resistance jumping with russian 91

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffk123

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Denton, Tx
Hey guys
Well I have had my russian for about a month or so and I love it but recently it has been misbehaving. I use 12 wraps of 28g on a 20g syringe needle ohms coming to about 1.2. But after vaping awhile the resistance will jump around since im using a device with an sx200 chip it gives me a bad burnt taste. The resistance has jumped up as high as 6 ohMs and that makes my sigelie push like 8.5 volts through yikes roasting coil juice and wick.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
The center pin is most likely the culprit, but also wanted to mention something else. I had a coil that was changing resistance and came to find out that one of the wraps in the coil was broken but still making contact. It finally "broke" when I tore the device down and took the coil off -- I could not see the problem until I loosened one of the screws and then it was very apparent.
The coil was a few weeks old and I never considered wire failure as a problem. Was using 30ga Kanthal and cotton.

carrielsal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
You have a loose connection. I had the same problem when I got my first Russian 91% and it nearly drove me nuts.

Remove the center screws, #18 and #19. Check the base insulator, #16, and make sure it's seated properly inside the screw hole.
Hold the positive screw block to the negative screw block with a pair of needle nose pliers so it doesn't move, then tighten the center screw, #18. Then reinstall screw #19.

9i5icg.jpg

carrielsal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Took me awhile to get back to this but your suggestions cleared out the ohm swinging about yay. I have officially decided 28g in the russian is a no go too thick and burns too hot anyways thanks for the help guys

Really? I have 1.4 ohm micro-coils made with 28G kanthan in both my 91%'s, and they're perfect. They are also very durable. Sometimes I get impatient removing the old wick and the coil gets bent. I just dry burn it and push the coils back together with a pair of tweezers.

carrielsal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
I had been wrapping it on a 5/64 drill bit but it seems like my cotton cant keep up with the rate at which the juice vaporizes I never had that problem with 30g kanthal
I use a jeweler's screwdriver to make my coils which is about the same size. Could you be using too much cotton? I roll mine a bit before running in through the coil. I pull the ends straight up, then screw on the chimney base. I trim the ends of the cotton just a few mm's higher than the top of the chimney base, then use a syringe tip to push the ends down on the deck. I have tried wetting the wick and placing on the deck before installing the chimney base, but the ends of the cotton always moved when I installed the chimney base.

Jeffk123

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Denton, Tx
I use a jeweler's screwdriver to make my coils which is about the same size. Could you be using too much cotton? I roll mine a bit before running in through the coil. I pull the ends straight up, then screw on the chimney base. I trim the ends of the cotton just a few mm's higher than the top of the chimney base, then use a syringe tip to push the ends down on the deck. I have tried wetting the wick and placing on the deck before installing the chimney base, but the ends of the cotton always moved when I installed the chimney base.
Thats the way I do it maybe I will try it again after my current coil burns out. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread