• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Review ECS Screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporista

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
Thanks to Stephen Rowley a supplier here, I've been given the opportunity to evaluate the new screwdriver device. Stephen made a video on my screwdriver request thread but the picture quality doesn't do the screwdriver justice really. Before you have to ask "what is a screwdriver?" It is simply an e-cig/PVthat looks like a screwdriver. You hold the handle (which contains the battery) in your hand and you vape from the tip. The screwdriver is a type of e-cig/PV which generally is classed as a modified or modded device. Not all are modded though, some are factory made but all of them are high battery powered devices which deliver the most vapour and throat hit of all the e-cigs/PVs.
The ECS Screwdriver looks like a high tech screwdriver. I personally found it elegant and beautiful. It comes in a box a little less than half the size of a shoebox. First thing you notice is how shiny it is. It's all silver. It's really pretty. It doesn't look big at all. I would call it a mini screwdriver. If one stacks it next to the Janty Stick aka Twisp Stick in South Africa, the ECS screwdriver peeks up a little above. Placed next to the DSE 801 penstyle, the screwdriver is a plastic mouthpiece shorter than the 801/M201 Penstyles.
Lift it out of the box and it just feels right in the hand. It has a sensual feel. Once you place the charged battery inside it gains a bit of weight, but it's not heavy. One can close their hand around it. I could carry it around all day. It's just one of those things that once you have it in your hand it feels nice. Put it this way. Why do we need to vape something that looks like a cigarette anyway? It kind of defeats the purpose of wanting to get the heck away from those things. Why can't we all have our PV's/e-cigs in other colours and finishes - any other finishes except white? I have an M201 in white, an 801 in a beautiful burgundy and several in white. The Janty is metallic and black plastic. Burgundy and Silver, however, ooze, well, class. We forget the little things in life that enhance our vaping experience and luxury finishes define an elegance.It's a personal thing. It's a subjective thing. The ECS Screwdriver reminds me of the Art Deco period. It is simple, functional, solid, and effective. Yep. It's an art Deco Screwdriver. It even has a neon red ring which lights up. It's the kind of thing I'd expect to see Leonardo Di Caprio vaping in The Aviator as he flies his Lockheed around Los Angeles with his lover on a carefree joyride.
The atty stem is about as wide as the penstyle battery and a peek inside reveals an atty shaped like the St. Louis gateway arch except it is in Lilliput land. I mean, honestly, in all my born years I've never seen such a ridicuolusly small atty and in a screwdriver no less. How could something this size even power a mini e-cig? The plastic disposable mouthpiece is almost half the size of normal penstyle mouthpieces. The cart filler looks like it will only hold two drops. Maybe this device is for dripping only.
Ah. Looks can be deceiving. They are here. Things are not what they seem. First you can add at least 10 drops into the empty filler in the cart. That's about the same as I'm adding to my penstyles! Then once the battery is charged and in, power button touched on the bottom and then the manual button touched to start the steam...well nothing really happens. It is a brand new atty. So I drip a couple and the atty gets a kick out of bed then I replace the cart and the throat hits start and start and start and they don't stop. They don't have the choking power that the janty stick has but as the atty burns itself out of its coma the throat hits become consistent and strong, time and again. More punch than the M201 for sure. definitely more punch than the 801 on an all being carts basis. Dripping will see the M201 and even the 801 and the Janty running rings around the screwdriver but while these other models might outperform for a short while-they are limited by their batteries and the voltage drops away as quickly as the bombs left the planes over Dresden while the Screwdriver is the Energiser bunny of them all...It just keeps on ticking. To date I have vaped around 6-7 hours on the one battery and it is still going strong. I've been through several cart loads of e-juice and the throat hit is there every time. It might take one draw or tops two or three. Maybe the atomiser hasn't broken in yet completely because it doesn't produce excess clouds of vapour like the janty (but to be fair the Janty has USB power and the screwdriver is strictly battery powered and the Janty and the Penstyles have far bigger attys) but wow this little wonder of a screwdriver does the job
You get the throat hit after a couple of puffs because little of the vapour is wasted as a visible spectacle.
The draw is remarkably light for such a small atty and tip. An emphesema victim in the end stages of suffering could probably manage a draw with relative ease.
The cut-off kicks in after several seconds of draw but I've found I don't need to reach the cut off point like I did with the Janty Stick quite as often. Two to three vapes does it for me.
The device grows quickly on you. It's small enough to cart around and to use in public and it's powerful enough not to need the M201 or the 801. Sometimes one will need the huge throat hits of the M201 and janty which the screwdriver will not deliver, but that's ok because in the main the screwdriver does deliver in an adequate way but it's not the Nuke of the screwdrivers.
It's easier to use than the Janty Stick. There is far less plastic and the button is easier to depress and it feels more solid. I'm sure with a bigger atty and a USB passthrough this mini screwdriver will leave the Janty in the dust, not that it already does in many cases already.
I'm just not sure where this device slots in. I'd place it somewhere between the M201 and the Janty Stick, however I personally would use this more than I will ever use the Janty because I like consistency and this device delivers. I notice I get hardly any burnt taste- something I often get in the Janty and the penstyles- and during this test both the janty and the 801 had new attys too. The M201 is awaiting scarce as hens teeth new attys, but I'm working off memory. The burnt taste could well be the amount of filler used in the attys- in the screwdriver, the amount is less than half than the others and finally, the atty runs warm, it doesn't run hot hot like the M201 and M801. Sure it gets peaks but it cools pretty quick but it runs nowhere near as hot as those other attys.
I tried juice at 16mg, 18mg and 24mg. There was no discernable difference in throat hit or vapour output.
Flavours do seem more intense in the screwdriver. You will pick up the differences in juice quality between different suppliers pretty quickly.
I'll be keeping you posted hopefully on the atty lifespan.
Meanwhile I'd give this mini screwdriver a recommendation to own. Just remember devices are subjective things. If it's monster truck throat hits you seek you will not find it here. But if you seek a good jack of all vapes this is it. Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, My Trusty DSE801, I now consign you to rust... way up on some forgotten bookshelf, RIP:D

Aucorium

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
I was toying with the idea of a stick or a driver, and plucked with a stick purely based on the accesories for it - but havent tried one yet, waiting for the stick to arrive.

I get the impression from your review that the driver is a more refined 801, and to be frank I am not a regular 801 user as it takes some work for it to reach capacity. My biggest issue with the 801 is that it doesnt hit the spot for me, so I dont think a driver would either.

Being a regular with the 510 and even though my hands are sore from the heat still would like somthing with the same effect or better. I dont think the driver can do this.

Vaporista

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
I get the impression from your review that the driver is a more refined 801, and to be frank I am not a regular 801 user as it takes some work for it to reach capacity. My biggest issue with the 801 is that it doesnt hit the spot for me, so I dont think a driver would either.

Being a regular with the 510 and even though my hands are sore from the heat still would like somthing with the same effect or better. I dont think the driver can do this.

Nope the driver blows away the 801. I just used the 801 and the janty stick as benchmarks to test the screwdriver.
If anything, due to the sheer battery power you will find that either the screwdriver (or to be technically correct the mini screwdriver because the true screwdrivers are the Prodigy and the GGT etc) or the Janty stick will hit the spot immediately and harder than the 510- comparing chalk and cheese here.

Last edited:

Vaporista

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
As far as I can see, the ECS screwdriver is what is being sold as the DSE905 MOD on the China supplier sites. It uses a 901 atty so isn't really directly comparable to the stick or 801. Effectively, it is a 901 with a huge battery.

You may be correct. With one exception it's a 901C atty with the whistle mouthpiece which makes all the difference.
As Vaping101 mentions in an earlier thread
Last week I got in the whistle mouth pieces for the 901, and it produces a much bigger hit than the round one. Must be because the air flow is better or something. Not sure. The material in the cart is also nicer in the whistle mouth pieces vs the round ones. When the cart dries up, I get around 10 drops in again to top up which is great.The atty does however get very hot with the whistle mouth pieces, so am concerned that life may be reduced. The experience is definately better though.
That's why I refer to it as a "mini screwdriver" However the battery is 900mAh 3.7V which makes my Janty Stick look underpowered at 360mAh. (Remember the only saving grace of the Janty Stick is the USB plug in cable- without that feature it would be dead in the water against this "mini" screwdriver- try vape the Janty unplugged on battery power only and the performance drops like a stone- regardless of the bigger atty size.
The ECS Screwdriver holds it's own although slotting it into a class is difficult - it's certainly more than a modded 901 by a long shot. I like the smooth throat hits and the unbelievable consistency- all day long. It's a great size, the cart filler material doesn't burn like the rest of the e-cigs, I don't fret about using it in public, it has no wires to trail around and it's good quality stainless steel. One battery a day. Nothing else to worry about. Juice bottle in pocket and you are all set for a days care free vaping. I can conceal it in the palm of my hand and while it DOES look like the screwdriver, it's not REALLY a screwdriver but it's close. I haven't tried the Prodigy or GGT or Chuck. However, none of the e-cigs we have here come close to it in the endurance stakes. It would be my choice as a daily vapearound. I would keep the M201 as a big gun novelty and I would throw away my 801's and I'd hold the Janty Stick for really big USB Vapor.
Though I realise now looking at the build quality that the Janty build quality is cheap and nasty with all that plastic. The stainless steel in the ECS Screwdriver really does make a decent build -and a difference. There's not much plastic to taste at all!

Last edited:

Splat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2009
Johannesburg, South Africa
You may be correct. With one exception it's a 901C atty with the whistle mouthpiece which makes all the difference.
As Vaping101 mentions in an earlier thread
I started vaping on a 901 and have only ever known it with a whistle-tip cart - I wouldn't think of using anything else on any of my PVs

That's why I refer to it as a "mini screwdriver" However the battery is 900mAh 3.7V which makes my Janty Stick look underpowered at 360mAh. (Remember the only saving grace of the Janty Stick is the USB plug in cable- without that feature it would be dead in the water against this "mini" screwdriver- try vape the Janty unplugged on battery power only and the performance drops like a stone- regardless of the bigger atty size.
The voltage of the battery is what drives the atty, not the mAh rating. The mAh is effectively the total charge held and higher rated batteries will therefore last longer (i.e. they have a larger "tank" to keep them going). Higher mAh rated batteries will lose voltage slower than smaller batteries which is why they work better for longer. At full charge, however, you should get the same vapour out of a stick and a screwdriver because they are both 3.7V units.

The stick does work better when plugged in, as does any passthrough but the reason for this is that the voltage from your power source is greater than the voltage of the battery alone. When plugged in, though, I think the stick performs better than the others

I can conceal it in the palm of my hand and while it DOES look like the screwdriver, it's not REALLY a screwdriver but it's close. I haven't tried the Prodigy or GGT or Chuck.
Terminology-wise, the only "screwdriver" is the original which was made by trog and is sold direct and through Totally-Wicked in the UK. There is now also a MkII version which is sold exclusively by TW. The Prodigy and GG are higher voltage mods (6V) so they are not directly comparable to any of the 3.7V products. This "screwdriver" is a copy of the original and is manufactured by SLB in China (not to say the quality is bad, just that it is not hand-made like the other larger mods out there).

Even Jany realised that the stick was being copied in various guises and now have an agreement with Joyetech (the manufacturer) to market unbranded sticks through the Chinese sites in an attempt to keep other copies at bay.

Though I realise now looking at the build quality that the Janty build quality is cheap and nasty with all that plastic. The stainless steel in the ECS Screwdriver really does make a decent build -and a difference. There's not much plastic to taste at all!
I have one of Trog's SDs and love it for vaping at home. I far prefer the stick for vaping on the move since I am generally able to plug it in most of the time (car & office). I have also purchased a USB power pack rated at 4400mAh which I can take on the road to make sure I never run out of battery power, whereas with the SD, you will need a mains power source to recharge a flat battery if it ever comes to that......it's really just a functionality thing for me and the USB option of the stick give me the flexibility I need.

I have also ordered higher-rated batteries for the stick (600mAh) from China (cost R50 for 4 includig postage) so it will retain the favourite spot in my arsenal of PVs for the foreseeable future.

Vaporista

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
Last edited:

stephenrowley

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hi Vaporista,

Thanks for the fair and honest reviews, regarding the 905 we have not loaded them on our website as one of them has burnt me, there is a master switch and an manual switch on the 905, the manual switch is to turn the atomizer on before taking a drag, the master switch is like the mains power switch, if it is not on you can not activate the atomizer even if you hold down the manual switch.

The problem is if you do not switch the mains power of while not using you could be in for a nasty surprise, the device could come on for no reason and not switch off as you can image that atomizer can become VERY :evil: HOT and burn you.

So the one draw back is that you need to turn the mains power off after using so as to not have this problem, it has only happened once to me while using it, but that once was enough to scare me. So if you do want one you need to be careful of this.

You can have them for R499 ex shipping as I do not believe we have a big enough market for bulking importing yet

Last edited:

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
I have a South African ID card so I should get access to this forum...

We are really interested in this device, but I'd first just like to just check if this is the same DSE905 (not the screwdriver) you mention:

4142006740_52f3bf225b.jpg

P.S. If the device you mention is the DSE905, in your review I would steer well away from calling it the 'screwdriver'... the overall design may have been copied, but clearly the build quality doesn't come near:

handhold.jpg

Splat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2009
Johannesburg, South Africa
We are really interested in this device, but I'd first just like to just check if this is the same DSE905 (not the screwdriver) you mention:

4142006740_52f3bf225b.jpg

it is the same one...I believe this is quite a common problem with the units, as well as issues with the switch not working consistently.

P.S. If the device you mention is the DSE905, in your review I would steer well away from calling it the 'screwdriver'... the overall design may have been copied, but clearly the build quality doesn't come near:
+1 :thumb:
Terminology-wise, the only "screwdriver" is the original which was made by trog and is sold direct and through Totally-Wicked in the UK. There is now also a MkII version which is sold exclusively by TW. The Prodigy and GG are higher voltage mods (6V) so they are not directly comparable to any of the 3.7V products. This "screwdriver" is a copy of the original and is manufactured by SLB in China (not to say the quality is bad, just that it is not hand-made like the other larger mods out there).
and maybe I should revise my last sentence....I think the Chinese mods still have some way to go in QC :(

Vaporista

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
Terminology aside, I haven't had any problems to date except for the issue Stephen raises about the two switches. It is something one must be aware of and keep these things like all e-cigs well away from where kids could get their hands on them.
Given that over 90% of the e-cig devices come from China nobody is expecting any form of quality, rather a decent functioning. Mass produced stuff will never have the build quality of handcrafted stuff like the GGT, the Chuck etc. It's a no brainer. What we have here with the DSE 905 is a Toyota, not a Bentley. It's not bad at all, it does the job. It will do the job even better when the 801 and 510 adaptors are available. It is not a Chinese Mod, it is a stolen and copied partial design which has been mass produced. I've never called it the original SD. At best I've called it a mini screwdriver. Sometimes the suppliers will rename their models here, they have their reasons for doing so. In any case I note Stephan has dropped the price to R499/40 Pounds Sterling/ 68 Dollars and ask yourself where you can get a similar device for the price? with 2 batteries and a charger? Oh well, I've noticed that Trog has dropped the price of the Original Screwdriver (Body kit only) to 29.95 Pounds sterling as an Xmas special. Must be the DSE 905 onslaught. The market is overpriced as it is. But for Saffers 29.95 pounds is a great price if you can source yor spare attys and batteries and it will attract 14% Vat and customs are opening all parcels from the UK for some reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread