Rocket RBA Kayfun 3.1 clone Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDUAres

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
Texas, USA & London, UK
$13.37 Rocket Rebuildable Atomizer Kit (5mL) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

keyfun_rocket__55894_zoom.jpg

I received my $13.37 Rocket from fasttech yesterday and was impressed with the packaging and amount of spare parts included, with my extra screws and a spare wick and coil wire. The Rocket, made by Tobeco, comes pre-built with a 2.0 ohm coil with some silica wick threaded through it, but it is not setup for vaping. The coil is in sideways, and the wick would need to be tightened down to a much smaller size and placed correctly to avoid flooding. But at least it does come with a coil and wick and materials to make another set, so that is a plus for a new user.

The description says the Rocket is made of "chrome plated metal", so take that as you will. It is likely chrome plated brass. A magnet will not stick to it. It is solid, heavy, and the plating seems to be nicely thick and feels like it isn't going to rub off anytime in the near future. It's tank is aluminum and plastic. It has a proprietary screwed on tip, so a normal 510 drip tip is not going to fit without an adapter, though I have seen adapters for sale which supposedly would allow you to use your own drip tip. I don't find the tip of the Rocket bad at all, but as I prefer steel tips it isn't an issue for me. Those of you who prefer plastic or ceramic, etc, may not like it.

The adjustable airflow control screw works as intended, which is something the Kayfun does not have, and the Rocket came with a tiny Allen wrench to open the airflow control and the tank filling hole screws, though personally I prefer to use a top fill method.

I discarded the factory coil & wick and set up a 1 ohm 28 ga coil w/silica and tried it out with a normal 70VG/30PG spearmint/cherry ejuice which is my regular vape. It produced good sized clouds of vapor, but nothing fantastic. The flavor was extremely good.

I then took out the coil & wick and built it as a .8 ohm with Peaches & Creme cotton yarn (3 strands from the 4 strand string of yarn) using the Kayfun Lite S shape wick setup straight from the Kayfun instructions. After a little tinkering with wick placement and a couple of problems which I will detail below, this is easily the best vape I have had from any of my hardware to date. Better than my RSST with cotton or ceramic, better than my Protanks, Anyvape Davide, DB Puritank or Kanger T-2s. Fantastic flavor and great vapor production as well.

However

Within 10 minutes of vaping, hairline cracks started forming in the plastic tank, from the inside.

20131026_200845_zpscf15e122.jpg

20131026_200909_zpscb83eda1.jpg

I don't use a "tank cracking" juice at all. I have had no issues with my liquid with any of my other tanks, including the plastic T2s or the plastic RSST tanks. So the cracking was an immediate and major concern for me. After sitting overnight the cracks had tripled. None have come all the way through the tank, but they do go from top to bottom, all the way around the tank, and there must be 15-20 of them. If they make it all the way through the tank the Rocket will be useless.

Second issue was the silicone o-ring that fits into a circular depression inside the top cap, which seals the gap between the top cap and the inner air tube which runs down to the coil chamber. This o-ring was either much too large or the depression was not deep enough. The o-ring would therefore fall out as soon as you remove the top cap, and it would fall into the tank when you turned the cap over to screw it onto the Rocket.

20131026_201120_zps30e38b6e.jpg

After fighting with this for a while, I resorted to some glue to keep it in place, much as I hate to use any type of glue in my hardware. This particular o-ring is vital for the Rocket to function, and it is one of those parts that has to be in place correctly or you have a non-working atty.

I logged a ticket with FT for these 2 issues, and expect to hear back from them in a day or two. Meanwhile, as long as this tank holds up with these cracks in it, I am enjoying the best vape of my life.

One thing I have to mention about this atty: if everything is not put together correctly, and the wick is not installed pretty much perfectly, you will get a lot of flooding/gurgling issues and mouths full of hot juice. But, when it is put together correctly, it is absolutely fantastic and at $13.37 it is a steal if the tank material can hold up to the task. I may have just gotten a bad tank. I found a USA vendor who sells the replacement tanks and metal tank sleeves for the Rocket in a few different colors for only a few $, and I ordered 2 replacement tanks. I will have to see how well they hold up when they arrive in the next few days.

Replacement Rocket tank parts:

http://www.smoke-evolution.com/Rocket-Tank-Parts-p/se-tob-rock-tank.htm

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I haven't had any issues with mine over the past few days, and my tank section is clear not translucent like yours seems to be. Also, I think spearmint is a tank cracker, it may not crack all plastics, but I'm pretty sure it's on the list as a flavor that has at some point cracked a plastic tank.

BDUAres

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
Texas, USA & London, UK
Got my 2 new replacement tanks for my Rocket from Smoke Evolution today. Fast shipping btw. 2 days to my door, and even came with a little pack of Gummi Gold Bears. Both crystal clear. Been vaping on one of them in the Rocket for the past half hour. So far no issues. Total price including shipping for 2 tanks was eleven and a half $

It looks like I may have received a bad clear piece of the Rocket tank from FT. Wish I could remember if it started off frosted or turned that way instantly from the juice. The juice in the replacement clear tank part seems to be just fine. Time will tell. If it does hold up then the Rocket is well worth the money. Just can't beat $13.37 for a Kayfun clone with an airflow control built in, even if I did have to spend a little extra on a replacement part.

Best part of all? I was able to bring my Rocket to work with me, even keep my mech in my pants pocket, lay it down on my desk, etc, and the thing does not leak at all. I could not even dream of doing that with my RSST

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Got my 2 new replacement tanks for my Rocket from Smoke Evolution today. Fast shipping btw. 2 days to my door, and even came with a little pack of Gummi Gold Bears. Both crystal clear. Been vaping on one of them in the Rocket for the past half hour. So far no issues. Total price including shipping for 2 tanks was eleven and a half $

It looks like I may have received a bad clear piece of the Rocket tank from FT. Wish I could remember if it started off frosted or turned that way instantly from the juice. The juice in the replacement clear tank part seems to be just fine. Time will tell. If it does hold up then the Rocket is well worth the money. Just can't beat $13.37 for a Kayfun clone with an airflow control built in, even if I did have to spend a little extra on a replacement part.
It's funny... when I saw your tank, and having a full and nicely working Rocket right in front of me... I thought, "what the hell is that?", then I read your review and just couldn't figure out why you had the bizarre tank fail.
Even though I got my Rockets via a co-op before they were sold by US vendors, as I said, I've had zero tank issues, and that's with Absinthe, Solar Flare (citrus) and assorted mint, menthol and cola juices.

As a general rule, most Tobeco stuff is pretty good quality, so all I can think of is you somehow "lucked" into some weird pre-production or "alternate market" tank plastic. Now that you've got good tanks, you shouldn't have any more issues.

They're quite a nice little 3.1 clone for the money... and I'm happy to hear you've got it sorted BDUAres. ;-)

Cheers,
SOF

FatBastard

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2013
Kentucky
I got mine in a couple days ago. I really like it minus one major flaw you did not mention in the review. The incredibly tiny deck screws. It is almost impossible to get 28 gauge wire under the heads because there is hardly any head to them. My tank came in clear so hopefully they fixed that issue. Its a great setup but dripping is still better.

Also the rubber gasket on the top that you pointed out quickly got lost. When I did my first clean on it washed it away without even realizing it was there. Found a good fix for it take the gasket off a protank head and place it on top of the chimney and it makes a good seal.

Last edited:

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
I'll pass if it's chrome plated. I'm tired of cheap chrome plated RBAs.
I'm looking for a good price on genuine KFL or more expensive SS clone.

If the Tobecco version isn't something you're interested in, due to the chrome plating, you may want to take a look at the EHPro version. It is stainless and I'm vaping on one right now. I bought the Kayfun 3.1 from eCiggity for $59.99 and used coupon 10PercentOff to save $5.99.

It comes with the stainless steel tank plus a frosted tank which appears to be better quality than the one shown in the OP's first post. It's not perfect and is a little rough, but if you overlook the plastic tank, the rest is pretty high quality. The threads are smooth and I've had no issues that I didn't cause on my own (i.e. filled from the top without holding the air hole, so it leaked a bit).

I was actually about to buy the Tobecco version when I saw this one was in-stock. I opted for it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread