Reviving a bad atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSteph

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
California, USA
So I had my atomizer die for some reason today. Not sure why. So I tried the ultrasonic cleaner i had, but no luck. I measured the resistance from the middle connector to the outer connector, and it was 12-60 megaohms. i knew from my previous measurements this should be around 3 ohms. So i pryed the middle... umm.... connector out, and found that the wire normally soldered to it was disconnected. the rubber o-ring was damaged in the process of me taking it out. So I checked the resistance from the wire that was left, and the outer connector or casing. 3 ohms. The coil was still good. :) I soldered it back on, then put some heatshrink around it, and shoved it all back in the casing before it cooled (heatshrink is still maluable when hot so it will make a great seal). Checked the resistance, 3 ohms. Plugged in the battery, and i'm back to vaping. :evil:
I'm still curious hot that became disconnected in the first place. i noted the wire used in it was very thin, which makes it prone to breaking. it was maybe 32-34 gauge, and didn't use teflon insulation which i would have thought would be used for those high temps. That small of wire would be heating up a bit with one amp through it. I wish i could have replaced it with the 30ga teflon wire i had.
anywho, it's doing great now. anyone with a soldering iron, ohm meter, and some 1/4 inch heatshrink could try this on an atomizer that has lost all hope.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
it's doing great now. anyone with a soldering iron, ohm meter, and some 1/4 inch heatshrink could try this on an atomizer that has lost all hope.

That sounds great - well done. Now, if I could develop one tiny bit of brain that could understand techspeak I would try this :) No? My grey cells have died and refuse to assist me in this matter.

SuperSteph

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
California, USA
Get some 30ga wire and some 1/32 heat shrink, spice it onto the old wire and heatshrink the splice, then solder the connector to the new wire and heatshrink it. i had to do that today after the fix i did broke again. it will be a little harder to stuff it all back in there, but it's possible. you should test how many ohms the atomizer sees before and after you try the fix to try and diagnose the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread