Status
Not open for further replies.

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Hi there fellow vaperinos :)

Thanks to @SMOK_Sophia today i will be reviewing 2 vaping apparatus from Smok.

I was a bit apprehensive to test out this product since i am not really a fan of pod like vaping devices and i have been reviewing a lot of them lately.

My apprehension stems from the fact that most of the times you get a beautiful mod,well designed and built but you just get a chunk of plastic on top (the pod) which kinda brings down the looks of the whole thing.

But this is a review after all so time to approach it with an open mind and let's see how it goes.

Normally i write one review per vaping apparatus but both of these models are exactly the same except for the dimensions and that one of them has a 2000 mah built-in battery and the other uses a 18650 battery.

Apart from that they are basically the same,so i will round up both devices in this review.

Will start off with some nice images that will give you a breakdown of all the important info and details of this small pod like device.

Choice of colors:

gj1Ed8j9Z3fR96JqjX1ES3NAAB7.jpeg

Technical specs:

Smok-RPM-5-RPM-5-PRO-7.jpg

Choice of coils:

SMOK-RPM-5-Pro-Pod-Kit_05_ZMIhO.jpeg

Breakdown of the device itself:

Smok-RPM-5-RPM-5-PRO-2.jpg

Refilling:

rpm5ficha3.jpg

Smok RPM 5 & RPM 5 Pro Kit Contents:

-Smok RPM 5 / RPM 5 Pro device
-0.15Ω RPM3 Meshed coil (installed)
-0.23Ω RPM3 Meshed coil
-Type C USB cable
-User manual

Unboxing and first impressions:

The packaging is properly done,once you slide the outer sleeve you are presented with the usual paper items (warranty,user manual,warning card).
Remove that and put it aside and you can see the vaping apparatus,extra coil and the charging cable.
In total you get 2 coils,the 0.15 ohm coil is already installed and the RPM 5 with the built in battery comes already fully charged (thumbs up on that little detail SMOK).

Got both mods on put them on my vaping mat,one has a built in battery and the other uses a 18650 battery and to be honest the size difference isn't really that noticeable.

Time to get handsy,sometimes size and quality come hand in hand,small device might feel ''plasticky'' and flimsy but not in this case.
Even thou i have a pair of overgrown troll sized hands this device didn't feel that small,the leather on the sides was rough and didn't give me a ''cheap'' feeling,felt good.

With small devices like this i always like to do a squeeze test,just grab the mod and squeeze it hard in my hand and listen closely.
When you get clicks,clacks or clickity clacks you can tell something is just not right,not that it's a bad device but meh,just doesn't seem well put together.
Happy to report that not one sound was heard in my squeezing session of both devices,so kudos on that.

Second test is done only with the RPM 5 PRO which uses the 18650 battery,place the apparatus on my mouse pad and kinda tap it down gently a couple of times and then slide it back and forth.
This test is just to see how well the battery door holds in place and I'm happy to report that i had no problems in this department,battery door stayed firmly in place.

Vaping time:

Since i have two identical devices i decided to use them side by side,would use one then when the battery would be depleted i would switch to the other one.
That was the original plan but halfway thru i just forgot and sticked with the one device,things hectic at home so i blame my pops for that hehe.

Actually when i was about to get started i got a call from a pharmacist friend of mine (helped he quit smoking),she said she was struggling with a new vaping device and if i could help her.

Decided to meet her in a nice terrace for a cold brewski and i would break in the device while at said terrace,sometimes a change of scenery is a good thing.

Helped my friend with her issue (put the battery in the wrong way lol) so that took 2 minutes max to figure out what was wrong.
So she stayed so she could check out my getting ready to start vaping with the RPM 5,removed the coil,primed it up and put it back in again,locked it with the red tab ''thingy'' (childproof safety feature),filled up the pod and let it sit for 15 minutes so it could soak the sweet nectar of the gods.

The filling was a bit awkward since i only use chubby gorilla bottles so i had to till the bottle sideways so i could fill up the pod,not a big deal to be honest.
You can do it like that with no risk of damaging the pod or if you prefer just get a smaller bottle.

Both models the RPM 5 and the RPM 5 PRO have the same screen,a 0.96 inch color TFT.
Well lit screen which shows all the information you might need for your vaping sessions,not one detail is missing.

List of menu operations:

-5 clicks to turn on/off
-Usual up and down to increment or descend wattage
-lock wattage by pressing up/down at the same time
-If you want to change the color of the screen you need to press UP/Fire at the same time
-You can lock the whole mod by pressing the fire button 3 times,same thing if you want to unlock it
-To reset puff counter just press down/fire button at the same time

Ok so with the coil well primed and soaked let's give this sucker a try,started with the pre-installed 0.15Ω RPM3 coil (40-80 WATTS).

As usual and as a recommendation for drop in coils it's best to start low then after a few puffs you can increment it up to where your sweet spot is.

First could of puffs...hmm...wasn't expecting this,nice flavorful vape with nice cloud production and that is at low wattage just 20 watts.

Kept on puffing and puffing until i reached the recommended max of 80watts but you folks know me,i am not a warm vape type of guy.
Brought it down to 40 watts and after a day or so i brought it down again to 25 watts with half the airflow closed and that right there was the sweet spot for yours truly.

With the 0.15Ω RPM3 i got close to 1.000 puffs,could have got more out of it but i was curious about the 0.23Ω RPM3 coil (20-45 WATTS).

Unfortunately this coil just didn't do it for me,i played around with various combinations of wattage and airflow and i still couldn't find my sweet spot.
Got about 700 puffs from the 0.23Ω RPM3 coil before i gave up and just grabbed my spare 0.15Ω RPM3 coil and used that one.
Maybe it's a personal issue but i really didn't enjoy the 0.23Ω RPM3 coil,always felt that something was off.

At the moment my puff counter is reading 2.351 puffs and i haven't had any problems so far.
Condensation has been really low,only had to use a paper towel like every 3 or 4 tanks and even then it was more like an OCD type of thing since there wasn't almost any visible e-liquid at all.

Charging of said device was pretty good,time wise i mean,from fully depleted it took an hour and change to get it fully charged.

PROS:

-Easy menu to navigate
-No leaking,minor condensation
-Superb 0.15Ω RPM3 coil
-Small device that packs a punch
-Aesthetics wise it looks gooood
-Well crafted and put together,not flimsy at all
-Easy to refill the pod
-Easy to view the amount of e-liquid left
-6.5ml e-liquid capacity of the pod

CONS:

-For some the no interchangeable drip tip could be a con,for me personally it wasn't
-0.23Ω RPM3 coil? not impressed
-Fire button does feel a bit too ''clicky'' for my taste,not a big con just a small tiny one based on personal preference

Would i recommend this device:

Well,this is a tough question for me.
At the moment you only have 2 coils to choose from so if you don't like any of those 2 well this really wouldn't be the device for you.
Personally i am loving the 0.15Ω RPM3 coil,so much in fact that i just ordered a box of 5 so i can keep on using this device.
But if you think that 0.15Ω is something you would enjoy then a wholeheartedly yes i wouldl recommend this device.
I mean for a pod like device this checks all the boxes and then some,small and portable,has a nice kick to it and it seems sturdy enough to be able to last for a long time of use.

Well folks this has been my review of the RPM 5 & RPM 5 PRO,hope you enjoyed reading it.

Thanks again to @SMOK_Sophia for sending me these products for review purposes and if you're interested feel free to visit their website:

RPM 5 - SMOK® | Innovation Keeps Changing the Vaping Experience

Last edited:
Reactions: SMOK_Sophia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread