Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Reynold American files for FDA review of e-cigarette

British American tobacco Plc unit Reynolds American Inc on Friday became the first major company to confirm it had filed for a U.S. Food and Drug Administration review of its e-cigarette product, ahead of market leader juul Labs Inc.

Reynolds American said its Vuse e-cigarette delivers nicotine via a cartridge-based vapor system and seeks to offer adult smokers a "legal alternative to combustible cigarettes".

The company said it had provided the health regulator with over 150,000 pages of documentation...

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I’d forgotten about vuse. Those things are terrible. Iirc it was an out of date design bought from a Chinese manufacturer years ago.

It's probably the new product...the Vuse Alto. Google is your friend. Closed pod system, with BT juice.
There's a lot of commercials running now too. Interestingly.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's probably the new product...the Vuse Alto. Google is your friend. Closed pod system, with BT juice.

Or it could be the Vuse 3.0 ?

Something that the General Public has Never Seen.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Still probably just an old purchased Chinese design. It’s a pattern for the gas station garbage stuff.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
"Over 150,000 Pages of Documentation"

:blink:
That seems like a rather slim application. I have a fuzzy recollection that the two PMTAs that have been approved, one for Snus and the other of IQOS, were more like a million pages each?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That seems like a rather slim application. I have a fuzzy recollection that the two PMTAs that have been approved, one for Snus and the other of IQOS, were more like a million pages each?

It's just such a Ridiculous, Backwards, Draconian PMTA Process, who Know what is Enough? And what is Too Much?

The Whole thing is a Big Joke. And when a Vaper thinks of a "Moving Target", or a "Bar of Unknown Height to Jump Over", they probably think of the FDA PMTA Guidance.

And to make this Some Shakespearean Comedy of Errors, I can Sell "Vape Pens" with THC in them with almost No Approval needed.

But if I switch the THC with Nicotine, I have to have a Medium Sized Army of Researchers, Clinic Administrators, Lawyers, and FDA Compliance Officers.

And a Bank Account with a Couple Hundred Grand in it.

:facepalm:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
who Know what is Enough? And what is Too Much?
When it comes to appeasing the bureaucracy with documentation, too much is just enough.

About a year out of college, my wife was working for a huge paper company (Champion) at their HQ when they decided that they wanted to merge with another huge paper company (St. Regis). I don't recall which regulatory agency it was that demanded a bunch of documentation, but my wife was involved in preparing it. They sent it. A convoy of three 53' trailers filled with banker's boxes full of photocopied documents were dispatched from Stamford CT to Washington DC. The merger was approved not long thereafter. :laugh:

Reactions: Izan

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I like this part of that story
"The Trump administration also outlined plans in September to remove all flavored e-cigarettes from store shelves, pointing the finger at sweet flavors that had drawn millions of children into nicotine addiction."

I had no idea millions were now nic fiends.
The count is probably not an exaggeration. The rest is b.s. since it would be the same for tobacco flavors.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Here is what the WSJ say's Reynolds has done...

"The submission by Reynolds, the U.S. business unit of British American Tobacco PLC, covers a group of products in its Vuse Solo line of e-cigarettes, including several different flavors, company executives said. The Solo refill pods come in flavors such as melon, chai, mint and berry.

The company plans additional applications over the next several months. Reynolds has three other Vuse product lines including Alto, a rectangular vaporizer which the company is promoting as a competitor to market leader Juul."

Reynolds Files for FDA Review of Vuse E-Cigarettes

Also of note was their mention of NJOY.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It's just such a Ridiculous, Backwards, Draconian PMTA Process, who Know what is Enough? And what is Too Much?

The Whole thing is a Big Joke. And when a Vaper thinks of a "Moving Target", or a "Bar of Unknown Height to Jump Over", they probably think of the FDA PMTA Guidance.

And to make this Some Shakespearean Comedy of Errors, I can Sell "Vape Pens" with THC in them with almost No Approval needed.

But if I switch the THC with Nicotine, I have to have a Medium Sized Army of Researchers, Clinic Administrators, Lawyers, and FDA Compliance Officers.

And a Bank Account with a Couple Hundred Grand in it.

:facepalm:
...and the ones that aren’t already regulated are the ones doing all the damage the regulated ones are being blamed for it while the people doing the blaming pretends the regulation doesn’t already exist. It’s infuriating.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: zoiDman

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I like this part of that story
"The Trump administration also outlined plans in September to remove all flavored e-cigarettes from store shelves, pointing the finger at sweet flavors that had drawn millions of children into nicotine addiction."

I had no idea millions were now nic fiends.
What's ironic to me is kids can't be attracted by flavors or nicotine if they've never experienced them. What attracts them is the visible vapor. Take that away and nobody is attracted to smoking or vaping. Tobacco sales are $800- one trillion a year world wide and governments take a very large share of the money. The business is not going to die quietly.

Reactions: AttyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread