Resistance Wire - Kanthal/Nichrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
Agreed, especially on SS mesh wick. In my experience, the slightest 'short' or 'hot spot' will pop nichrome, while kanthal can take a lot more abuse, so you can make adjustments to get rid of the hot spot. On silica wicks, nichrome does the job just fine though. One advantage is I find it's a bit easier to wind into a neat coil than kanthal as it's more pliable.

Great tips, thanks!

Swarley

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Nor Cal
been paying attention to this thread and think i'm ready to bite the bullet on an aga-t and start this whole journey of coils and mesh... so if i'm using a kicked SB and want my coil to be between 2-3ohm, i want 34awg a-1, and what size mesh? what is the theory behind this? more holes per inch the better or what? was going to attempt the whole dual wick idea as that seems to make the most sense to me...

I would go with the 34awg or maybe 32awg. For the mesh, yes more holes per inch=better(better capillary action). I like my 500 mesh but it's expensive, so 400 seems to be good as well and is a bit cheaper;) For the dual wick if you want to get an ohm reading of 2-3ohms then you'd have to double that on each wick:ohmy: As an example 2 2ohm coils= 1ohm reading (give or take). So you would need 2 4ohm coils to get a 2ohm reading with dual wick n coils. If you want to go that route then go with 34awg for sure, maybe even 36awg if you want to get to a 3ohm reading:)

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Hey everyone!

Looking to do my first rebuild of a mini Vivi Nova.
Can anyone help me with what to buy?

I would like to work with the Kanthal as per the thread it seems easier to work with
Also, would probably be using a 400ish mesh since it seems easier to obtain and a little cheaper per this thread (although not sure about this either)

What size wire? What type of SS mesh? Would be best to get me in the ballpark of around 2.5 ohms? Single coil
Also, where is a good wrap article?
I have watched several videos on how to do it, but have not found a good one for how many wraps should equal what ohms.

I am still researching, but just want to be sure before placing an order.

Sovran

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
State side
I am just beginning to experiment after a lot of reading. As I under stand it 8 watts is the sweetspot. Now what are the pros and cons of higher/lower resistances and voltages as long as you maintain the 8 watts? battery life? faster coil heating? Is there any effect as long as the 8 watt sweetspot is maintained? This is assuming all setups are the same and theoretically and electrically perfect. LOL

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
I am just beginning to experiment after a lot of reading. As I under stand it 8 watts is the sweetspot. Now what are the pros and cons of higher/lower resistances and voltages as long as you maintain the 8 watts? battery life? faster coil heating? Is there any effect as long as the 8 watt sweetspot is maintained? This is assuming all setups are the same and theoretically and electrically perfect. LOL

The "sweet spot" is not necessarily 8watts for everyone mine is actually between 10-12. Higher resistance/ohm coils are easier on your batteries thus they last a little longer and I personally like higher ohms and voltage to hit my sweet spot :D

Sent while Hyper Vapin a Trippy Tipped Reo

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I definitely recommend people to use nichrome wire when building attys with silica wicks. I don't know what it is about kanthal but it is not as responsive as Nichrome. If you have two coils with the same resistance but one is Kanthal and the other is Nichrome, the nichrome coil will glow much faster at the same voltage. Because of this you get much less gunk build up on the silica with nichrome.....and in the long run you will have much cleaner vape. Also, to make up for the lack of responsiveness on the kanthal you either have to take longer drags or up the voltage, either way you will drain your batteries fast.

Now for genesis style attys with SS mesh wick, I have been using Kanthal. It is easier to make coils and to adjust the coils so they are firing perfect. You get a very clean vape. However, if you want to always have that perfect vape you have to adjust the coils daily if you are a heavy vapor. You will definitely have to use high wattage, so you will drain your batteries very fast. The other day I took out my ego-c with me to a card game. I vaped that thing all night long with my lava tube at 3.7v and I didn't go through one batttery. I would have gone through two batteries for sure with my DUD.

Since I am sick of always adjusting my coils, recently I started to use nichrome on the DUD. You really can't adjust the coils like you can with Kanthal wire. The way I wrap the coils is to wrap them tight and make the lead to the positive post as short as possible and as tight as possible. I make it even tighter by adjusting the top coil downward. As long as you don't have a hotspot you will be good. With the Nichrome coil I take shorter drags and use less voltage. My batteries last longer. You will produce tons of vapor with plenty of flavor. Even though the flavor is pretty damn good with nichrome it isn't as good to me as a perfectly adjusted kanthal coil. However, with nichrome you don't have to adjust the wires everyday to get a good vape.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
pmoraldo...you should. Yesterday, I did a set up that works way better than kanthal with nichrome 34 awg. So the only thing i did different is I warped the coil around the SS mesh like I do when I wrap a silica wick.....very tight and compact. The wraps are very close to each other. So on the DUD I brought down the middle screw all the way down. I flamed the wire with a lighter a couple of times. I did 5 tight and compact wraps and brought the lead around the positive post and made that as short and tight as possible. Then tighten the top screw. The only place that you can possibly have a hot spot is at the top coil. So to make the top coil even tighter, with your finger nail adjust the top coil down as much as possible. Once you do this adjust the rest of coils so they are all evenly spaced. In the end you will have coils that are evenly spaced together , except the top coil will have a steep angle. Once done making the coil, fill the tank with liquid and do some 10 second burns to season the coil. Your first vape will taste excellent.

THe coil came out at 1.8ohms and I am vaping it at 3.4 volts. It is a steam machine with great flavor. Usually with Kanthal I would be vaping it at 4.5v to get similar performance.

Damn I guess now I'm gonna have to give nichrome a try:laugh:

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Just bought some Kanthal A1 32awg

So looking at the chart.... it shows 1.15 per 1 inch?
So to get in around 1.8 to 2.2 ohms range... how long does it need to be?
I was thinking in the range of 1.5 to 1.9 inch?

Can this be done??? I have yet to recoil yet, so not sure how many wraps.
Or if I can double up the legs to get that extra length needed.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Not sure if you guys can answer this but I prefer a cooler vape at around 4.2-4.4 volts which gauge of kanthal burns the coolest?

There isn't really an answer to that as there are lots of variables and it depends how much room you have to make a the coil. If you have an atty with not much room available like a Bulli A2 or similar, then a 2.5-3 ohm coil of 34 ga. Kanthal would run fairly cool. If you had something like a DID which has a lot of room and a wide wick, then you could make a fairly cool running setup with 32 ga. wire.

As a general principal the lower the resistance the more power it will put out, and the larger the coil area the cooler the vapour will be, for a given amount of power.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
If you have a ohm meter where you screw in the RBA to test it can be quite fun and a learning experience.

I put the RBA on and proceed to make a coil without the wick. Test for ohms. You can adjust it and check it again. Surprising how a little smaller or larger coil will change the reading.

I am only a week into making coils and learning more every day I make them!

Sovran

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
State side
Thanks for the replies. I thought my post had gotten lost in the ether because it didnt show up in my profile posts. I just happened to run across it again. I guess that is due to it being posted to a sticky.
I am running a Vamo with VN tank, so battery life isnt a big deal. I always have a spare 18650 ready to drop in. So if I understand everything you guys have said is that a balanced system will work the same in regards to heat up time and battery life. So far on every juice I have tried I have to run between 5.5 and 7 watts or the wick wont keep up and I can taste the silica. I have already tried cotton and SS and wasnt very impressed. I was hoping that ohms/voltage might have been the key I was looking for.

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
Thanks for the replies. I thought my post had gotten lost in the ether because it didnt show up in my profile posts. I just happened to run across it again. I guess that is due to it being posted to a sticky.
I am running a Vamo with VN tank, so battery life isnt a big deal. I always have a spare 18650 ready to drop in. So if I understand everything you guys have said is that a balanced system will work the same in regards to heat up time and battery life. So far on every juice I have tried I have to run between 5.5 and 7 watts or the wick wont keep up and I can taste the silica. I have already tried cotton and SS and wasnt very impressed. I was hoping that ohms/voltage might have been the key I was looking for.

maybe try upping your watts 5.5-7 watts is pretty cool most sweet spots are around 8-9 and I personally prefer 10-12

Sovran

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
State side
I have gone up to 8-9 watts on many of my current juices. perhaps my problem is wicking because I get a dry burnt taste on the end of the first puff. I've been eyeing the AGA-T, maybe a larger wick capacity combined with more surface area for the coil is what will do it. My VN is pretty limited on both wick size and coil size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread