Review Of The New Improved 902 Atty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
First off. Big thanks to Tony. Talked to him on the phone for a while, and he's very helpful. Answered every question I had, and real easy to talk to. Thanks again for everything, I appreciate it.
Now, on to my review.
I've been using the New Improved 902 atty for a little over 2 weeks now, as Tony was kind enough to make one available to me, so I could let him know how well it performed at 5 volts. I also tried a Sideshow atty at 5v, and I'll get to that in little bit, but first I want to talk about my experience with the New 902 at the standard 3.7 volts, and then using it with a 5 volt mod.
First thing I noticed was the new style of cartridges for this are vastly improved. The old 902 carts had a really odd shape which made it difficult to use any type of cart filler mod. For me, it would either leak like crazy, or juice barely flowed at all. (you may have had better luck, but that was my experience with the old 902 cart). So, I just dripped with it for the most part, which was fine.
Anyway, the New Improved carts are exactly what the doctor ordered. The atomizer itself is about 5mm longer to accommodate the longer cartridge. The mouth of the cartridge, is shaped exactly like a 510 cart. In fact the 510 cart condoms fit PERFECTLY. I have been using it with about 20-22 drops and getting good results. It would hold another 5-8 drops easily, but I'm very happy keeping the juice level low enough so I don't get any liquid in the mouth. And it still lasts a good long time, but when the time does come, it's VERY EASY to top off. For reference, the old 902 held about 15-16 drops max (juice viscosity can effect drop size, so that's my experience, but ymmv).
At any rate, since I've gotten it, I've only been using the newly designed carts with the stock filler. I haven't taken the time yet to mess with any cart mods, but I will be trying the http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/53487-zfm-zero-filler-mod.html at some point in the next few days. I have no doubt it will work fine, since it works on a 510, and as I mentioned, the mouth of the new 902 cart is the same shape, and size as a 510 cart. This mod should improve my 902 experience even more, and I'll post how well it works when I actually try it.

So how well does it vape? Well, before I get to that, one thing I noticed before I even tried the atty for the first time, is that there was almost no primer fluid in it. I always blow out a new atty before using it to get rid of the primer, but with the 902, almost nothing came out, and from the very first hit, the flavor was really nice.

Now as far as I can tell, this new design has almost the exact same characteristics as the old 902. In other words, it kicks .... The first thing you immediately notice about the 902, is the easy draw. It's not so easy like sucking on an empty straw, but more like the draw on an analog. When vaping the 902, your cheeks don't start getting drawn into your face from sucking so hard. The resistance of the airflow is dam near perfect, and I think it's how all e-cigs should draw. There's also TONS of flavor at 3.7 volts. In fact, if you have any flavors that are weak on a different model, the 902 might surprise you with how much flavor comes through.
Did I mention the vapor yet? Because this thing is a fog machine. Great big billowing clouds of vapor is what you get. And it can handle really heavy vaping, no problem. So, if you like taking 2 or 3 hits, one right after another, it's no big deal. The 902 handles it. But after 3 good vapes in a row, it needs a break for a minute or so to cool down.
Throat hit on this is very good. It's definitely smoother then the harsh type of throat hit you get from a 510. You can feel the vapor in your throat when inhaling but it doesn't overcome the flavor, or make you cough, (unless you take a really big hit, which is also pretty easy to do with this).

So all in all, at 3.7v, the new 902 atty is one sweet vape, with a much improved cartridge.
The only thing I didn't like about it, is the vapor at 3.7v is a little bit on the cool side for me. This could be because I usually vape at 5v which makes for noticeably warmer vapor on the inhale, and since that's what I'm used to, take this with a grain of salt. If you never vaped at 5v, you probably wouldn't even notice it.

Speaking of 5 volts, lets get to that. Everything I said about this at 3.7v still applies, but at 5 volts, this baby kicks it into high gear, and transforms into a vapor belching monster, [Can I copyright that phrase?]. Almost all of that good flavor still comes through, and of course it puts out an even more massive cloud of vapor. The throat hit also steps it up a notch, and comparatively speaking, seems to be stronger then the old 902 was at 5v. I would classify it as a powerful throat hit, but not with so much overkill and harshness, as you get with other models when you go up in voltage. The improved 902 at 5v, is very much an awesome vaping experience.

Considering the outstanding flavor, great vapor, and strong, yet smooth throat hit, this is an amazing all around performer. Whether you use it at the stock 3.7v, or at 5v, believe me when I tell you, you're gonna like the way this thing performs.

OK, I'd say that's more then enough for now, so I'll cover my experience with vaping the Sidesho atty at 5v, at some point during the next day or so. :)

neonerz

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
watchreadvape.com
I have to agree with EZ Duzit on the improved 902 compared to the old one. I too got my hands on a sample to try and compare at 5v, after my escapades with a sidesho atty at 5v (I won't mention my experience with a sideshow at 5v so as not to overshadow on Ez Duzit's review, but I could only assume he had the same experience as me).

The 902 QUICKLY turned into my FAVORITE PV by far, and the new version just concreted that. Though the 902 atty is a good deal more expensive then the 510, in my opinion its worth every cent (and then some). I've been HEAVILY vaping on my 902 @ 5v for the past couple weeks, and the atty hasn't shown any signs of problems. I've tried to dry burn it to death using my 5v mod, and I couldn't kill the sucker. The enclosure got so hot I couldn't hold the button anymore.

The clouds of smoke I exhale with the 902 @ 5v is amazing, it even makes my friends who still smoke analogs jealous. Even at 3.7v, based on my testing, it has beat hands down every other 3.7v PV I tried.

The only real con I could find (and its more of a con with my 5v mod then the 902 itself) is, after a few hits in a row, the atomizer heats up so much you start losing flavor and getting a burned taste, but thats alleviated by just giving a couple seconds between hits.

I LOVE my 902, and wouldn't give this sucker up for anything. I think its actually made me vape more then I did before (not just adjusting for the extra juice the 5v wastes), because its sooo much more enjoyable.

I'm working on a new battery mod, and will be trying out the 902 @ 6v soon.

Anthrogk

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys! I too recently got a sample 902, and since I had never tried the old 902 atty, Tony sent one so that I could compare the lengths. I am not as knowledgeable as the two of you, so I'm not so sure a review from me would be very helpful. Nonetheless I'd have to agree with you both about the performance at 3.7v. My batt for the 902 acts a little strange in that if it has been sitting awhile, I have to blow into it to get it going. Also, I have to agree with neonerz about the burnt taste when the atty overheats. If I wasn't such a puffer that would be a non-issue. I just love all that vapor in my face!:evil: Other than that the 902 is great, and if it is as tough as the sidesho, it will last forever.
I have yet to make the transition to zero analogs, but I'm getting there. I have read so much on the forum about people having atty trouble, but I have been using the same sidesho atty since I started vaping in September. I haven't cleaned it, and I've only occasionally blown it out. I have a back up of 5 more attys. Who knows when I'll need them...probably only when I want to try another color.:thumbs:
Great reviews guys!:D:thumbs::D

Chefdeuce

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Green Bay WI
I'm glad to hear that everybody is loving the 902. I haven't tried it yet, but will soon.
I did get a few friends to order them as their first.
The sidesho was my first, I love it, I've gotten rid of all my others and just stick to the sidesho. But from the sound of it that might change when I get a 902!
But its nice to hear that it is the best 3.7v out there, I won't want to steer my friends wrong, but I don't think you can with Modern Vapor

neonerz

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
watchreadvape.com
Chef I was the same. The Sidesho was my first, I actually ordered a blu first, but when that whole battery thing happened I ended up getting the Sidesho.

I've tried a few other PVs since then, but never found one that fit me as well as the sidesho until I tried the 902. Now my wife and cousin are counting the days till their atty's die so they could order a 902.

Nowadays I only use the stock batteries when I go out. Luckily since I work from home, I always have a AC outlet or USB port within arms reach to vape at 5v.

As I mentioned, I'm working on a 5v battery mod, but I'm sure because of the new PCC, even when I get that working, I'll still be using the stock batteries when I'm leaving my house for more then just running to the store.

Tony are there any talks between you and your manufacturer about a 5v battery? I'm sure it would make the battery ridiculously large, and wouldn't fit the PCC, but I'm pretty sure you'd have a lot of happy customers.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Chef I was the same. The Sidesho was my first, I actually ordered a blu first, but when that whole battery thing happened I ended up getting the Sidesho.

I've tried a few other PVs since then, but never found one that fit me as well as the sidesho until I tried the 902. Now my wife and cousin are counting the days till their atty's die so they could order a 902.

Nowadays I only use the stock batteries when I go out. Luckily since I work from home, I always have a AC outlet or USB port within arms reach to vape at 5v.

As I mentioned, I'm working on a 5v battery mod, but I'm sure because of the new PCC, even when I get that working, I'll still be using the stock batteries when I'm leaving my house for more then just running to the store.

Tony are there any talks between you and your manufacturer about a 5v battery? I'm sure it would make the battery ridiculously large, and wouldn't fit the PCC, but I'm pretty sure you'd have a lot of happy customers.

Do you want to use the stock 902 & PCC when you leave the house, because you're worried about the 5v batteries dying? Because the first 5v mod I built for the 902, uses two 14500 Li Ion batteries (AA size), and lasts for 10-12 hours between charges.

As for a 5v stock battery, I'm not Tony, but I can tell you, it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Due to the chemical makeup of Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries, (which is what ALL e-cigs use), manufacturers are very limited as to what voltage an individual cell will provide. It is either 3.6/3.7 volts, or 3.0 volts. Those are the only options for a Li Ion single cell. That is why all 5 volt devices are mods. So until battery technology makes some significant advances, stock e-cigs will operate at 3.7v.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Tony sent me a new 902 too. He's great when it somes to throwing extra stuff in with your order. I agree with the other posts - vaper is wonderful and this PV does have the best flavor of any of my other PVs, by a long shot. I've not had much luck with the batteries - I kill them like crazy, but I think it is just me, because no one else seems to have that problem. The 902 is a terrific little PV. It is my favorite so far. If only I could quit killing batts, I'd be thrilled. But like I said, it is operator error on my part, so don't let that put you off of this model.

I'll point out the differences between the old 902 and the new one. The new one comes with whistle tip mothpieces and round ones, so you can choose which is more comfortable for you. I like the whistle tips, but it is good to have a choice. The inner carts on the new model are black, where the old ones were a clear plastic. I prefer the clear plastic because I can easily see how much juice is in there and if I have a bunch of air bubbles, but the new ones are quite a bit bigger - so it is a trade off.

To accomodate the new carts, the atties on the new 902 a longer. If you use a new atty and a new battery, it will be 118ml long. Now, if you use a new atty on an old battery (which works just fine) you get a really long e-cig. Impressive, but they won't fit in my case. That shouldn't matter unless you are OCD like I am. LOL The new batteries are a couple centimeters shorter - but they still work just fine in the old PCC. I've gotten several hours off of a fully charged batt, so you don't loose any power with the shorter battery.

I definately noticed the lack of primer on the new atty. Two or three hits and I had the great flavor I've come to expect from the 902. It has a very comfortable draw. Now I still smoke analogs, but I do notice that I smoke fewer when I am vaping the 902 as compared to vaping my other PVs. The transition from analog to PV is easy with a 902.

The Marineland Rite Size U filters (blue foam) are great for this model. One sheet is the perfect thickness - just cut a strip about the size of a piece of Trident gum and it slides right in with the help of a paperclip. I think the bridge on the new atty is longer - it tends to push the filler material back into the cart. That works out just fine, because the filler will wrap itself around the bridge of the atty and wicks wonderfully. Just pull the filler back out a little bit when you top off. I can get 25 drops into an atty easily and it won't leak. With the blue foam, when the vape starts to decrease, I add about 20 more drops to it and I'm good to go for another couple of hours.

You won't be displeased with this model, I promise.

~A

neonerz

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
watchreadvape.com
Do you want to use the stock 902 & PCC when you leave the house, because you're worried about the 5v batteries dying? Because the first 5v mod I built for the 902, uses two 14500 Li Ion batteries (AA size), and lasts for 10-12 hours between charges.

As for a 5v stock battery, I'm not Tony, but I can tell you, it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Due to the chemical makeup of Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries, (which is what ALL e-cigs use), manufacturers are very limited as to what voltage an individual cell will provide. It is either 3.6/3.7 volts, or 3.0 volts. Those are the only options for a Li Ion single cell. That is why all 5 volt devices are mods. So until battery technology makes some significant advances, stock e-cigs will operate at 3.7v.

Right now my 5v mod is a USB passthrough. I'm putting the finishes touches on my battery powered 5v mod, and I have 4 14500s on order.

The reason I like the stock battery and the 902 is yes, the two 14500s should last me a LONG time, but theres nothing like the security of having two batteries, 4 cartridges, and a place to hold them all. Also, my 5v mod is coming out to be as big as the PCC itself.

Plus the fact, as much as I like blowing out HUGE clouds of smoke, its not always ideal. Some times 3.7v is just more convenient.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Ez Duzit...have you had a chance to try the ZFM or SFY mods on your 902 carts yet?

Sorry I took so long to answer. But sadly, no. I haven't tried it yet. I've just been so satisfied with dripping lately, that I just haven't gotten around to it as planned. But it is on my to do list, (as if that actually counts for something). :)

wumpus

Dec 27, 2009
Seattle
I've had an MV-902 atomizer for about a week and find it a significant improvement over the 510. In fact, I'm delighted with it. The 902 is attached to a Janty eGo but I've also tried it with regular 510 batteries (*).

The 902 has much better and more consistent flavor than the 510. I attribute this to a few things:

- I think the 902 doesn't get as hot as the 510, thus producing more flavor and less harshness

- The 902 bridge seems to be a denser and more consistently formed mesh. It is almost perfectly conical and unlike the 510, does not cover the inner base of the atomizer. In other words, if you look into a 510 the base of the bridge is wall-to-wall, as it were. On the 902 the floor around the bridge is bare metal. I assume this design eliminates the build-up of gunk that 510s are so prone to. The denser mesh may also make it less likely to snag filler material, but this is pure surmise on my part.

- When overfilled, my 510s (TW, Joye, Dura) can leak at the battery connection and often from the mouthpiece. For some reason the 902 has not leaked even when overfilled, nor have I experienced juice from the mouthpiece.

Another vote for the 902. Bravo, MV.

(*) The battery connector of the 902 has a small unthreaded area above the threads, making it slightly too long to make proper contact with a 510 battery. Simply trimming off .5-1mm makes it fit. I used a dremel to file it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread