Resistance Wire - Kanthal/Nichrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Brown

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
chi
Hi, my wire burnt away and re wired my atomizer with a single strand of speaker wire, its working ok. Any dangers?
If apocalypse we would call you king

best scenario finding kanthal or nichrome round or flat ribbons would be a smashed open resistor -- dont ask me which resistor

eNkDm.jpg

UaDxO.jpg

I wrote this with the intention to post it in this thread, but had to place it in the new member section until I had 5 posts - info on a higher resistance Kanthal ribbon I used with great results. A 4/5 wrap gave me 2.6 Ohms, as opposed to the ~1 Ohms people have been getting with the other gauges:

The resistance of the .3x.1mm is on par with 32 gauge round Kanthal at 48.9 Ohm/m (the other stuff posted was only 29).

Note this is not an external link - it just goes to my thread.
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/409849-intorduction-info-kanthal-ribbon.html

Last edited:

toughguitar

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
Central FL
I have used both in different sizes and in different setups and find that the kanthal gives me more problems with hot spots and inconsistent resistance readings. The nichrome may be a little less stronger to work with, but is easier to work out problems and resistance readings don't change much. I guess you just need to experiment to find the right combination you like.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I've mainly used kanthal, but have also used nichrome, and didn't really notice a difference in flavor. Recently I noticed I was getting a pretty big difference in flavor with 2 similar drippers with about the same build, but one was kanthal and the other nichrome. I rebuilt the dripper that had nichrome with kanthal and the taste was back to normal.

The difference was pretty substantial for the juice I was testing, an extracted tobacco. The tobacco notes were muted quite a bit with the nichrome and the cherry flavor added had a different taste. I don't think all juices are effected as much or I probably would have noticed the difference earlier, but trying some more juices I know well on a nichrome build convinced me to stick with kanthal.

One person I know who vapes similar juices also said he doesn't like what nichrome does to flavor, but other than that I haven't seen a similar complaint from others.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

WageSlaveEscapist

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Oregon
Heads up about high resistance RBA's, I use a 5v 2a passthru and I tried it with 34 awg kanthal a-1 and as far as I can tell it just doesn't work. Where the coil goes to the leads it will hot spot like crazy and if you do manage to get rid of the hot spots, the vapor is terribly thin. I'm about to give up on 5v so I can use thicker coil wire, unless someone out there has it figured out.

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
Heads up about high resistance RBA's, I use a 5v 2a passthru and I tried it with 34 awg kanthal a-1 and as far as I can tell it just doesn't work. Where the coil goes to the leads it will hot spot like crazy and if you do manage to get rid of the hot spots, the vapor is terribly thin. I'm about to give up on 5v so I can use thicker coil wire, unless someone out there has it figured out.

I run 6v in a couple of my Reos and the thinnest wire I use is 32awg works great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread