, Fl
Never had that happen with BG after a day...usually when I had the BG in my kanger T2's I think I would just clean them weekly or every other week if it needed to or not...sounds like not allowing the new heads to soak first before using and then maybe buring the wick and then discoloring the juice? not sure

And when I clean I just run under hot water, then let em dry, then use a dry burn to clean the coil

SharonMM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Lakeville, MN

That sounds incredibly easy, I always figured rewicking was messing around with internal parts and dealt with OHM's and watts and other technical stuff I can't wrap my head around :confused:

Yeah if all you are doing is rewicking and dry burning, you don't need to disassemble the whole thing.. just remove the chimney thing. Its faster and you don't have to worry about ohms and all that. The coils can actually last for a pretty long time.

If you are doing a dry burn though, just turn down your wattage to the lowest setting if you can. Then you just want to pulse the power.. if you blast it with high power you can pop the coil.. then you really would have to rebuild or throw it away.

Enzzo

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
USA
Never had that happen with BG after a day...usually when I had the BG in my kanger T2's I think I would just clean them weekly or every other week if it needed to or not...sounds like not allowing the new heads to soak first before using and then maybe buring the wick and then discoloring the juice? not sure

And when I clean I just run under hot water, then let em dry, then use a dry burn to clean the coil

Probably a stupid question, but this issue is really bugging me. When you clean it, do you clean out the actual coil it self? Or just the tank?

I normally unscrew the coil and run hot water through the tank and then pop everything back together. It's just really bugging me that every couple of hits taste reallly burnt and these things are shot in a day of 3.0 volts.

cloud.nine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Probably a stupid question, but this issue is really bugging me. When you clean it, do you clean out the actual coil it self? Or just the tank?

I normally unscrew the coil and run hot water through the tank and then pop everything back together. It's just really bugging me that every couple of hits taste reallly burnt and these things are shot in a day of 3.0 volts.
Not a stupid question! :)
Clean the actual coil. I run hot water through the coil (I'm talking about stock protank II coils with silica wick), blow through the bottom of the coil a few times, run more hot water through it, blow out again. Then I might take off the chimney, remove the flavor wicks and look inside at the actual metal coil. If it looks black and gunked up, I'll dry burn it with a few short pulses, until the coil glows evenly and it looks cleaner. Then I rinse again to get the ash off from the dry burn. Then dry the coil, reassemble and attach to the tank.
If you use a cotton wick, take out the cotton before dry burning.
My coils also get bad after a day and a half of vaping on one tank, so I'll usually rinse them out once a day or dry burn if needed. They last longer this way. But still the protank coils only last me about a week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread