Status
Not open for further replies.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
I just did my first ribbon wire build. A measly three wrap single coil build coming to .63 ohms. The hit was really harsh so I pop the top off and fire it to see what's going on, and the juice ignites around the coil. It seems the lead from the positive pin is glowing red even when the coils are wicked with saturated cotton. Without the cotton, the coil was glowing evenly. It's definitely the juice since the Japanese cotton was not scarred. For now, I've wrapped wick around the lead which seems to be doing the trick, but I would like to know if there is a better way of dealing with this.

juggalofisher88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sounds like u gotta short, have you checked the screws make sure nothing loosened up? Or check the ribbon for imperfections

sig-153231.jpg

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Try twisting the wire and build again, better flavor imo, and wouldn't run into that problem. That sounds real sucky. Hope you get to solve it real soon!

thanks for this. I tried twisting my ribbon wire yesterday. did 2 strands twisted together, just used two screwdrivers and twisted em manually. Twisted ribbon wire is insane. It doesnt coil as tight as low gauge kanthal, but holy smoke does it heat up quick! I usually run 0.7-0.9 ohm kanthal builds at 25-30 watts, but this twisted ribbon wire heats up so quick i only have to do around 20-25watts on a similar ohm build. I dont know what it is since they're both kanthal, but twisted ribbon wire heats up way faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread