Review of my first mech (ish) mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
So yesterday my boss brought some of the parcels that have arrived at my office while I have been away.

My first mech-ish mod has arrived. I say mech-ish, as it has the 5 button pushes to turn it on and off....

This first mod is the Kamry K-1000 plus. And I must admit I am loving it.

I didn't use the tank that came with it, I am using an Aspire Triton. The reason for changing the tank is simply because I want the same tank and coils on all my mods.

So first impressions? Brilliant.

I have had a little bit of a trying day, and so although have been vaping quite a bit. The battery has lasted all day (at least 3 tank fills).

As an ex pipe smoker, I have found that the mod sits well in my hand. The shape of the mouthpiece is good, and the overall shape feels ever so nice.

It is as comforting in my hand as when I am vaping.
As this is a work mod, it has already ended up on the floor a couple of times, no damage, no scratches...

I really am ever so happy with this mod. I know that the battery life is not reported as great, but am hoping that a routine that does not empty the battery will extend the life.
(But have a spare on order)

But I really would recommend this mod for any pipe smoker. Admittedly I do have another Kamry on order. I have the K1000 coming. This one uses 18350s so I can always have spare charged batteries in my pocket. But it would have to be a bit special to beat the 1000plus.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Glad this has met your expectations. :thumbs:

I do hope that you plan on carrying your spare batteries in a plastic battery case and not loose in your pocket where they could inadvertantly short out should they come into contact with something metalic, like coins or keys. That would make for a very bad day.

thumbnail.asp

Out of curiousity, what specific batteries are you/will you be using?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah LiPo mods always have electronics. It’s necessary to keep the LiPo battery stable.

I used to have a Kamry k1000. IIRC it was wired weird. Backwards or something. I forget. It’s a very old design. Older than the elitar.
It will NOT stand up by itself. I fixed that on mine with some epoxy putty and a grinder to change the angle of the bottom. IIRC I was also nodding it to take an 18650 with an extension tube. I was running into issues though and abandoned the project when other things came up. It’s still in pieces somewhere in my shop unless they got cleaned.

18350 batteries have become difficult to get. If you need some there are threads around here about it.

Reactions: stols001

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Good to hear your impressions ... I almost bought one of these last year, and when you mentioned it in an earlier post it brought back to mind -- so I ordered one from FT a couple days ago :)

I've used my smok epipe regularly with an RDA since 2013, and I got an Elitar on clearance last year (it works well, but feels wrong, so mostly it sits with my rebuilding box to puff on when rebuilding or doing mod maintenance). Still probably pick up a nicer pipe sometime this year, but the k1000+ seems like it could take over from the smok epipe as my coffee table dripper epipe.

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
I did try to respond last night but was struggling for a signal.

As far as batteries go for my Limelight and my K1000, I have ordered three different brands.
I have a couple of Keeppower
I have a couple of AW IMR
And I forget the third brand....

All ordered from a component supplier we use at work.
I shall let you all know my thoughts once my 18350 mods arrive.

When we used to use CR123, I had a couple overheat in my pocket. I now have some silicone sleeves and a hard case as well.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Glad it's working well and you are enjoying the 1000 Plus model.

I've got a K1000 and some spare batteries on order which should arrive next week. I went for the faux wood effect model and I've also ordered a half bent plastic stem as the only thing I wasn't struck on was the original stem that came with the last Kamry I had.

I plan on using a small slim Vaping Devils atomiser with it ( emergency one bought in Spain, not been used much ) This only holds 1.8 mils but it'll be fine as the pipe's only for evening use in the house. This atomiser is basically a slim version of the GS Air ( it takes the same coils ) but has a better air control.

Glad I kept my heavy onyx pipe ashtray now as I'm not that taken with the wee pipe stands!

Last edited:

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
Here is my slightly modded K1000plus

Aspire Triton tank, overlong driptip.

The only problem is that it does not stand up with the new driptip....

Am hoping my K1000 has arrived at work. I know the charger and at least one set of batteries has arrived. Of course, I also have the two batteries that are with the K1000.

I have a few more driptips and some more Triton tanks.

I have also ordered some more juice...

Attachments

• 15514666087351956972774891408125.jpg
    15514666087351956972774891408125.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
Not Triton.... Tigon.....

Sorry...

Anyhow another mod arrived this morning....
My Kamry K1000 is now here.

Unfortunately my other overlong tips have not arrived. But here it is, still with the original tip.

The tank is filled and waiting.

Batteries on charge....

(By the way, if anyone is either near Dewsbury or Kilmarnock, and you would like an Elitar mod, just PM me and it is yours.

Cost would simply be a case of giving something to your local homeless charity.

I will review my K1000 once the batteries are charged.

I do have a question about the batteries, but will post that in the batteries section.

Attachments

• IMG_20190302_170744.jpg
    IMG_20190302_170744.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
Yeah LiPo mods always have electronics. It’s necessary to keep the LiPo battery stable.

I used to have a Kamry k1000. IIRC it was wired weird. Backwards or something. I forget. It’s a very old design. Older than the elitar.
It will NOT stand up by itself. I fixed that on mine with some epoxy putty and a grinder to change the angle of the bottom. IIRC I was also nodding it to take an 18650 with an extension tube. I was running into issues though and abandoned the project when other things came up. It’s still in pieces somewhere in my shop unless they got cleaned.

18350 batteries have become difficult to get. If you need some there are threads around here about it.
trusted UK site for batteries including 18350
www.fogstar.co.uk

• Informative
Reactions: bombastinator

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
I
Hi - What do you think of the Tigon? Are you using it with the 1.2 ohm coil?
I love the Tigon.

I think earlier I mentioned 1.4 ohm, but you are right, it is the 1.2

I love the tank. To the point I have 4 of them.
One on each of my current mods. And two waiting for my other mods to arrive.

I did a lot of research before choosing this one. Once I knew I was happy, I went out and bought the other three, so every mod uses the same tank.

Reactions: My Batt Hurts

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Here is my slightly modded K1000plus

Aspire Triton tank, overlong driptip.

The only problem is that it does not stand up with the new driptip....

Am hoping my K1000 has arrived at work. I know the charger and at least one set of batteries has arrived. Of course, I also have the two batteries that are with the K1000.

I have a few more driptips and some more Triton tanks.

I have also ordered some more juice...
Well Professor, mine came in and I figured I share here with yours:
1000+.jpg

It is working well with the berserker RDA.

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
To be honest, I have been using my K1000plus more than the 1000.

That is just because I have been at wirkon site all week, and I didn't want too many mods to lose in the hotel..

At home I use the K1000. I have also ordered a couple of cheap Chinese wooden pipe stands. So my K1000 will be on my desk at work. And I will have my vape bag with me in the car.... I got another plus, just so I can have a ''Battery" on charge.

It is quite amazing what a difference there is between the two mods.

I guess that is down to the 18350s I currently have.... The is about to be a post about that in the batteries section.

Anyhow, my two Limelight mods will have Limelight pipe stands, and are for evenings and weekends only....

Probably going to have to get a rug for my living room. I would hate to drop one on my floor....

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Anyhow, my two Limelight mods will have Limelight pipe stands, and are for evenings and weekends only....
I didn't order a limelight pipe stand, but I do have of these from FT:

$2.78 Portable Wood Tobacco Pipe Stand Holder at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

(note: it looks better in the FT photos than it does in person, oh well)

I don't need it for my K1000+ as it stands by itself with the berserker RDA, but it would work fine if I had a heavier/longer atty on it:

pipestand.jpg

It folds flat and will slip in with other gear so when I'm out at my friend's place in the country for beer and guitar around the bonfire, my limelight will sit on it nicely on a stump next to me (along with my beer and one of my squonk mods).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread