Rethinking tobacco flavors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
I reordered what used to be my favorite e-liquid. Dekang Gold and Silver. I know, not a premium. Unfortunately, it didn't taste the same. I have it steeping, but I'm not confident that will fix my problem. What I liked about it was that it had a subtle analog like tobacco flavor, but no fruity or caramel/chocolate/vanilla flavor. My V4L Parliment juice is my only juice that I currently like and I'm almost out.

I've been a cigar smoker for a long time. I love the taste of a good cigar, but I hate flavored cigars. Most of the juices I've tried seem to be more like flavored cigars and pipe tobacco then a pure tobacco. If I were making a DIY juice, I think I'd be tempted to use flavors like Caramel or Cocoa to give hints of the desirable flavors. But, I'm now thinking this is a mistake.

For tasting cigars, you can use a flavor wheel. This is a visual representation of what flavors you may pull out. It can range from grassy to earthy to a more exotic spice like nutmeg. It can be leathery or peppery. But here's the problem. There are no synthetic or natural flavors added to these cigars. The flavors are natural and characteristics of the leaves and even the soil. Cubans seem to have a exotic spice twang with some barnyard hints. Dominicans are earthy and at best have a nice toasted chestnut flavor. Nicaraguans are spicy peppery. All of the flavors are subtle. You couldn't replicate those flavors with natural or artificial flavorings.

I think the liquid chemists tend to try to replicate them with artificial or natural flavors forgetting that the flavors comes from the leaf itself. Then, the leaf flavor gets overpowered by the followup flavors. These followup flavors destroy it for me.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone, but if it does, and it sounds familiar; I'd love to know what juices you like. I'm not looking for a cigar juice, more of an analog replacement. But the reason I use cigars as an example is that like cigarettes there are no flavors added. Unfortunately, you don't see many cigarette flavor wheels, but my own experience shows me that the flavors are similar to cigars. Inhaling cigarette smoke does change the way you experience it and the taste. I've never liked pipe tobacco, but if I did, I suspect I'd have an easier time finding a juice.

So if anyone understands this or feels the same way, I'd love to know what you are vaping. I think I have about a week of V4L parliament left, but I'm heading on vacation in two weeks. I'd love to stay of the analogs during the trip, but every time I try a bad juice, I tend to light one up.

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
You should check out the Natural Tobaccos thread. There are many vendors making juice from extracted tobacco, and most of them have liquids that are just tobacco.

I've been reading that thread for a week and only made it halfway through. :D

Every-time, I find a tobacco that sounds like it may work for me, someone points out a similar juice that I've tried and didn't like.

I'm thinking lots of the NET's are pipe tobacco. I'm even having trouble IDing which juices are NET's themselves.

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
I've been reading that thread for a week and only made it halfway through. :D

Every-time, I find a tobacco that sounds like it may work for me, someone points out a similar juice that I've tried and didn't like.

I'm thinking lots of the NET's are pipe tobacco. I'm even having trouble IDing which juices are NET's themselves.

Check out the very authentic cigar flavors at Want2Vape, N-E-T.com, and QuickNicJuice. If you post what flavor you are looking for in the NT thread, you'll get more specific recommendations. Compared to what you have tried, NETs will be a whole new ball game.

Edit: Sorry thought you were looking for cigar flavors. The rest still applies.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I've had my eyes on this one, so I just ordered it. I think it's my first NET. Hopefully I like it.

If not, it looks like I'm set for a nice juice trade.

My vape buddy ordered a big sampler from them, and I tried them all. None of them were really for me but I could definitely see why some people would like them. The only other NET I've tried is stuff from Heather's and I really liked those, but I could see how they would be maybe too sweet and too idk complicated?

The one's from that site seem like they are very true to their tobacco bases, most were way to earthy for me; but, that Big Spirit just screams cigarette tobacco. Hope you like it :)

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Chop up a cigar, soak it in pg/vg, or use some other extraction method, and you have a cigar NET. Do the same with pipe tobacco, and you have a pipe NET. Do the same with cigarette tobacco, and you have a cigarette NET... in theory.

Some of these actually play differently than the source they came from to different vapers. Patriot from GoodeJuice is a good example. It's straight up pipe tobacco with no additives, but for many it plays like a cigar or cigarette vape.

For a cigarette type NET in either execution or feel, there's only a handful available. Wrangler Light and Turkish from GeJ fits the bill for some. Big Spirit from N-E-T and BOMB from CravinVapes I think extract American Spirit RYO tobacco. M-Type from ThePlumeRoom plays like a cig NET for many. And Paris from Want2Vape plays like a fancy Euro cig.

I'm sure there's several others that I haven't listed too, but the ones going for pipe or cigar are much more common.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
Some of these actually play differently than the source they came from to different vapers. Patriot from GoodeJuice is a good example. It's straight up pipe tobacco with no additives, but for many it plays like a cigar or cigarette vape.

Ain't that the truth? I've got some here and it definitely doesn't say "pipe tobacco" to me, more like a cigar or a very strong cigarette.

I vape mostly NETs because I love the taste. But when I want something that feels like smoking a cig I grab one of these three.
Halo Torque56
Halo Freedom
Hangsen RY6

These are all LABacco's but somehow they scratch that itch I get for an analog.

Of those three, I've only tried Torque but I certainly agree in that case. It's my first-thing-in-the-morning vape for when I need something that really hits like a cigarette. I like to mix it with other juices to give it some depth but Torque is definitely the ingredient that provides the "punch."

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
Unfortunately, I didn't really care for the Halo tobacco flavors. While I loved the mouth feel and throat hit, each one had a finish that I couln't handle.

Though I must admit they are very close to analogs. I plan on trying them again in a week.

I found that I can get a nice flavor by mixing DK-555 with my parliment/congress juices I can give them a better finish and also hopefully make them last longer.

So far I guess I just prefer the cheaper juices. Well see how the NATs go.

vangroover

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Seems every time I get the chance, I recommend the tobaccos from House of Liquid - a UK vendor. Amazing flavour, IMO. They are NETs. The Guevara and Cigarillos Naturales, part of their "El Toro" line, are fantastic in terms of cigar flavour (though I'm not an expert on cigars). No other flavours are added, just pure tobacco (aged in oak barrels, apparently!).

The Finest eLiquid Brands Worldwide

X6X8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Paris, Tx, USA
I tried Dekangs Four Seasons. Spring and Summer had pleasant cigarette type flavors. I liked Spring the best, but it was in a very low nicotine level. 6mg/ml I think. Autumn had a pipe tobacco taste to me, and Winter had a strong coffee and cigar type taste?

Anyway, I prefer a cigarette flavor, and was initially looking for the Holy Grail of the perfect Marlboro Red in an e-liquid. I never found it. But I did finally settle in with Dekangs USA Mix. I've vaped enough of it that I really like it now, so I am satisfied .

mrfixit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Akron, Ohio
I saw a video awhile back where they bought a untreated natural tobacco and put the whole pouch into a container filled with either pg or vg or combo for a period of time then strained it. Of course you would maybe need to add some additional nic to it depending on your current strength. It seemed to work good and imparted the flavor of the tobacco fairly well. If I can find it again I'll post a link for you. I used High Desert Vapes 555 flavor drops in a 70/30 pg/vg mix about 3/4 drops let it sit for a day to 2 days and it was pretty good as a tobacco vape. I'm now experimenting with another of theirs called tobacco blend it has,that sweet grassy flavor but its not over bearing.

cramer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Cameron Park, CA
My vape buddy ordered a big sampler from them, and I tried them all. None of them were really for me but I could definitely see why some people would like them. The only other NET I've tried is stuff from Heather's and I really liked those, but I could see how they would be maybe too sweet and too idk complicated?

The one's from that site seem like they are very true to their tobacco bases, most were way to earthy for me; but, that Big Spirit just screams cigarette tobacco. Hope you like it :)

Give it some steep time...
Just tried the Gold again after a week steep and enjoying it so much more now than when I first got it...

cramer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Cameron Park, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread