Status
Not open for further replies.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I just received this email from the White House. This is a response to the Bill Godshall petition I signed asking for no regulation that would deny easy and affordable access to e-cigarettes.

I would hope that people would avail themselves of the opportunity to politely comment on the proposed regulations using your own experience with e-cigs as well as fact and science-based arguments. It's important to take the time to gather relevant facts and cites for studies before commenting. We have 75 days in which to comment (7/9/2014). There is also a link to let the White House know what you think of their response to our petition.

Please read CASAA: CASAA Assessment of FDA Deeming Regulation, April 25, 2014 to help understand what a serious threat to vaping these proposed FDA regulations will be.

--------------------------------------------------
Regulation of Electronic Cigarettes by the FDA

By Mitch Zeller, the Director of the Food and Drug Administration's Center for tobacco Products.

Thank you for your petition on electronic cigarettes.

First things first: While we are seeking to regulate products like electronic cigarettes, the proposed regulation would not ban them.

Some background, which you may already know: The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act that Congress passed in 2009 gave the FDA immediate authority to regulate certain tobacco products -- cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco -- under the Federal Food, Drug, & Cosmetic Act. And while it didn't apply right away to other tobacco products, such as electronic cigarettes, the law gave the FDA authority to cover those products through regulation.

We've issued a proposed rule to allow the FDA to regulate those products in the April 25, 2014 issue of the Federal Register. Electronic cigarettes containing nicotine derived from tobacco would meet the statutory definition of "tobacco product" and so they'd be subject to the FD&C Act when the proposed rule is finalized.

Now the petition states that sections sections 905 and 910 of the FD&C Act would "ban all e-cigarettes," and that's not true.

If the FDA finalizes the rule in its current form, electronic cigarettes manufacturers will need authorization to sell products not commercially marketed as of February 15, 2007 -- but this doesn't mean these products would be banned. Sections 905 and 910 describe the applications and reports manufacturers will need to submit to sell their products.

There will be two primary ways for tobacco products to obtain that authorization: either an application for "substantial equivalence," or an application for premarket approval.

"Substantial equivalence" would ask manufacturers to compare their products to another product that was already commercially marketed by February 15, 2007 or that was previously found by FDA to be substantially equivalent -- though we acknowledge this may be challenging for electronic cigarettes. Second would be the premarket tobacco application, where a manufacturer submits information to the FDA establishing it would be "appropriate for the protection of public health" to allow the product to be marketed.

We know that those applications may require time and resources to develop. That's why the FDA does not intend to take legal action against manufacturers for marketing their products without prior authorization until the FDA issues its decision on the application -- so long as the manufacturer gets its application in within two years and thirty days after the final rule is published. Our hope is to provide manufacturers flexibility as the FDA completes its review.

So why are we seeking to regulate these products in the first place? As we discuss in the proposed rule, though all tobacco products are potentially harmful and potentially addictive, different categories of tobacco products may have the potential for varying effects on public health. There's still a lot we don't know about these products, and this rule will expand the amount of information available to the FDA and the public -- that's good for everyone.

Some people believe that e-cigarettes may help smokers quit smoking and that switching from regular cigarettes to e-cigarettes may reduce exposure to harmful components and constituents in cigarette smoke. But again, we don't know enough to make that call. This rule would help us to continue to analyze the potential benefits and risks of e-cigarettes, including their impact on nonusers and on the population as a whole.

It's important to remember that this rule isn't final yet, though. We're seeking comments on the proposed rule as to how e-cigarettes should be regulated based on the continuum of nicotine-delivering products, and the potential benefits and risks associated with e-cigarettes.

The opportunity to comment on FDA's proposed rule is now open and comments are due on July 9, 2014. We encourage you to do so, and to provide any data and information you may have to support your comments.

Related links:

See the proposed rule
Submit a comment on the proposed rule

Tell us what you think about this response and We the People..

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Yes, Canned email.

I do not like that they have access to our emails for signing a petition that has not yet been fulfilled and presented.
I do not appreciate that they wish to feed me more propaganda rather than ask to meet and discuss my reasoning.
I do not like their claim that this will give them the ability to study the effects on public health/safety.

Since when does the FDA need Regulations on anything in order to study it?

This is purely one more attempt to place the cart before the horse in hopes of dragging the horse off a cliff.:mad:

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
1. There's a product already on the market and approved called Nicorette Quick Mist that contains more nicotine than the highest nicotine available in ejuice. It is sprayed into the mouth, and each spray contains approximately 1 mg of nicotine. Has same ingredients as ejuice PLUS 10 more. No hew and cry concerning the dangers to children and its flavor enticing to same.

2. Patches with nicotine applied and left for hours directly on the skin.

3. Gum and lozenges used in mouth.

4. Plenty of and long term studies by the Swiss on SNU's concering long term use of nicotine.

5. Studies by Boston U. and the Greeks concerning the vapor/mist exhaled.

6. Proplyene glycol used as mist in hospitals?

7. How long were studies done before Chantix put on market? Nicorette Quick Mist?

8. Is it true that a mfg. of ejuice would have to pay $1500 per ingredient PER LEVEL of nicotine to get approval from FDA besides application fees and attorney fees to get just one flavor approved; thereby, having to pay somewhere around $60,000 per flavor of juice for 4 levels of nicotine?

9. Not concerned about banning. Concerned about affordability. Concerned about limiting choices of ejuice and equipment. Concerned about Government stiffling advances in product.

10. What cost to people who vape 0 nicotine?

Off the top of my head, that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure to think of more later.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Of coarse the FDA is not outright banning ecigs, they can't, it's not within their jurisdiction to outright ban. Congress did give them to power to regulate tobacco products and by deeming ecigs to be a tobacco product that does give them the right to "regulate" which depending upon what regulations they come up with can have the same effect as a ban without being an outright ban.

Have to love the way they acknowledged that "Substantial equivalence" could be "challenging" for ecigs. In all of the discussions of this topic on ECF in the past 3 years not one ecig product has been found to have been on the market in the US prior to Feb 2007 so it would appear SE is a moot point for ecigs even though as an option within a regulation it sounds reasonable. :rolleyes:

The premarket tobacco application method, where a manufacturer submits information to the FDA establishing it would be "appropriate for the protection of public health" to allow the product to be marketed is no easy nor inexpensive pathway to approval. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the FDA has approved any tobacco products thus far under this method. Find it hard to beleive they would suddenly start approving very many ecig products under this method IF the vendors could come up with the funding to submit an application.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Have to love the way they acknowledged that "Substantial equivalence" could be "challenging" for ecigs. In all of the discussions of this topic on ECF in the past 3 years not one ecig product has been found to have been on the market in the US prior to Feb 2007 so it would appear SE is a moot point for ecigs even though as an option within a regulation it sounds reasonable. :rolleyes:

Commercial fog machines have been on the market much longer and the only significant difference is the size. Ecigs add flavoring and nicotine to the liquid, but fog machines still use a VG based liquid, just like ecigs.

Papajohns

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
LB, CA, USA
What I find idiotic is labeling ecigs a tobacco product. It contains no tobacco so they just sound like uneducated twits. That's like clumping beer and root beer together. Yes they sound similar, but they're really not close at all.

The nicotine is almost always derived from tobacco plants. Thus, it can be classified as a tobacco product. Problem is, you can buy all the ingredients to make the liquid yourself, and the FDA has absolutely no way to regulate those that do.

Bgren99

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
MA
-And while it didn't apply right away to other tobacco products, such as electronic cigarettes, the law gave the FDA authority to cover those products through regulation.-

And the "slight of hand" continues...I would LOVE to try one of these "E-Cigs" that vape tobacco, only problem is i can't seem to find one. Ecigs are not a tobacco product as there is no tobacco in anything that comes in an ecig. If Ecigs are tobacco products, then Oxycontin is "H" and they might as well perscribe it crushed up in little baggies.

Last edited:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
What urks me, is the fact that people cannot classify it as a safer alternative to cigarettes when both research and common knowlege in the E-cigarette industry has shown otherwise. The simple fact that there are no carcinogens in either propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerine, Nicotine, and, say, Apple flavor indicate that it at least reduces the lung cancer deaths. Just the fact that there are no carcinogens in the product make it a safer product.

There have been studies on Propylene glycol... yes, it was injected, but in mass ammounts... no cancer. To my knowlege, there have never been any reported issues with propylene glycol related cancer in the last 20 years, and it HAS been inhaled for that long. The whole fact that it is used as an antifreeze was brought on that the fact that the antifreeze Ethelyne glycol is deadly.. so they wanted something safe.

Vegetable Glycerine should be treated the same as Propylene glycol.. no cancer there.

Nicotine... Believe it or not, it's not a carcinogen. It does increase the heart rate a bit, so it can cause cardiovascular problems down the road. It can be deadly concentrated, but at a regular vapor's level, it's not deadly.

So, Just the fact alone that it's not a carcinogen alone accounts for at least %33 of what smokers die from. just that, and it's safer....

...also, they cannot promote Ecigs as a Tobacco free device? I don't see any tobacco in mine... sure, chances are the nicotine came from tobaco, but it could've come from a potato or eggplant.

Tmg666

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2014
Green bay, Wisconsin
The nicotine is almost always derived from tobacco plants. Thus, it can be classified as a tobacco product. Problem is, you can buy all the ingredients to make the liquid yourself, and the FDA has absolutely no way to regulate those that do.

Yes but how many ejuices use synthetic nicotine? While not all of it is obviously, there is still the other plants that contain nicotine the tobacco plant is most effective. But I don't think it should be labeled as a tobacco product in whole ss theyre so many ways to create it.

milescadre

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
The way I see it is its just another way for government to rule over our lives.

You take soemthing harmless, and because of the fear of the unknown, they ban it. Wait, sorry, "Regulate" it (By regulate they mean tax the .... out of it and make it impossible ot sell)

And even if they do find out its hazardous to your health, It shouldnt be their concern.

In any case, I'm just tired of governemnt telling me what I can and cant do and how to live my life >.< I thought America was supposed to be free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread