• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Responsibilities as vapers in the red dot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Decided to start this thread just because it bugs me to no end.

I've hopped through a few threads and seen a number of people (some noobs, some not so) talking about rebuilding RBAs and using it on a mech mod without any knowledge of ohms law or even worse, without any means of checking the resistance of their coils.

STOP. I know some people enjoy "cloud chasing". I know some people enjoy getting really warm vape. I know some people love the intense flavor. But if you have no knowledge about ohms law, battery safety or the means to measure the resistance of what you build, STOP.

Before I go into the most important reason why, let's talk about simple personal safety first.

A short is ****ing dangerous. Shorts cause the batteries to discharge at a much higher amperage that it can handle. And when that happens, your battery WILL heat up, vent, and possible explode. And if you look up, the high discharge batteries we use are either li-ion or some form of hybrids. And these batteries can and WILL be explosive if stressed too much.

Some people don't even know what amp discharge limits of their batteries are and dive right into subohming on a mech. Try pulling 20amps from a standard AW IMR battery, and it will blow.

You will damage your mods, and you will hurt yourself.

But you see, that's all "selfish" reasons as to why you should bother to actually learn about what you're doing. There's smth far more important.

We ALL know how ......ed our government is. We know all sorts of lame reason they give for banning ecigs. The LAST, ABSOLUTE LAST, thing we ever need, is for one selfish and ignorant bugger to do something stupid, and actually GIVE the government a real and legitimate reason to ban this for good for ALL of us. The truth of the matter is, every single one of us have the potential to either be a testimony to how life-changing vaping is, OR severely screw it up for everyone. Even if someone out there doesn't really care about getting a scarred up face, please take some time off and try to actually understand the responsibility that each of us have towards every single other vaper in the red dot.

So please. I'm not saying cloud chasing or subohming or mech modding is wrong. Because there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. But if anyone wants to do it, do the rest of us a favor and actually learn about it before doing so. That's our only shot of ever having it legalized in the red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigmazxcs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
The Land of ERP and Pee-A-Pee
Decided to start this thread just because it bugs me to no end.

I've hopped through a few threads and seen a number of people (some noobs, some not so) talking about rebuilding RBAs and using it on a mech mod without any knowledge of ohms law or even worse, without any means of checking the resistance of their coils.

STOP. I know some people enjoy "cloud chasing". I know some people enjoy getting really warm vape. I know some people love the intense flavor. But if you have no knowledge about ohms law, battery safety or the means to measure the resistance of what you build, STOP.

Before I go into the most important reason why, let's talk about simple personal safety first.

A short is ****ing dangerous. Shorts cause the batteries to discharge at a much higher amperage that it can handle. And when that happens, your battery WILL heat up, vent, and possible explode. And if you look up, the high discharge batteries we use are either li-ion or some form of hybrids. And these batteries can and WILL be explosive if stressed too much.

Some people don't even know what amp discharge limits of their batteries are and dive right into subohming on a mech. Try pulling 20amps from a standard AW IMR battery, and it will blow.

You will damage your mods, and you will hurt yourself.

But you see, that's all "selfish" reasons as to why you should bother to actually learn about what you're doing. There's smth far more important.

We ALL know how ......ed our government is. We know all sorts of lame reason they give for banning ecigs. The LAST, ABSOLUTE LAST, thing we ever need, is for one selfish and ignorant bugger to do something stupid, and actually GIVE the government a real and legitimate reason to ban this for good for ALL of us. The truth of the matter is, every single one of us have the potential to either be a testimony to how life-changing vaping is, OR severely screw it up for everyone. Even if someone out there doesn't really care about getting a scarred up face, please take some time off and try to actually understand the responsibility that each of us have towards every single other vaper in the red dot.

So please. I'm not saying cloud chasing or subohming or mech modding is wrong. Because there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. But if anyone wants to do it, do the rest of us a favor and actually learn about it before doing so. That's our only shot of ever having it legalized in the red dot.

Well said! I'm quite worried with my 0.7ohm build at first. But I figured its fine on my AW IC 18500. After checking with many others, including an ECF member from America, he told me IC batts will be pretty safe since they cut themselves off at dangerous amperage. :) I guess it's safe to advice newbies to use IC batts to prevent accidental gore.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Just to be clear, "IC" doesn't mean anything apart from what compounds are used within the battery itself. IMR generally uses Lithium Manganese and IC generally uses LiCoO2. By itself, it can either be protected or unprotected. That depends entirely on the circuitry used by the manufacturer. So technically a IC battery can be unprotected, although specifically in your case, AW sells protected IC batteries. Just be careful if you venture outside to other manufacturers; you need to check if it's protected or not.

Additionally, ICR batteries' chemical composition inherently makes it more combustible, and get stressed more easily than IMRs. That additional "risk" is negated by the protection circuitry though (IF you buy protected ICR batteries).

Also one other thing that a lot of people don't realize. for the same "model/manufacturer", an 18650, 18500, 18490 and 18350 will ALL have different amp discharge limitations. Just because an AW IMR battery has a 10A discharge limit doesn't mean that an 18490 or 18350 will have the same discharge limit (8A for 18490, 6A for 18350). Just make sure to check the specifications of the batteries when you're buying them.

In any case, generally it's just a really bad idea for noobs to be even going into rebuildables and mechs. heck, as long as anyone is thinking of subohming or using a mech, its too damned important to understand ohms law, battery safety and just general stuff like these. I'm dreading the day I come back to the red dot and have to deal with all these stupid laws and limitations

and oh yes, ECF is a ridiculously good resource for learning all these stuff.

Last edited:

EU6EN3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
red dot
Yes.. totally agreed.. our Gov can up come up 1001 reasons (like fine for getting into a clowded MRT!!)

My fren just started vaping and he went to Sim lim sq and got a battery for his mod. The saleman sold him a non branded 18650 for $25. I took it up and threw it away when he showed me, i rather him killed by smoking than by battery explosion. Evenually i got him a Pansonic NCR 18650A 3100Mah ( the new Orbtronic protected 18650 Li-ion 3100mAh battery) for just $20.

Lets not appear in the newspaper again for the wrong reason. So before you do anything stupid please think for your family and others that you may affect.

Last edited:

Sigmazxcs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
The Land of ERP and Pee-A-Pee
Yeah that's what I said. In his case he's probably using the black protected one from AW. I just got a little too long winded because I hope no one gets the wrong impression that all ICR batteries are automatically protect. Yup

Yeap. I'm using the protected ones. Hell, I'll never go unprotected. I chose 18500 even though it's quite out of the norm, cause my flashlight uses it. So for convenience sake, I use 18500. Gives me a chance to properly cycle all my batteries.

My riskies build was an accidental 0.5ohm build. Was running it on my AW IC 18500. I didn't know if it could handle the output. But it did fire properly and I did use it for a few days. After that, I took a safer 0.7 instead. Turns out that 0.5 is safe to use. Any advice on this?

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Lucky for him, he had you to help watch his ... hahahah. Actually tbh out of ALL the vape gears we can get, chargers and batteries are pretty much the only thing we can get readily and without concern. (If we ignore plain PG, VG and flavoring la of course). There should be no reason why any of us should be taking pointless risk with batteries. Plus a quality 2000mah battery from AW or Panasonic will easily last close to a year assuming you use one battery a day and don't over-discharge them

Edit: eh btw I just checked out that battery. The spec shows that it's max operating range is 6-ish A. best to keep around that range to maintain battery life.

Last edited:

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Yeap. I'm using the protected ones. Hell, I'll never go unprotected. I chose 18500 even though it's quite out of the norm, cause my flashlight uses it. So for convenience sake, I use 18500. Gives me a chance to properly cycle all my batteries.

My riskies build was an accidental 0.5ohm build. Was running it on my AW IC 18500. I didn't know if it could handle the output. But it did fire properly and I did use it for a few days. After that, I took a safer 0.7 instead. Turns out that 0.5 is safe to use. Any advice on this?

Very simply, a fully charged battery is 4.2V. So that's when the current is highest and thus "riskiest"

Using ohms law, a 0.7 ohms coil will draw 4.2V divided by 0.7 = 6A of current.

Now here's the thing, diff manufacturers make batteries with different output limit. Panasonic and Efest for example have new batteries which can go as high as 30A current discharge. But that is the max limit, ie going to the limit will stress the battery. That can potentially cause the battery to overheat, and almost definitely shorten battery life. In most cases, you wanna stay 10 - 20% below the max limit. For me, I use AW IMR 18650 2000 mah, so I try not to exceed 8A. I also have a 30A limit Panasonic I use exclusively when I subohm on my nemmy. But tbh I never ever get close to even 20A, but at least I have a peace of mind knowing I'm well within range.

Anyways my advice to you would be if you don't mind, either use a 18650 battery with at least 10A limit, or try to find a 18500 battery with at least 10A also (Panasonic is a bloody good brand). I'm pretty sure that your mod runs warm when you're using a fresh battery and 0.7ohms right? :p

Also just for comparison right, if you were running a 0.5 ohms coil, it will draw 8.4 A.drawing 8.4 A from a battery with a 8A limit is, well, a bad idea hahaha

EU6EN3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
red dot
For Subohm user you may wann try this battery

Panasonic 2900mAh NCR18650PD 18650 Li-ion High Current 10A rechargeable battery cell - Flat Top - Panasonic.

Ideal 18650 High Drain battery cell for any device where high current AND long run time are the high priority.

Specifications:

Battery type: 18650 Li-ion High current (High discharge rate)
Capacity: 2900mAh
Max Discharge (constant current): 10A
Max Discharge Pulse Current (5-6 sec.): 18A
Full charge: 4.2V
Charging method: CC/CV
Minimum charging current: 0.6A (600mA)
Rapid Charging current: 1.35A (1350mA)
Nominal (storage) voltage: 3.6V-3.7V
Minimum discharge voltage level: 2.5V
Dimensions: W 18.4mm x H 65.4mm
Weight: 45g
Flat Top: Yes
Rechargeable: Yes

Nouseforanick

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Beside you
Just to add, if you don't know anything about batteries, your best bet would be to use the sony 30amp green battery. Those are pretty safe IMO. Have been using those for quite awhile with no problem.
Gonna get those 30A or LG30A soon to standby for the DNA 30 box mod which i'm going to do..

Domtine

Lim Peh
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
North Korea with Disneyland
reminds me of a hokkien saying....jiao kia mm paht lahstic....

baby bird don't know lahstic(catapult)

I learned the hard way even though I'm an engineer. Sometimes having the knowledge makes one complacent.

I shorted out a ultrafire once and it gave me lotsa heat and some funny smelling liquid. then again UF is not the brand you should go for.

Nouseforanick

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Beside you
reminds me of a hokkien saying....jiao kia mm paht lahstic....

baby bird don't know lahstic(catapult)

I learned the hard way even though I'm an engineer. Sometimes having the knowledge makes one complacent.

I shorted out a ultrafire once and it gave me lotsa heat and some funny smelling liquid. then again UF is not the brand you should go for.

And my encik last time use to continue that quote with

"gu kia mm pah lao hor"

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Very good sharing about this matter. Safety is one aspect, however I believe the responsibility of vaping in public, is also something to take note of.

Yeah. Actually I wanted to write about that and safety. But I thought my post sounded pretty angsty as it is and didn't wanna sound too offensive so I stuck to what I thought was more impt. But. Yeah. I can never understand why some people are doing stupid things like vaping in the MRT or just blowing big ... clouds in the middle of the public. Esp guys. Never learn from army meh? Want to do can do, just don't get caught.

Just to add, if you don't know anything about batteries, your best bet would be to use the sony 30amp green battery. Those are pretty safe IMO. Have been using those for quite awhile with no problem.

Panasonic (I think it's the SX30) and Sony both make the best 30A limit high drain batteries imo.

Getting at least the efest 2200Mah rated at 10C for dna30 box mods also.

solid choice of battery! (btw to anyone seeing this, 10C rating is NOT 10A discharge rating. 2 different things. If anyone is interested to know what the difference is, feel free to ask :) )

If you could only get that info to the general public where kids are blowing massive clouds...
If only I can pin those kids down and give them a big ... whooping. Scowls.

also shoutout to Sigmazxcs, I tried looking for 18500 that's solid. Unfortunately I didn't have much success. Honestly if you're running anywhere from 0.7 to 1 ohms, you're good to go. Unless you decide to go into the 0.3 - 0.5 zone. that's when ..... gets real

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread