Ripped off at a B&M

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybeshewill

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2014
Tatooine
I've probably been ripped off before in my exchanges, but I've been blissfully so far ignorant so it all works out. Today it hit me quite badly in the face. I haven't posted here in a long time but I've not forgotten the good support this place has provided. So I thought I'd share a story.

For my -give or take- one year smoke free I decided to get myself a battery. I'd taken a shining to the new Vision Spinner II, so I go to the B&M store (which I have bought lots of gear from and trust) and asked about buying one. Like I say, we're on friendly terms, so I give the money, get the change, say good morning and I'm back to my day.

So as I was unboxing a few moments ago, the 'scratch and check' thingy caught my eye. Underneath it was Visions website link. So I decided to check out their page, see what new products they're producing, whatnot.
I stumble upon the FAQ questions, and ironically, there's a PDF of how to 'Indentify a fake spinner'.
Running though the checklist, nothing quite fits mine; all the fakes seem pretty terrible attemps, and mine matches up okay.
Except the boxing is off.
And the button starts to seem a bit..eh..maybe a problem in the production line that day?
Paranoia gets the best of me so I decide to check the code.
It's been checked in twelve times, the last one a couple of days ago.

So there we go : I got sold a dupe battery, which according to some are little mobile timebombs. Even if that's not the case here, it's a fake
From a store that I thought was trustworthy and friendly.
I'm a mark. Well, I could say the trust breach breaks me more than the money, but I'm a miser at the moment so both pain me as much.
I can promise to blacklist and spread the worst rep possible about them. I'd go there with the recipt and the verification code but I don't want to spend a minute trying to justify myself to a buncha cons.

Anyways, I hope you found this interesting. I hope you don't get scammed like this. And if you have, well, I feel your pain. :facepalm:

slumdog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
South Florida & NYC The Village
I've probably been ripped off before in my exchanges, but I've been blissfully so far ignorant so it all works out. Today it hit me quite badly in the face. I haven't posted here in a long time but I've not forgotten the good support this place has provided. So I thought I'd share a story.

For my -give or take- one year smoke free I decided to get myself a battery. I'd taken a shining to the new Vision Spinner II, so I go to the B&M store (which I have bought lots of gear from and trust) and asked about buying one. Like I say, we're on friendly terms, so I give the money, get the change, say good morning and I'm back to my day.

So as I was unboxing a few moments ago, the 'scratch and check' thingy caught my eye. Underneath it was Visions website link. So I decided to check out their page, see what new products they're producing, whatnot.
I stumble upon the FAQ questions, and ironically, there's a PDF of how to 'Indentify a fake spinner'.
Running though the checklist, nothing quite fits mine; all the fakes seem pretty terrible attemps, and mine matches up okay.
Except the boxing is off.
And the button starts to seem a bit..eh..maybe a problem in the production line that day?
Paranoia gets the best of me so I decide to check the code.
It's been checked in twelve times, the last one a couple of days ago.

So there we go : I got sold a dupe battery, which according to some are little mobile timebombs. Even if that's not the case here, it's a fake
From a store that I thought was trustworthy and friendly.
I'm a mark. Well, I could say the trust breach breaks me more than the money, but I'm a miser at the moment so both pain me as much.
I can promise to blacklist and spread the worst rep possible about them. I'd go there with the recipt and the verification code but I don't want to spend a minute trying to justify myself to a buncha cons.

Anyways, I hope you found this interesting. I hope you don't get scammed like this. And if you have, well, I feel your pain. :facepalm:
You will want to take that back to the b&m and let them know what they sold you, chances are they, themselves probably have no idea that they were sold a fake rebranded batt...

maybeshewill

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2014
Tatooine
You should tell them. It's likely they don't know these are counterfeit. Likely bought in bulk from China from an unscrupulous distributor.
+slumdog, Btsmokingcat

I'll look into that, I'll contact them soon

how much were you charged?
It's not that I was overcharged. I paid 35 Euros for it, which in the B&M market here is okay.
I'm still angry cause no matter what the price, the product at the buyers end should be legit. Plus I have a rather on-off job, so any purchases instantly count more.

Still, like the other posters said, I might be wrong. I shouldn't get anger get the best of me.

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
Before you "blacklist and spread a bad rep" about the store wouldn't it be fair to give them an opportunity resolve the issue. As posted before me they may be unaware they received counterfeit product.

You should take it back and politely explain your findings to them. Ask to have your money refunded or if they'd offer you to exchange it for a genuine alternative.

If it's reputable store and everyone stays professional... they should be happy to work with you and make it right. You might be surprised if you give them a chance...

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
You should tell them. It's likely they don't know these are counterfeit. Likely bought in bulk from China from an unscrupulous distributor.
^^ This! Give your local B&M a chance to make it right. You will be doing them a favor (and their customers) if they are not aware of this.

maybeshewill

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2014
Tatooine
I decided to follow your advice, so I rang them up on their customer service line.

Now, I know this is coming from someone who JUST childishly empty-threatened to spread them a bad rep, but I do insist that I checked in my anger issues at the door before I rang.
So after telling them what happened, factually, they answer me
"Impossible, we buy straight from their site. Besides, no one else has alerted us about a dupe"

I'm inclined to believe them, but I still had a question : How could the scratch code label have been checked out already though?
They answered it's possible that the shipping line checks all the codes before shipping them off to their store.
I asked a few other questions but I got the 'But we buy without a third party' / 'Impossible' / 'Don't know about that' answer.
I told them I'd check for myself again, wished a good evening, hung up normally.
Now, I'm a gullible person, I'm actually inclined to believe the shippng line checks the codes -hell, even 12 times, maybe it's the blister pack-. So I'll ask you : Does this response sound reasonable or believable? I'm not being ironic or dramatic, I'm honestly wondering.

Last edited:

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
After your contact with them either:

a) They are dumber than a box of rocks

or

b) They got caught with their hands in the cookie jar and are trying to BS their way out of a jam.

Not believable at all. The whole point of the single use scratch off code is just that SINGLE USE.

Barbchris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Harrisburg, PA
I decided to follow your advice, so I rang them up on their customer service line.

Now, I know this is coming from someone who JUST childishly empty-threatened to spread them a bad rep, but I do insist that I checked in my anger issues at the door before I rang.
So after telling them what happened, factually, they answer me
"Impossible, we buy straight from their site. Besides, no one else has alerted us about a dupe"

I'm inclined to believe them, but I still had a question : How could the scratch code label have been checked out already though?
They answered it's possible that the shipping line checks all the codes before shipping them off to their store.
I asked a few other questions but I got the 'But we buy without a third party' / 'Impossible' / 'Don't know about that' answer.
I told them I'd check for myself again, wished a good evening, hung up normally.
Now, I'm a gullible person, I'm actually inclined to believe the shippng line checks the codes -hell, even 12 times, maybe it's the blister pack-. So I'll ask you : Does this response sound reasonable or believable? I'm not being ironic or dramatic, I'm honestly wondering.

It is neither reasonable or believable. Checked 12 times means it is a fake/clone. You would think, for the price of a spinner, they would replace it rather than lose a customer. That's how I run my business, always side with the customer & in the long run, their loyalty is worth the loss.

maybeshewill

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2014
Tatooine
Could be you have a fake with an authentic code or other people have fakes with your authentic code. Now that you questioned the store, if they're not b.s.'ing they should question their supplier.

It's still a one in 12 (or let's say 8 cause someone in panic double checked, lol) I have the real one, with an authentic code that's been used on fakes. And in a 12 digit alphanumeric code, what are the odds the fake company has the exact same sequence? :p

After your contact with them either:

a) They are dumber than a box of rocks

or

b) They got caught with their hands in the cookie jar and are trying to BS their way out of a jam.

Not believable at all. The whole point of the single use scratch off code is just that SINGLE USE.

It is neither reasonable or believable. Checked 12 times means it is a fake/clone. You would think, for the price of a spinner, they would replace it rather than lose a customer. That's how I run my business, always side with the customer & in the long run, their loyalty is worth the loss.

Wow, that's a real bummer. :( Still, thanks guys for helping out and sharing your info here.

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
If the boxing is off and the number doesn't match it is a fake. You paid them full market price for a "real" one. I would ask for a refund. You state the box is off so to me that makes the slim chance of the number being stolen a no go.

I have bought fakes, mostly knowing they were fakes. One I bought said legit in the add and after talking with the seller I agreed to a partial refund and like the spinner. A fake is worth 8 to 14 bucks shipped depending on quality, at least that is what I think, and have paid.

I think the shop knows dammed well what they are selling. The local shop here sells spinners with improper box colors and swears they are legit. I think they like paying china 4 bucks shipped and gleefully sell them for 35 + tax.

I have no problems with clones, as long as they are advertised and sold as clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread