Review Time - Innokin LEA - This device is dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Well, I sat down to make a review of the innokin Lea and, in the process, found something that disturbs me quite a bit.

I was going to "thumbs-down" this device anyway, for a couple of reasons but given what I discovered, I can not, in good faith, recommend anyone purchase this thing.

Click the youtube link and have a look. No embed because I used the "b" word.

YouTube - E-cig review - Innokin LEA *WARNING* Possible fire hazard

Thanks for watching and be VERY careful with this device, if you own one. If not, stay away from it.

EDIT / UPDATE : I tested the issue with the device getting stuck in "on" mode and the Lea went for well over a minute before I finally got too concerned about the heat and pulled the battery and USB cable. Again, I recommend people stay away from this thing.

Last edited:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Rob, the light stays on when the battery is plugged into a power source not because it is stuck in the ON position, but to indicate that the battery is charging. [Remember that cable is not only for the passthrough function, but also to charge the battery.] The light turns off when the battery is fully charged. This is stated (in classic Chinese-ecig broken English) in the manual.

The Lea is not dangerous.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Rob, the light stays on when the battery is plugged into a power source not because it is stuck in the ON position, but to indicate that the battery is charging. [Remember that cable is not only for the passthrough function, but also to charge the battery.] The light turns off when the battery is fully charged. This is stated (in classic Chinese-ecig broken English) in the manual.

The Lea is not dangerous.

I think you ought to look at the follow up video. He's got a reproducible bug in the solid state switching that could be present in other units.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
OK. I watched the second video and I see what you mean. Mike. Since I never used it as a PT, it never came up in my experience, i.e., I never fiddled with the switch once I started charging it.

Since Innokin does market this as having PT capability – and touts that three-button-press ON/OFF safety feature – this indeed does seem to be a flaw, which should be addressed.

Personally, I don't try to make devices fail. It works well for my needs, so I'll keep using my Lea in the way I use it. BTW, I always remove the atty prior to charging the battery anyway.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
OK. I watched the second video and I see what you mean. Mike. Since I never used it as a PT, it never came up in my experience, i.e., I never fiddled with the switch once I started charging it.

Since Innokin does market this as having PT capability – and touts that three-button-press ON/OFF safety feature – this indeed does seem to be a flaw, which should be addressed.

Personally, I don't try to make devices fail. It works well for my needs, so I'll keep using my Lea in the way I use it. BTW, I always remove the atty prior to charging the battery anyway.

Oh Don,

I hope you weren't taking me the wrong way. I was trying to inform not take a shot at you (or maybe I'm tired and reading you wrong).

Always good to see you BTW.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA

I actually kinda stumbled across the issue while doing my review and then, when I thought about it, it hit me how serious that could be. Once that happened, I had to reproduce it so I could tell if it was a 1-time fluke or an actual issue. Once I saw that it could be reproduced at will, and Innokin started posting comments on my youtube saying it was impossible for this to happen, I made the second video.

I don't really TRY to make a device fail, either but if it happens (especially during a review) I'll go after it.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Sorry about that bold "try" in my post. Looking at it now, I see how it might be taken as a dig at you, Rob. I stand by my second paragraph:

Since Innokin does market this as having PT capability – and touts that three-button-press ON/OFF safety feature – this indeed does seem to be a flaw, which should be addressed.​

I'll post an alert in my review thread.

I don't think this flaw is necessarily a deal breaker for users ... particularly if they do not intend to use the PT function. I am enjoying my black Lea battery: it's slender appearance coordinates so nicely with my black Dual Coil cartomizer. I do wish it were higher mAh; 650 is passé for a fat batt these days.

Thanks for educating me, Rob and Mike!

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
eh...that's one of the hazards of the internet and forums. can't hear tone.

I see that one of the people in your thread posted they've had the same thing happen once. This tells me it's not an isolated incident and is definitely something users should be aware of.

I have another Lea on the way to me, now. When it gets here, I'll do another update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread