Reusing glass hot sauce bottles to store flavoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Hi, I realize it sounds like a bad idea but I was looking around the house for glass bottles to reuse for storing 4oz of TFA Mountain Dew flavoring which came in plastic.. I came across an aging bottle of Cholula hot sauce that was low and seemed to be changing color (I have many, MANY hot sauces).

I was able to get the label off - btw, easiest bottle I've EVER been able to get the label off of. Anyways, I have rinsed it out well with hot water and no longer see any bits in there. Under the plastic cap is still yellow, but not much smell was noticed on the cap and none in the glass bottle. I have it soaking in what was hot water - with a tad of isopropyl alcohol just to make sure. I'll probably use some more IPA after its soaking to try and get the remaining smell off the bottle cap.

A problem I might foresee is that the top has no foam liner or anything - just straight plastic. Yet when screwing the cap on it seems to get plenty tight. I've also ordered some rolls of teflon tape (aka plumbers tape), but I've never used the stuff before - so I'm at a loss on how (or if) it should be used.

So I'm wondering:
1) Is it likely that the hot-sauce flavoring will taint the Mnt. Dew flavoring?
And 2) Will the cap be tight enough as-is, or should something be done to the top - like use the teflon tape somehow - or SOMEthing?

TIA

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
All my WL flavorings come in glass vials with plastic lids, no paper or rubber inside. They are still sealed well, no leaks, and no scent outside of the vial. I think you'll be okay if you can get the hot sauce OIL out of the bottle. You'll probably need to soak it in straight ISA or pure grain alcohol to really cut the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread