images

• Disagree
    Reactions: Ladiekali

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Think it would be dangerous to swap out the battery while plugged in?

My evic mini will hold it's time if I swap the battery while it is plugged in via USB.
    YMMV

cheers
    I

FWIW: A clock on a device is a tertiary feature. Like colored lights and bespoke logos.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    @Mooch, is it safe to remove internal batteries and replace them with charged ones WHILE the USB port is plugged in? A member is having trouble with resetting her clock on her mod every time she switches out the batteries? Or would it be safer to a) just charge via USB or b) reset the clock?

Anna

Sorry, I don't know.
    It would depend on the mod. Probably best to contact the manufacturer.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    so if the manufacturer says it's ok to charge via USB, then it's fine?

If the manufacturer is correct then it is. :)
    If they have a well designed circuit that is working properly in this case and they say it's ok then it might be. I just have no idea, sorry. There's just no way for me to know.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    Okay, I read through most posts, so if I have repeated anyone, great minds think alike,lol.

First never charge a multi-battery mod internally, because it will not charge the batteries equally, it build up heat, and it's just straight up hard on the boards. Sure they say you can but what do they care, if it breaks you have to buy another, cause most warranties aren't worth a crap. Then there's the fact by the time you pay to ship to and from China and waited, you already bought another mod.

To stop clock reset, just plug into a charger and pull batteries. It's 5v DC, that's less than a 9v battery in your smoke detector and the same ones you can trick people to stick on their tongues. Hurts like hell in your mouth but not dangerous, as there is less than half an amp load.

1st rule in electricity, AMPS kill not VOLTAGE. 110v kills more people than 220v, why you ask, well 110 hangs on 220 blows you off it, usually, lol. Doesn't matter anyways, as we're working with low voltage DC not high voltage AC.

Now in having said all that, using on board charging here and there, isn't going to destroy anything on a dual battery mod. Relying on on-board 100% will kill the batteries faster as the first battery in sequence will always charge first and deplete first. Label matched sets A,B and C if 3 battery mod and rotate them each use. Rotating will equal out SAG that builds up from cycling.

This is from 1st hand experience as well as 20+ years experience in the electrical field: residential, commercial, industrial, CAT-5, RG-6, fiber optic, security systems, home automation, control wiring, fire control, elevator, transformer and generator placement (including transfer switches and switch gears). I've been hurt and have had friends that have been killed by electricity.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    thank you for that explanation.

You're welcome and I didn't mean it to be smart. Too many people see these things as just "batteries". The batteries we use are pulling more amps than the outlets in our homes, that we use to charge them. I want people to be educated and safe, no one needs to get hurt because of not understanding.

Here's a good example, if you live in the US, your clothes dryer is on a 30 amp breaker. Anything happens over 30 amps, the breaker trips and turns off power (supposed to). An 18650 battery with a coil below .25 ohms can draw over 30 amps. Now imagine how hot and big your dryer is and how small that battery is, just kinda crazy in that aspect, lol. I mean think about it, you can have a little wire drawing more of a current load (power) than a big ol' box drying 5lbs. of clothes, it's insane.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2013
    Florida
    it's been pretty scary for me to move to dual mod. I avoided it for as long as possible because i didn't understand. but i strictly vape 40 or more watts now.

And my parents just started sub ohming. My dad is in the 70 watt range. so i'm trying to explain to them battery safety and have them arguing that the book that came with the mod says you can charge it via usb cable!

i did not know to alternate the slots the married batteries were in.
    I basically just marry a pair, charge them together and use them together. never paid attention to how they were placed in the mod.

i did thanks to your post convince them to not charge via the charge port.

i told them this is what i do... if i'm in the car and my battery is dieing.. yes i'll plug it in the charge port. But if i'm home i swap batteries or pick a different mod.

Reactions: stols001

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Well, to keep the clock when changing batteries, just pull one, replace it quickly, do the other. Presto! Clock keeps on ticking.
    The rest is all academic. If you want to use USB for charging, use USB. If the mod doesn't do a balanced job charging, it melts, batteries vent, USB connector breaks, or the other problems I've read along the way, you know the mod isn't good for USB charging. If it does as it should, it's good.

Personally I do not and have never charged batteries in a mod. It used to be a crap shoot, and was always slow. Today, some mods offer 2A onboard charging. I have a GyrFalcon All-44 that charges my batteries outside the mod so I can continue vaping and always have fully charged batteries on hand.

Only thing I can tell you for certain is not to ever trust any charger while you sleep. The cost/benefit isn't good on that one. Though I'm sure I'll have many chime in with 'I always charge in mod while I sleep'. To which I reply, an accident waiting to happen is still an accident waiting to happen, and this one is so easy to avoid.

Reactions: stols001

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    A member is having trouble with resetting her clock on her mod every time she switches out the batteries? Or would it be safer to a) just charge via USB or b) reset the clock?

For this mod (Revenger X), just pull one battery and quickly put a new one in then repeat with the other.
    I found this to work 100% on my new Revenger X

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread