Status
Not open for further replies.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
I am sure it would work just fine but if you are not having trouble with a specific atty then I see no need to do it. The only time that I dewick an atty is if I am getting a really bad taste no matter how much juice is in it, and notice I said dewick because I do not debridge attys because I have not found any benefit of doing it but to each there own.

namuch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Surprise,Az
I rarely debridge, but i always dewick. Dewicking yields a cleaner taste, usually lightens up the draw a bit, and drastically reduces how long flavors linger. I rotate out quite a few flavors during the day usually, and not having a wick in there really helps when I change flavors.

306's are very easy to do, but 510's can be a pain, since you really want to dig out every last strand of wick, and rooting around in the 510 barrel with tweezers isn't a lot of fun.. :)

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
I dewicked two different used LR attys today out of curiosity. One Joye510 and one no name. They wasn't very burnt but I wanted to try and WOW...! easier drag and a clean taste. No problem with wicking from RES or ad a few drops now and then. I'm going to continue dewicking my attys for sure.

Yeah the first time I saw the wick strands down in there I threw my atty away and got a new one because I thought there was something wrong with it. Then I noticed that all of them have it. I always take it out before I use any atty. Maybe its because I use the RES but I find there is no need whatsoever for it.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Yep definitely. I'm not even sure why they put them in there. Seems like it just makes the performance worse.

Its funny because a friend from another vendor tried to get his 306s made without the wick and the company would not do it. People argue that the burnt taste cant be coming from the wick but those of us that have experienced it know the truth. I dewick but do not debridge(usually)

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
Its funny because a friend from another vendor tried to get his 306s made without the wick and the company would not do it. People argue that the burnt taste cant be coming from the wick but those of us that have experienced it know the truth. I dewick but do not debridge(usually)

I have never debridged an atty before. What are the advantages of doing that?

namuch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Surprise,Az

I think debridging came about as a side effect of dewicking originally. Especially since most atomizers are a major pain to get all the fibers out from inside the barrel (510,901,801, etc). If you leave one or 2 fibers of the wick under that bridge somewhere, you will get an even worse burnt taste than having the entire wick in there, in my experience. It is just plain easier to rip the entire bridge out than to extract just the wick. 306's are a no-brainer since you can easily access just the wick and leave the bridge intact. I personally leave the bridges on because I've found that with many of the low-res atty's I will get some hot pops of juice on the tongue occasionally if the bridge is not there. Also, leaving the bridge on allows a drop or 2 of juice to linger in the mesh in close proximity to the coil and you get a few more "golden" drags than you do without a bridge.

Just my 2 cents, as a long time dripper....

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
I think debridging came about as a side effect of dewicking originally. Especially since most atomizers are a major pain to get all the fibers out from inside the barrel (510,901,801, etc). If you leave one or 2 fibers of the wick under that bridge somewhere, you will get an even worse burnt taste than having the entire wick in there, in my experience. It is just plain easier to rip the entire bridge out than to extract just the wick. 306's are a no-brainer since you can easily access just the wick and leave the bridge intact. I personally leave the bridges on because I've found that with many of the low-res atty's I will get some hot pops of juice on the tongue occasionally if the bridge is not there. Also, leaving the bridge on allows a drop or 2 of juice to linger in the mesh in close proximity to the coil and you get a few more "golden" drags than you do without a bridge.

Just my 2 cents, as a long time dripper....

Yeah that definitely makes sense. I think I will just stick with dewicking and stay away from debridging. I use LR 306 anyways so its not hard to get all of it out of there. Debridging really sounds more like breaking an atomizer rather than "modding" it to me.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan

Like I was saying, it is rare that I do that but if the atty is pretty much shot anyway I may debridge it so I can see the actual coil and access it for cleaning better. The only advantage is being able to see the coil in its entirety, sometimes there is something stuck on the coil causing a bad taste and it cant be seen with the bridge in there. Its just a last ditch effort type of thing ya know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread