Review of Apex Alpha Ultra from Innovapor.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlDynamite

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2010
Illinois/Metro East
I've had this device for a couple of days now. I purchased it at www.innovapor.com I posted an initial review over in innovapor's supplier forum. Most of this review is the same, but with some updates. I thought I would leave the review as it was, but add any updates in italics. That way, you can see my initial questions and concerns and how it's currently working out. Of the few things I had problems with in the beginning, they are quickly abating. Sorry I didn't post any pictures. My camera is at work and I'm not good at taking these kind of pictures anyway. There are more reviews (and many pictures) of this device in that forum and here: Reviews of the Apex Alpha Unit

Packaging
As mentioned before, the packaging and presentation was real nice. The unit came in a black box with a clear covering containing all the materials I purchased, except obviously the battery charger. Device was sitting securely on top in a cut-out of foam.

The Manual
Haha, I know the manual isn't a big deal to many people, but this manual is awesome. You can tell a lot of time in front of the computer went into this little book. It has separate sections for each unit. Although the only difference I saw between the models was filling capacity of the RES and types of batteries used. Still, it's very nice to break down each model separately. I asked a question yesterday about how to use the battery charger. Since it was a third party device, I didn't even think to look in the manual. (I had looked through the manual online, so I already new how to work the device). But as I was looking through the manual last night, I found the exact info I had previously asked for. I was really surprised, and impressed.

Form Fit and Function
Like others have mentioned, the form and fit for this unit is unsurpassed as far as I can tell. The unit is really small and light; much more so than I originally thought. Everything fits precisely together. Really seems study too. If I dropped this, I wouldn't be too worried that it would break. The only issue I had is that the threads were a bit rough. Putting on some high quality gun lubricant fixed them. I love that everything is self contained. Nothing to take away from the sleekness of the device. A small silver tube really. Very modern looking.

The only thing that kind of irked me is the opposing threads on the switch assembly. It is a fantastic idea to prevent over tightening and the closing of airways. It works well in fact. Only, a few times I had wanted to use the threads on one side of the assembly and the other one got loose from friction on my hand. However, after using it more, I've got the hang of it. The threads were a bit rough, but metal on metal threads are never butter smooth. Nothing lubrication can't fix.

Quick side note: I bought the aluminum drip tip - this thing is awesome! I've never had a hole that big. Finally, I have a tip that I am actually comfortable dripping through.

The on/off switch
A fantastic idea to create a recessed switch to prevent accidental discharge. Another great idea to make the switch automatically turn off when the switch is released. No worrying about leaving batteries on. However, my hands sweat sometimes so a few times I've had difficulty getting a good purchase on the battery sleeve. The first thing that came to my mind was applying some sort of skateboard tape to improve this. Time will tell whether I get used to it.

RES Filling System
Well, the RES works exactly as InnoVapor said it would - It works well. The liquid is sucked through the holes in the bottom of the RES, into the holes at the bottom of the atomizer and into the coil. A simple but effective system. Using the natural viscosity of the liquid to transport itself is a cool idea and works well in practice. Being medical grade ceramic, I can't taste anything besides my liquid. Completely inert. One less thing to think about.

InnoVapor suggests two methods to fill the RES. One is to direct drip the suggested amount directly through the atomizer and into the RES. This works ok for me. You can see the liquid draining through the atty (and going into the RES). I actually smiled when I saw that happen. This method caused me to overfill the RES because I couldn't see exactly how much was needed. However, I firmly believe I will use this method more as I become more attuned to how much liquid is needed. I have no doubt about that as it's such an easy way to fill. Again, after using it more I've been using this method more

Method #2 is removing the ceramic wick and directly applying liquid that way. Currently, I like this method better because I have better visual cues to know when to stop filling. I really don't find it too messy. This thing definitely holds 1 ml of liquid...I watched it absorb it all. Haha, I smile about that. cool man.

When I take a pull, I can hear the liquid moving from the RES into the atomizer. It's a very distinct sound. When it's flooded, well you can tell. You can quickly tell whether the atty is receiving new quality juice, too much juice or is getting dry. It sounds different and quickly tastes different. When I start getting that dry hot taste, I will suck without activating the battery. That pulls new liquid from the RES into the atty. I do this until additional sucking no longer pulls new liquid. I'm not for sure yet, but these extra pulls probably get me 5/6/7 real quality hits before I add more liquid.

The only issue I have is overfilling the RES and getting the extra liquid in the little space between the RES and the atomizer. I've followed the directions for the atty drip method, but I don't think it was as dry as I thought. That extra liquid makes it hard to draw and vape obviously. So I take off the RES, wipe down the area, and go back to vaping. Other times (I stole this method from the REOmods forums) if there is a bit too much juice, I try firing the atty and blowing into the atomizer. Try and heat up that extra juice. I have a pretty good idea when to fill and how much to use now though.

Vaping Experience
Actual vaping experience is very enjoyable with this Alpha Ultra. I get generous amounts of vapor, solid but cool throat hits, and great flavor. To me, it feels just like direct dripping without having to drip. I pretty much only DD, never been partial to cartomizers and those large liquid reservoirs on other PVs look silly to me. The vapor is serious quality, and isn't that what we are all after?

I've found out that taking long, deep pulls helps the liquid move down the RES. On this, the liquid only comes out based upon how hard the user is pulling. So shorter, mouthier drags seem to pull mostly from the bottom. Longer drags require more force and seem to help the liquid move down. Just plumes of vapor when I take a real deep drag. Very satisfying.

Battery usage
This particular PV is currently using a single AW IMR 14500. These batteries work great. With my vaping frequency and style, one battery will last me all day, from 9 am to when I go to bed. I wanted a battery that would do me that, and this one does it. I do see a slight drop off when the battery is dying though. So I might change it out to improve vapor, but one battery could last me all day.

Customer Service
Customer service is most definitely InnoVapor's top priority. They quickly answer all questions and comments. They have already taken care of an early switch issue. Absolutely nothing bad to be said about customer service and experience. They offer a 3 year warranty on the switch and a 10 year warranty on the body! But actually makes perfect sense...they will never have a warranty claim...haha It literally will not fail. All metal except for a delrin switch assembly (housing brass components) and a medical grade ceramic wick.

Final thoughts
I'm really loving this PV. It took me a little bit to figure out when do add liquid, when to clean it out, when to vape extra juice, when to suck extra into the atty. There is a small learning curve, like everything we buy. But really, the more I use it, the better I use it. It is really treating me well. I get the sensation of quality direct dripping without the hassle and mess. It does exactly what it's supposed to do. And as far as I can tell, it will last forever. From the quality of construction, quality of materials, really innovative ideas, and top notch service, I'm glad I bought it.

Last edited:

alldayvape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Maryland
Some pics

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

pAth77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2010
Bay Area
This was a very thorough review, so I don't have much to add except for some pictures that I took of my UltraMax earlier this week. There are a few points that I will talk about though.

1. This is a very nice lightweight unit that has been manufactured with high standards and quality, but it is by no means seamless. As you can see in the picture below, the seems are fairly prominent, but in no way does that take away from the look and function of the PV. I just don't want people to be misled by the "seamless" comments.

L1040763.jpg

2. The ceramic core that acts as a wick/reservoir is a very innovative concept, and it works fairly well. There is a bit of a learning curve though. The RES can hold roughly 0.5mL, 1.0mL, and 2.0mL for the UltraLite, Ultra, and UltraMax versions, repectively. The juice is drawn into the atty by the airflow that is created when pulling on the tip, and hitting it too hard or too soft will result in an insufficient amount of juice reaching the atty. It doesn't take long to figure out how to hit it properly, but it does take some time.

L1040764.jpg

3. The threads bind a bit, but it is markedly improved when you add some lubricant to the threads (i.e. Noalox, Vaseline, etc.)

L1040770.jpg

Overall, this is an excellent and innovative PV. The customer service that is provided is definitely top notch. I had an issue with my switch, and they immediately sent a replacement switch, which I received the next day. Since then, I haven't had a single negative thing to say about this PV. In addition, the good people at InnoVapor have plans to release a stainless steel version (no timetable yet) and possibly a titanium version. The price point will obviously jump quite a bit, but there are a lot of us that are happy with the current aluminum model and are anxiously awaiting the SS/titanium editions.

L1040775.jpg

Wylie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Florida
I echo the comments in these excellent posts. I got mine primarily as a backup, but the purity in flavor afforded by the ceramic wick is really quite incredible. In addition, I am getting very dense vapor from these using IMR 14500s.

At first, there was really no learning curve for me. It worked perfectly on my first fill. I guess it was beginner's luck, because on my third refill I had some trouble with patchy results-- a little over-filled, a little dry-- which took me about an hour before I got back on track. So yes, a little different than you may be used to, but worth it.

I've been using it almost exclusively now for the past two days. Here's a link to my initial impressions if you're interested.

Wylie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Florida
I don't think I even understand your comment, but I'm assuming you're not happy with the price?

Keep in mind this for their top of the line kit with ALL the trimmings for high voltage vaping. With the 20% ECF discount, that's a couple dollars more than I paid for ONE premium mod/tank configuration alone. And you get everything. The unit, the RES, the charger, the batteries, the atties, the case, the liquid, the drip tips, even the cleaning cloth for goodness sake.

You certainly don't need to buy the whole kit, of course...

EDIT: The response was to post #11.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Quick question will map tanks or stormy tanks work on the ULTRAMAX?

Yes, if you take off the RES, then the Ultra series work just like any other 510 threaded mod.
Or you can buy the regular atomizer interface or top cap without the res so it would look nicer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread