RDA Review of Hadaly BF makes me reconsider for squonking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
http://flavourchasers.com/the-plone-hadaly-rda/
syc

The below comments specifically raise an eyebrow.

Getting the right build with the right amount of power is paramount for this atty. It craves a lot more power than you think it would need. It shines in and above the 5V mark which isn’t a normal range for a flavourchasing atty.

The AFC holes have some trouble staying equally open based on the radius of the top cap and overall design. It doesn’t seem to effect performance but it does bother us to see the holes unequal and needs to be mentioned. There is a bit of noise but nothing too serious or bothersome.

The well is shallow for squonking, those airflow holes come quick and so does the juice, you will need to adjust your squonking method for this one (it needs smaller bottle squeezes for sure). Taking the top cap off leads to a bit of mess, like the NarDA, the tall sections inside the atty create condensation issues that force juice out of the barrel

It has some quirks that may bother you a bit (power and juice hungry, messy at times, bit pricey), but the flavour is there in spades. And really the cost is lower than many attys with similar performance and it’s pretty easy to get your hands on. For the first atty Psyclone has released it’s very impressive. We can’t wait to see what’s next.

I think i will stick with the O Atty or Narda since i prefer a deeper juice well and the airflow holes to be a little higher than this one provides .

Last edited:

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
A BF atty doesn't need a well like a regular dripping atty. This is why it is called a bottom fed atty. You only need enough juice to wet your wicks for 3-5 hits, then squonk and repeat. This is also why a lot of atty's in the past couple years have been known a leakers. They weren't designed with BF'g in mind. They were an afterthough for a designer to make a little extra cash on "their" flawed design on "their" idea of bottom feeding... A bottom fed device is made for juice on demand without having to carry around an extra bottle for when your wicks dry out... A "true" BF atty will always have a flush pin to the deck as well as no drip well....

Go back and check out the original BF attys like the Cyclone, Divo, Era, Hornet, and the RM / RM2 by Rob. They all filled and drained the way a BF atty should and the excess juice flows back to the bottle and doesn't set in the deck and cook and lose its flavor...

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
What makes a good atty is very subjective. One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
Me, I think juice wells are worse than useless for a squonker. They add unnecessary height and weight. I like short and light. A squonker should not have juice wells and all fluid not used to soak the wicks should drain back into the bottle so it doesn't leak out when I lay my mod on the car seat. Other people think they are essential. Guess what? We're both right!
The ultimate deal breaker for me is if the atty sounds like a dog whistle when I vape. No Narda for me! Lots of people love them.
My current favorite is the Hastur Cthulhu. In spite of the name. It's light, not a lot of metal to hold heat, minimal juice well, and a clever but simple AFC that takes air in high up but delivers it down below the coils. Velocity style deck. The POM adapter for a 510 drip tip insulates the mouth piece nicely from the heat. Lots of bad reviews on FT.
I love the CopperVape atty on the CopperVape mod. Looks stupid on a 22mm mod.
Different strokes for different folks...

Reactions: muzichead

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    What makes a good atty is very subjective. One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
    Very true.
    My current favorite is a Narda, with the cap air holes enlarged to the deck air hole size, and the inside of the deck air holes beveled, to eliminate the whistle.

Reactions: crunchie812

crunchie812

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 15, 2014
    Key Largo, FL USA
    Very true.
    My current favorite is a Narda, with the cap air holes enlarged to the deck air hole size, and the inside of the deck air holes beveled, to eliminate the whistle.
    Good on you. I considered doing that, but frankly I'm tired of constantly modifying all my vape gear. I'm really happy that there are reasonably priced mods and attys for squonking now that don't require me to fire up the power tools to get a good vape.

herb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2014
    A BF atty doesn't need a well like a regular dripping atty. This is why it is called a bottom fed atty. You only need enough juice to wet your wicks for 3-5 hits, then squonk and repeat. This is also why a lot of atty's in the past couple years have been known a leakers. They weren't designed with BF'g in mind. They were an afterthough for a designer to make a little extra cash on "their" flawed design on "their" idea of bottom feeding... A bottom fed device is made for juice on demand without having to carry around an extra bottle for when your wicks dry out... A "true" BF atty will always have a flush pin to the deck as well as no drip well....

Go back and check out the original BF attys like the Cyclone, Divo, Era, Hornet, and the RM / RM2 by Rob. They all filled and drained the way a BF atty should and the excess juice flows back to the bottle and doesn't set in the deck and cook and lose its flavor...

I understand that , just personal preference after trying both types.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
    Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    I bought the vaperesso transformer rda ( Transformer RDA Atomizer | Vaporesso), all but one reviewer made comments about the well not holding much. it's a BF atty, the pin is flush with the base, so really not much of a well is needed. I've not even bothered putting in the posts, been running it postless and going between the flavour and cloud top trying to figure out which one is best for me, no matter which one I use the airvents are exactly where the coils are. I eyed the halady with squonking in mind, I had blown up my topper for my 60w(dropped it and it go stuck auto-firing), but went with the transformer instead because it is built with squonking exactly in mind.

Reactions: herb

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I think the Immutable and Ubiquitous Truth on the Internet is that no matter what the Product is, you can find Some who say they Like it. And Some they say they Don't Like it.

And since there is No Guarantee that what I Like is what Other People Like, and tend to Disregard Reviews.

herb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2014
    I bought the vaperesso transformer rda ( Transformer RDA Atomizer | Vaporesso), all but one reviewer made comments about the well not holding much. it's a BF atty, the pin is flush with the base, so really not much of a well is needed. I've not even bothered putting in the posts, been running it postless and going between the flavour and cloud top trying to figure out which one is best for me, no matter which one I use the airvents are exactly where the coils are. I eyed the halady with squonking in mind, I had blown up my topper for my 60w(dropped it and it go stuck auto-firing), but went with the transformer instead because it is built with squonking exactly in mind.

I always considered "do it all" type of products to be lacking at excelling in any one area and being mediocre at best in everything it does do but i could be wrong with what you are talking about.

I don't have experience with that one so it's just a guess , sounds like you are happy with it . I am using converted Magma RDA's on my Coppervapes & have been very pleased.

Just a change from the Origen Little

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
    Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    that's the thing... like I said all the reviewers complained about the shallow well... except one. the only one who didn't complain, was the one who actually used it as a squonker, exactly what it was built for. it's not just about finding something that is the newest or greatest at times, it's about finding the one that is best for what you want it for. I really liked how the hadaly fixed coils etc... definitely easier for those with hand difficulties, and it has nice wells for a dripper, great for single coils... but wasn't what I needed. I do love the transformer, I can single to quad build, postless or velocity, flavour or cloud, and it didn't kill my paycheque lol.

the shallow well was the only real complaint.

Last edited:

crunchie812

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 15, 2014
    Key Largo, FL USA
    I always considered "do it all" type of products to be lacking at excelling in any one area and being mediocre at best in everything it does do but i could be wrong with what you are talking about.

I don't have experience with that one so it's just a guess , sounds like you are happy with it . I am using converted Magma RDA's on my Coppervapes & have been very pleased.

Just a change from the Origen Little
    Magma was my first dripper. When I got my first squonker, the Smokeless Owl aka Terminator, I slotted the screw to convert it to a squonker and my life was changed forever ;-)
    I love the screw together, no o-ring construction of the Magma, and the flavor is second to none. Heavy sucker, made the Terminator terminally top heavy so it was always falling over and leaking all over the place. Put one of those on top of a brass CV and you've got about a pound and a half of ordinance to rumble with!

The Terminator unfortunately came with woefully undersized wiring and a craptastic atty. worked great for about a month until the wires fried. I rebuilt it with solid copper wire, a REO spring, and brass sheet strips, and it hits with the best of them. Still looks tacky as all get out.

herb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2014
    Magma was my first dripper. When I got my first squonker, the Smokeless Owl aka Terminator, I slotted the screw to convert it to a squonker and my life was changed forever ;-)
    I love the screw together, no o-ring construction of the Magma, and the flavor is second to none. Heavy sucker, made the Terminator terminally top heavy so it was always falling over and leaking all over the place. Put one of those on top of a brass CV and you've got about a pound and a half of ordinance to rumble with!

The Terminator unfortunately came with woefully undersized wiring and a craptastic atty. worked great for about a month until the wires fried. I rebuilt it with solid copper wire, a REO spring, and brass sheet strips, and it hits with the best of them. Still looks tacky as all get out.

I found out the Fat Daddy BF pin's, (largest size) fit perfectly for a direct replacement for the Magmas stock bottom pin .

The only thing required to do is shave off about 3 mm from the length of the pin and it's a perfect fit , squonk ready .

I pack the deep well with cotton and it's been great in single coil mode for me , no leaking whatsoever .

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread