Rookie with issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prityinsid

Jul 26, 2015
My husband and a I are VERY new to vaping. I have an innokin mvp pro and he has a sigelei 50w, both with a herakles tank. He has had no issues thus far. I *think* my first coil went bad (.6) I traded it for the other coil included with the tank (.2)

Immediately following switching to the .2 coil, it started flooding, spitting and gurgling. Like leaking everywhere. I cleaned everything and put it all back together at least 5 times. Still the same problems. Then I re-cleaned and replaced with the old coil.... works great but tastes bad. Now what?

I am using velvet cloud vapor ejuice (100vg dilluted with water by them.) im running it all at between 30-40 watts. Any ideas?

Reactions: Kprthevapr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome to the board. If your first coil now tastes bad, it is, and needs to be replaced. As for the leaking/flooding issues, I don't yet understand. You say "leaking." Is it leaking out the air holes in the airflow base? "Flooding?" Is it spitting juice in your mouth? 100% VG juice can be hard to wick, some of your problems may stem from there. Tell me more and we'll see if we can work through this.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I'm flying blind here, I don't have one of those tanks, so try to help me help you. First thing, take a close look at the o-ring at the base of the remaining coil. Use a magnifying glass if you have one. Is it seated in the groove? Does it have any nicks or thin spots you can see? They should be tightened "just enough;" too tight will leak as badly as too loose. You run it down till the o-ring contacts, and then just a little extra to get a good seal. You don't have to Godzilla it into the threads. I am inclined to think you have a bad coil, which is why it is making it leak into the tank base. The leak you see below the coil is the same one as is coming out the air holes. The air gets into the vape stream through the air holes, across the tank base, and then up through the bottom of the coil below the o-ring. Either the o-ring is south, or maybe the wick has a leak or hole in it. Query: would it be possible to swap o-rings off the old, bad coil? As for spitting fluid in your mouth, flooding is a good term for that. It means there is excess fluid at the coil. The coil heats, makes a little steam bubble, and this pops, flinging not-yet-vaporized juice up the drip tip. It can have several causes but bad wicking is the usual culprit. If that's true in this case, you're out of luck because you didn't wick it, it means the coil itself has a bad wick. This does happen from time to time. I'm a bit surprised with your 100% VG juice. That stuff is hard to wick and I'm usually telling folks to take a sewing needle and open a small hole in the wick on the sides so more juice can get in. Another potential cause is too much power. the difference between a .2 and a .6 coil is bigger than you think. Try cutting your power in half, 15 to 20 watts, and see if this resolves the popping issue.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
It could be a defective coil. I would buy more 0.6 coils if that's what you were using before and liked it. It could also be the wattage you're at with the 0.2. If you don't have enough power, it'll suck in all the juice but won't get hot enough to vape it off, do it'll flood out because it has nowhere else to go and every time you take a hit you're pulling in more juice.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
It sounds to me like a couple different issues. If it's leaking out the air holes then either the coil is bad or the coil is not seated properly. Gurgling can also be a sign the coil is flooded. Does the hubby have an extra coil to try?
Lol, I should have thought of that! Yes, by all means try another coil if you've got one.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
The only other coil we have is another .2
If I were to put that in, what wattage should I start at?
If you're used to hitting the .6 at 30 to 40, try half of that, in the 15 to 20 range, and work up slowly until you get the vape you like. Understand it won't fix the leak by changing the wattage, but changing the coil might, and lowering the power might fix the pops of juice into your mouth.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Could my first .6 coil have gone bad just because I'm a rookie and I was all over the place with wattage, juices, etc....?
Probably not, no. They don't last forever. they're wear parts. You say the first one tastes bad. What probably happened is the wick gunked up, it stopped transporting juice to the coil and when you pushed the button it burned the wick material because there was no juice available to cool it by evaporating. That makes them taste foul. Sweet and creme flavor juices are famous for plugging up wicks. This happens all the time. And it happens to other flavors too, just usually more slowly. Similarly, your 100% VG juice is hard on wicks. One thing you can do, once we get it working, is use a coil for a few days, then replace it with another and soak the first for a day or two in pure grain alcohol (Everclear) or vodka to dissolve some of the gunk. Then rinse it in hot water and let dry overnight on a paper towel. It can then be reinstalled.

Last edited:

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
If it works you'll probably be using more wattage with the .2 than you did with the .6. Just like @suprtrkr said, it's the same with EVERY vape device, start low and work your way up. Take small hits to start, if it gets to warm or starts to taste burnt, back it down. If you run too low a wattage with the coil and take regular or large draws, it can cause the coil to gurgle from flooding. High VG juices also can wick slow and give dry hits if you vape too fast because VG is much thicker than PG. New coils also take some hits to "break in" so to speak, to give the flavor you want. It's usually 5 hits or so on my subtanks when I change a coil.

Getting a bad coil is rare but it does happen. There is also a learning curve with every tank you'll ever own, they are all different but similar. You'll be fine if this coil works. Don't be shy about asking questions, there are many here to help.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
What is the typical life span of a coil?

As a general rule, 10 days to 2 weeks. It depends on usage, and more importantly the content of the juice. Sweeter and darker juices will gunk coils faster. VG is sweeter than PG so it plays a part also. Some juices are just "coil gunkers". I have a fruit mix that will go a long time on a coil. They are all different.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
Welcome to ECF!

This tank/coil can handle higher watts, try using it around 42 to 45....with a new 0.6 coil. May be that you just do not have it hot enough to fire all the liquid, hence the gurgle.

Try this...you mention your hubby's works fine, so place his tank on your device and see what happens after a few pulls, compare power levels between the 2 of you, set your power as his is if it starts to act as your tank/coil did, try again.

The life of a coil is really an individual statistic per the user.:)

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
I agree, it is a step up the ladder for a beginner, that said, they are blister pack coils so that removes the build properties a rookie should not dive into. And 0.6 is getting close to the danger zone but still safe enough with a device limited to 60W.

But they are on the ledge with all ten toes hanging on at this stage of expertise, they should be fine however.:D

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Each of the coils should have a clear o-ring near the threads (see the picture below, red arrow is pointing towards the o-ring). Make sure that the o-ring is there.

Capture.JPG

If you look at the picture above, the recommended wattage for the 0.6 ohm coil is 30-75 watts (on the left) and the 0.2 ohm coil is 50-100 watts (on the right). Therefore if you're using the 0.2 ohm coil, you should probably start off using it around 40-45 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread