Right now that Dr.Oz show is going to talk about e-cig dangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Yeah those danged ole humans. They have caused death, war, global warming, extinction of many species, and many more atrocities against the universe. Ban them all. :D

But.. but... to whom will I bequeath my lovely vaping gear if I get banned and so does every other human?
No fair! *crying in my grapefruit e-liquid* :(

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Wait. What? Is Matt Myers having a Come-To-Jesus moment here?

Of course not. That's just his way of jumping on the bandwagon calling upon the FDA to start regulating e-cigarettes. As soon as they do, he'll start pushing the FDA to impose regulations that will work to make them much less acceptable as a substitute for smoking--to protect the chiiiiiildren, of course.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
And then to say that vapers take in much more nicotine than if they were smoking

This is either an outright lie or a statement of staggering ignorance, since it's been scientifically established that it takes an hour of near-constant vaping to reach the same blood nicotine level you achieve in five minutes of smoking a cigarette. "Irresponsible" is not a strong enough word for pronouncements like this, because it's the type of thing that could directly dissuade someone from using e-cigs to quit smoking.

JackInCali

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2014
Fresno, CA
I saw it already (east coast 4pm est).

He is a fool. He shows ONE drop of eliquid, and say that is enough to poison a child.

I didn't see the show but I bet the whole audience noticeably gasped when he did this.

I wonder what else that is laying around the house that can poison a child in one drop? Instead of banning these things we should be banning careless parents...

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
My wife was watching him the other day. I has to leave the room because he is a fool. Isn't he the guy who attacked apple juice for having too much arsenic in it?........................................

ugh, I can't believe I have to "defend" dr. oz, but in the apple juice case, I am 99% sure he was proven right. I did send dr. oz an email about his stupid ecig segment!

Jake6731

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Plano,TX,USA
ugh, I can't believe I have to "defend" dr. oz, but in the apple juice case, I am 99% sure he was proven right. I did send dr. oz an email about his stupid ecig segment!

Might not want to head down the Yellow Brick Road just yet..

"When the Dr. Oz Show gave the FDA information suggesting that apple juice samples it had tested showed results as high as 36 parts per billion (ppb) of total arsenic, the FDA obtained its own samples of apple juice—including a sample of the same lot of apple juice purportedly containing 36 ppb—for analysis. The FDA’s test results do not support the findings of the Dr. Oz Show, and, in fact, are significantly less (2 to 6 ppb) than the levels found by the television program’s analyhttp://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=12939494sis."

"FDA has since responded to the Dr Oz claim, and said in a statement, “There is no evidence of any public health risk from drinking these juices. And FDA has been testing them for years.”

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
well, then I stand corrected! good, I hate defending dr. oz!

Might not want to head down the Yellow Brick Road just yet..

"When the Dr. Oz Show gave the FDA information suggesting that apple juice samples it had tested showed results as high as 36 parts per billion (ppb) of total arsenic, the FDA obtained its own samples of apple juice—including a sample of the same lot of apple juice purportedly containing 36 ppb—for analysis. The FDA’s test results do not support the findings of the Dr. Oz Show, and, in fact, are significantly less (2 to 6 ppb) than the levels found by the television program’s analyhttp://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=12939494sis."

"FDA has since responded to the Dr Oz claim, and said in a statement, “There is no evidence of any public health risk from drinking these juices. And FDA has been testing them for years.”

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
And we trust the FDA's testing? Frankly, I don't trust either one anymore.

They do some good work (though not often enough) on the "food" side of things, but on the "drugs" side of things, the FDA is basically a racketeering organization that exists to protect the fiduciary interests of its paymasters in the pharmaceutical industry. There is no length of dishonesty to which they won't stoop, and no number of people whose health they won't willingly jeopardize, in accomplishing that mission.

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
They do some good work (though not often enough) on the "food" side of things, but on the "drugs" side of things, the FDA is basically a racketeering organization that exists to protect the fiduciary interests of its paymasters in the pharmaceutical industry. There is no length of dishonesty to which they won't stoop, and no number of people whose health they won't willingly jeopardize, in accomplishing that mission.

Yep, and the scary thing is that by and large, the public buys into the whole scheme. Just look at our fight, I can't begin to count the number of times I've read or heard that the DANGER of ecigs is their lack of FDA approval. Makes me sick every time. I swear half the country would eat fresh cow patties if they were FDA approved.

(The REALLY scary thing is, though, the FDA KNOWS this)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Of course not. That's just his way of jumping on the bandwagon calling upon the FDA to start regulating e-cigarettes. As soon as they do, he'll start pushing the FDA to impose regulations that will work to make them much less acceptable as a substitute for smoking--to protect the chiiiiiildren, of course.
Exactly.

After I posted that I read his quote again and immediately saw what he was up to.
Electronic cigarettes have promise to save lives, as long as we regulate the hell out of them.

Thanks but no thanks.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I wouldn't trust them when it comes to food either.
They have paymasters (Monsanto) on that side as well.

EDIT: By the way, what's up San Marcos!!
EDIT: I'm in Vista.
EDIT: Check out the thread I posted about Feels Good Vapor
EDIT: :)

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I can't begin to count the number of times I've read or heard that the DANGER of ecigs is their lack of FDA approval. Makes me sick every time.[/SIZE]

God, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this pet peeve. There seems to be a sizeable segment of our population that thinks "unregulated" is tantamount to "hazardous and probably deadly." As though vendors are going to make their products as unsafe as possible just because they aren't being actively prevented from doing so by the federal government. This attitude is so commonplace that I even hear it from some of our fellow vapers. It is certainly regrettable that so many people actively reject (whether they realize it or not) our country's form of government as it was originally constituted, and feel like they can't get through their daily lives unscathed without Uncle Sam holding their hand and keeping them safe from their own stupidity and lack of discretion.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
God, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this pet peeve. There seems to be a sizeable segment of our population that thinks "unregulated" is tantamount to "hazardous and probably deadly." As though vendors are going to make their products as unsafe as possible just because they aren't being actively prevented from doing so by the federal government. This attitude is so commonplace that I even hear it from some of our fellow vapers. It is certainly regrettable that so many people actively reject (whether they realize it or not) our country's form of government as it was originally constituted, and feel like they can't get through their daily lives unscathed without Uncle Sam holding their hand and keeping them safe from their own stupidity and lack of discretion.

Anyone who feels that way should try "FDA Approved Chantix". I went half the prescription and had to stop. That stuff is bad news.

Insignificance

Jan 14, 2013
New Jersey
Anyone who feels that way should try "FDA Approved Chantix". I went half the prescription and had to stop. That stuff is bad news.

+1 on Chantix. While I'm sure it has helped a number of people (and good for them), I had suicidal ideation after the first week on it and my family started to follow me around for 2 days after I stopped worried that I was going to follow through on it....it was the scariest few days of my life.

As for Dr. Oz, with all due respect for any Dr. Oz fans here that guy peddles more garbage "science" than actual sound advice. My own doctor was talking to me about lowering my cholesterol the natural way and I asked him about gluten considering that's all the rage these days and he immediately asked me - "Do you watch that Dr. Oz guy?" - and went into a rant about how many of his patients ask him about the "dangers" of gluten and that they saw it on Dr. Oz. My doctor said it baffles him how anyone would voluntarily go on a gluten-free diet considering how restrictive and expensive it is.....he said he has patients who have Celiac Disease who struggle to stay gluten-free.

liquid_strat

Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
u.s.
I haven't seen this commented so I'll have a go.

Celebrities, Dr. Oz, with a national talk show can have an immense impact on an "Uniformed Public Opinion". Just like Opra Winfrey can suggest a book, and the public, for that reason alone, makes the book a national best seller. I know much of Middle America watches shows like Dr. Oz, as its syndicated on one of the "Big Three" Networks. I absolutely remember when Opra Winfrey railed against the Beef Industry and caused a huge revolt in that industry, or more precisely the state of Texas. The Beef/Cattle Industry sued and there was an apology and retraction. This is an example of what an industry with billions of dollars can do to defend itself. The United States Vaping community is, as a "Unified Financial Entity", basically non-existent.

This is why media misinformation slanted to the "Uniformed General Public", is so dangerous.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I haven't seen this commented so I'll have a go.

Celebrities, Dr. Oz, with a national talk show can have an immense impact on an "Uniformed Public Opinion". Just like Opra Winfrey can suggest a book, and the public, for that reason alone, makes the book a national best seller. I know much of Middle America watches shows like Dr. Oz, as its syndicated on one of the "Big Three" Networks. I absolutely remember when Opra Winfrey railed against the Beef Industry and caused a huge revolt in that industry, or more precisely the state of Texas. The Beef/Cattle Industry sued and there was an apology and retraction. This is an example of what an industry with billions of dollars can do to defend itself. The United States Vaping community is, as a "Unified Financial Entity", basically non-existent.

This is why media misinformation slanted to the "Uniformed General Public", is so dangerous.

Not only that, but people are always more predisposed to believe things that reinforce their pre-existing fears, biases and prejudices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread