Review: The CE2 R4 Cartomizer from HAPPYVAPOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nascar_Perry

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hello Everyone.

So, on my quest to find the best atty or cart for my pv that will last the longest, remain durable and not burn over time has lead me to the CE2 R4 XL cartomizer.

I picked these up from Jack at HappyVapor. They come from Royal Smoke with 5 in a pack. They are marked with MICROCIG on the black rubber cap.

You can find the ones I am using here: Blank (empty) cartomizers (cartridge + atomizer combined into a single unit) for the 510 model of e-cigarette.

First Impressions: I LOVE that there is no filler or other "burnable" materials inside, just your wick, which runs through the coil and down both sides of the cartomizer. This looks well built and as if it would last more then 6 months of heavy use (though it won't as it's a cart). Right off the top I notice the two whitish/clear rubber seals inside, one that covers the bottom on that keeps the cup holding the coil in the center of the cart. This second seal also prevents your juice from coming out.

Filling The CE2
First, I recommend "Priming" the CE2 for it's first use. Dry burn it using 2 5-7 second bursts allowing the coil to glow a small bit. Ok, you can use the syringe that is supplied with the CE2, or you can use a sharp tipped normal syringe to fill it by inserting it into one of the two holes in the second seal. I also find removing the second seal and then filling it with any syringe easy as well. To pop the second seal back on, I found the syringe's cap works perfectly to push the seal back on, and it fits like a glove inside the cart. I fill it till I can see some juice flow into the cup and the coil looks soaked, then draw back a small bit on the syringe. Once you have both seals, or at least the bottom one back on, you can simply blow out the excess juice out of the cup, down and out of the battery end without disturbing your juice in the reservoir. The XL cart I use hold roughly 1.8 - 1.9ml of liquid and last about a day and a half, maybe slightly longer or shorter depending on usage.

Using the CE2
Right off the bat, I notice an excellent response as I begin inhaling from the CE2. I can easily taste the sweetness of the juice as I take my pull. Inhaling I notice a slight bit more TH then I got using the Ego tanks or Dual Coil Cartomizers. The vapor I exhale is also more pronounced then I got with the dual coil carts. When I notice there is a dry spell beginning (which is very easy to notice) I simply tip the cart upside down for 5 seconds which gets me back to vaping.
To fix the need to tip the cart on dry spells I found gently lifting the second seal ever so slightly off of the cup allows the juice to easily flow up the wick with no issues. By slightly, I mean slightly, too much and you will allow juice to easily leak into the cup, which will then eventually flow down the shaft and out of the battery end... meaning drying off your battery post every 4 hours or so.
Another quick fix I found is to gently push on the coil/wick downwards further towards the base of the ceramic cup. When doing this, don't forget to push the wick itself where it enters the ceramic cup. If you are new to the CE2, I recommend the first way to fix dry spells, it is much easier to lift the seal a small bit and reseat it if you lifted it too much then mess with the coil.

Long Term Usage

So I have been using 5 for about 3 and half weeks with no signs of 4 of them slowing down at all. The 5th one, I decided to clean as it seen heavier usage then the others with my favorite juice. A recommended way to clean them I seen was to soak them, dry them off and then dry burn till the coils glowed red and no black gunk was left on the wick. Well, I found out what that black gunk on the wick REALLY was. It was partly your gunked juice, but MAINLY the wick itself. After dry burning till the wick turned mostly white again, I noticed when examining the wick there, that it was more brittle then extremely fine fiberglass. the slightest touch you could hear crunching. Knowing this cart was at then end of it's life, I tried pulling on one the wick a bit and sure enough it ripped just inside the coil with no resistance, examining the ends I found they were originally burnt a bit, but were now white caked and so brittle you couldn't touch them without breaking more particles of the wick off.

Result of this exam: Clean the CE2 carefully with as little dry burning as possible. I notice NO difference in performance no matter if the wick is clean or full of gunk.

Over all Thoughts
I will be picking up more CE2 carts this weekend from Jack, except for the wick exam I describe above, these things work much better then the dual coil carts I was using and produce more flavor, TH and vapor without the stress the dual coils posed on my battery. If there is a R5 version soon, all I would suggest is that they find a better wick that holds up more and won't burn at all, then you will have one of the best fillerless carts on the market. Will that wick deter me from the CE2? Absolutely not, especially when you see the video I will soon be posting of the inside of the Dual Coil cartomizers after moderate usage. I will take the CE2 any day.

If you have ANY questions about the CE2-R4 cartomizers I have reviewed here, please ask them by replying to this thread.

teabagger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2010
newmarket
I have a love hate relationship with ce2 r4... I used them for about 3 months when they first came out, in the end they were just too much hassle for me, nice flavor vapor, too much fiddling. Im really enjoying the new BMF/VOLT horizontal style cartomizers now, No burning, flavor of atty, and ease of use is second to none.

Last edited:

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
Nascar_Perry very nice review.

There are rev5's out there at least in clear, I am not sure about solid metal.
They are suppose to have thicker tubes (which I still have some cracking issues but I replace them with a BD syringe tube), the black sleeve around the cup was removed as well (it helps with wicking issues), and the wicks are suppose to be thicker and more durable.
That being said, they are still not perfect but they are something I use as I find I have the least amount of trouble with them. The lifespan is something I love about them. I have a number of them in rotation and have only killed about 3 of them for regular use, and 2 of them from abuse.

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
These are popular almost the crowd that removes the tube and uses the rest in a mod . As is the pack of 5 I got even knowing the dangers I inadvertently pulled the tube off of two of them . If I would re buy them I would buy the steel ones . I have tried them and they are good . Not great still have to tip and swirl but that is minor . I have no plans to buy any at the moment maybe next revision .

pizza2me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
Maryland
can somebody show, or point me to, a picture of the 2 holes you are supposed to inject it in please? I found some of the in the back of my drawer and want to try them again for my wife. When I first tried them a while back, I was doing the "take it off the base" thing and I constantly had leaks and other issues.

I want to try it without taking it apart. But not sure exactly which holes. I have taken both the cap and the rubber thingy off. Don't know what to do next.

Thanks!

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
Hopefully this image helps you out a bit.

If its bad I can try a better picture later. Basically if the wicks are on the East and West sides then the fill holes will be on the North and South side.

What I tried to do is give you a top down / Side View / Bottom View

IMG_0461.jpg

pizza2me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
Maryland
Hopefully this image helps you out a bit.

If its bad I can try a better picture later. Basically if the wicks are on the East and West sides then the fill holes will be on the North and South side.

What I tried to do is give you a top down / Side View / Bottom View

Perfect! Thanks zer0ith! I can see them now. With a magnifying glass. :) I'll try shooting down those holes next time. Hopefully easier then what I just did.

I found a video and tried it. I took out the piece that you have pictured. (Do any of you fill them that way?) and then just drip down the side.

But, I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to drip around(outside) the white ceramic? Or directly IN the white?

Thanks again!

flex

Jul 27, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If you dont mind the fiddling i suggest you remove all three inner rings and cut the sting and replace it with tea bags. By doing this i found that there is more storage, less leaking and overall better wicking and flavour. I also use 100% vg juice and find no problems in terms of dry burns or any burnt taste whatsoever. The best thing however is that you no longer have to use syringes and can instead drip down the sides of the cartomizer.

Here's a video that explains it better:

pizza2me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
Maryland
Down the side. Don't go in the center cup.

Thanks. I realized later that was a "dumb question". If you could fill it in the white, you wouldn't have to take all the #!@# off. :-O

And thank you too flex! I may have to give that one a try. I remember it way back when I first got them, but moved on to other cartos. I'll give it a shot.

I didn't catch it on the video, but do you just by regular lipton tea? throw out the tea and wash the bag, then start cutting??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread