RTA - Mouth to lung - subtank replacement needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyrex

Aug 12, 2015
Leuven (Belgium)
Hello dear vaping friends!

I need some advice for a replacement of my subtank mini (and my girlfriends toptank mini).

We both are mouth to lung vapers. I always build our coils with kanthal wire ag 24 to 28. Single coil between 0.75 and 1.25 ohm, depending on wire. Everything goes wel but our tanks are getting old and a few of them don't work anymore... So we need a replacement, which I prefer to have sooner then later...

So my question is: does any of you know a good tank with an easy building deck like the subtank/toptank for a single coil with small wire?

Because all these RTA's I see in our local stores are made for dual coils or have big screws which is very hard to build with my wire...

I don't like it that my ecig gets very hot, I don't like big clouds on my main tank which is use daily (I do have drippers and a limitless XL for that, ocasionaly).

I've tried a kaifun Clone (bad Quality) so that's not an option...

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
Hello & Welcome To ECF !!!...I can't really give you a recommendation on something I have yet to try...But through all my shopping and study I decided on the Digiflavor Siren 2...If I'm lucky It'll be here soon...The other tanks I considered were the SXK Kayfun 5 Mini / Kayfun Prime & Doggy Style...Hope you find one you like !!!

Here's a reasonably good review including a build...
siren 2 gta review - Bing video

Skyrex

Aug 12, 2015
Leuven (Belgium)
Can you say what watts you like to vape at?

I use Merlin (Augvape) and Kayfun 5 (SXK).. both are good, BUT Merlin doesn't last forever.

I can probably tell you what is not good more than what is proven.
Hello, thanks for your reply! I've tried a kayfun v5 mini from sxk (fasttech.com): first they did put a higher value on thé label and because of that it was in custody for 60days+ and I had to prove that I actually did pay less than the customfree amount of 24€ (in Belgium)... After that it got stuck thé first time I did tried to build on it... The chamber is stuck to the piece with the airflow... So I need something more simple, better.

I vape at 6 to 9 watt, depending on the coil I did build. (Spaced coils). For example right now I am vaping at 26 gauge 0.85 ohm on 7 watt.

I gonna check out the Merlin from augvape, thanks for advice!

Reactions: stols001

Skyrex

Aug 12, 2015
Leuven (Belgium)
Hello & Welcome To ECF !!!...I can't really give you a recommendation on something I have yet to try...But through all my shopping and study I decided on the Digiflavor Siren 2...If I'm lucky It'll be here soon...The other tanks I considered were the SXK Kayfun 5 Mini / Kayfun Prime & Doggy Style...Hope you find one you like !!!

Here's a reasonably good review including a build...
siren 2 gta review - Bing video
Hi, thanks a lot for this info! On the first view, it's deck looks exactly like what I am looking for!!! If it is possible to tighten the screws for small wires, this would be perfect!

Here in Belgium there is one problem: it is forbidden to order ecigs and liquids trough the internet. All shops in surrounding countries don't send orders to Belgium anymore... For UK and Spain for example it still works with the risk of getting cought... The only country in Europe with this stupid rule!

So I need to find a way, like ordering it in a local shop!

Thanks for the advice! Keep me updated if you got it!

Reactions: stols001

Skyrex

Aug 12, 2015
Leuven (Belgium)
Toptank still available here. Hardware - Tanks - Sub-Ohm Tanks - Mt Baker Vapor - Electronic Cigarettes

I switched from the STM to these (using the CLR, rebuildable coil.) Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank
More info on them here. eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil
Hi, thanks for your advice. Is it possible to build on the ego one v2? I can't find a building deck for it?

And the mouth baker shop is in the US of America, right? I will pay a lot to get it shipped to Belgium + a custom fee... So that is not an option... :-(

Thanks for the information!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Toptank still available here. Hardware - Tanks - Sub-Ohm Tanks - Mt Baker Vapor - Electronic Cigarettes

I switched from the STM to these (using the CLR, rebuildable coil.) Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank
More info on them here. eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

I agree. Kangertech STM and toptank are very good and reliable. Ditto eGo one tank with CLR coils, which can be used straight from the box and then rewicked andor rebuilt. Very nice and easy MTL vape.

@Skyrex If you and your GF like the subtanks, why not just replace them? They are versatile, reliable and can be easily adapted to MTL style of vaping. BTW, I use Aspire BVC (non-Nautilus) coils in my STM when I want a true, tight MTL vape. I prefer 28/29 g Kanthal (or28 g stainless steel) in the RBA coil for MTL.

Also, Phil Busardo and Innokin are introducing a new MTL tank (both true RTA and a tank with drop-in coils); it's supposed to go on sale later this month (26th, I believe). You may want to wait for some reviews--it might be a great tank. Follow this thread if you're interested:

Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi, thanks for your advice. Is it possible to build on the ego one v2? I can't find a building deck for it?

It doesn't have a deck. CLR coils are rebuildable (R in the name stands for rebuildable). Very easy!

ETA: The nice thing about both the Subtank mini and the eGo One (v1 or v2, both tanks are nice) is that you can use premade coils in both of them; Subtank has many different coils to choose from, while eGo One should only be used with CLR coils--CL coils are not very good, IMO. So if you don't feel like building coils, or have no time, you can just drop in a new coil from your blister pack and you're set. :)

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

And the mouth baker shop is in the US of America, right? I will pay a lot to get it shipped to Belgium + a custom fee... So that is not an option... :-(

Thanks for the information!

The eGo one range uses the Joyetech CLR coils which are re-usable with a clean, dry burn and fresh cotton. The cotton is tricky to get right at times. You have to cut very close.
MT Baker is not my kind of option for Europe, although I know they tried hard to ship to the EU. These days, it's possibly not entirely legal to import anything without a TPD license number.

I have tried and failed to buy a EHPro Bachelor. I do however own a Doggy style... (from Fasttech) which is quite good but not exactly a powerhouse. Lower watts... maybe.

Skyrex

Aug 12, 2015
Leuven (Belgium)
I agree. Kangertech STM and toptank are very good and reliable. Ditto eGo one tank with CLR coils, which can be used straight from the box and then rewicked andor rebuilt. Very nice and easy MTL vape.

@Skyrex If you and your GF like the subtanks, why not just replace them? They are versatile, reliable and can be easily adapted to MTL style of vaping. BTW, I use Aspire BVC (non-Nautilus) coils in my STM when I want a true, tight MTL vape. I prefer 28/29 g Kanthal (or28 g stainless steel) in the RBA coil for MTL.

Also, Phil Busardo and Innokin are introducing a new MTL tank (both true RTA and a tank with drop-in coils); it's supposed to go on sale later this month (26th, I believe). You may want to wait for some reviews--it might be a great tank. Follow this thread if you're interested:

Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis
Great information!

Yes, I am looking out for a subtank/toptank. If I find them in a shop somewhere I would probably buy 2-3 of them! But that's the problem here in Belgium. Everything is focused on big cloud, giant tanks, huge building decks, ...

I visited like 8-9 shops (everytime I go to another city i visit the local vapeshop with the same mission: find a STM or toptank or a nice alternative) without finding what I need...

The CLR rebuilding looks a lot more difficult then with the STM...

I think that the Ares could be what I need! I hope there will be more MTL do-it-yourself RTA's in the future!

I am even thinking of buying the new Nautilus Mini 2, because I had such a lovely time with my old nautilus!

My problem is: I don't like to mix flavours: I always make a new coil (or rewick) for a new flavour, and in the case of buying coils, this is expensive!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yes, I am looking out for a subtank/toptank. If I find them in a shop somewhere I would probably buy 2-3 of them! But that's the problem here in Belgium. Everything is focused on big cloud, giant tanks, huge building decks, ...

You'll have to order from China--if you can wait. Shipping is free, but slow.

Original Kanger Toptank Mini Clearomizer -$25.96 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

subtank mini atomizer

I highly recommend this website--very helpful when you need to search for any vape related gear : Vapecrawler
The CLR rebuilding looks a lot more difficult then with the STM...

It looks more complicated than it really is, besides, you can just rewick and gently dry burn existing coils if you don't want to rebuild.
I think that the Ares could be what I need! I hope there will be more MTL do-it-yourself RTA's in the future!

Now I hear it's going to be called Zenith. :lol:
I am even thinking of buying the new Nautilus Mini 2, because I had such a lovely time with my old nautilus!

My problem is: I don't like to mix flavours: I always make a new coil (or rewick) for a new flavour, and in the case of buying coils, this is expensive!

Nautilus is very popular, but if you like to change flavors, I wouldn't recommend it. At least with eGo One you can quickly rewick your coils and you'll always have a fresh tasting vape.

Good luck!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I do however own a Doggy style... (from Fasttech) which is quite good but not exactly a powerhouse. Lower watts... maybe.

Agree. I like my Doggy but it's fragile--Subtanks and eGo One tanks are built like, well, tanks, compared to the poor little Doggy. :D But a good clone (SXK or SJMY) can be had for ~10 bucks--worth a try.

En français: :)

Had no luck with Bachelor, either, FWIW.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've heard good things about the doggystyle, I will say I'd start with a clone first. I found the build deck pretty difficult and I have yet to get it up and running correctly. With that said, I hear it's great and I haven't given up on it, I just am trying out some other options first. It's not a leaker, I've got juice on top of what is likely a broken coil, I think.... And I will say, not leaking is one of my favorite things in an RTA.... A lot of people really like the vape quality, honestly.

My doggystle is not fragile, it has been skittered across the floor several times when I tried removing the tank as well as-- if IIRC-- I think I might have thrown it once in frustration. It did not break, OR leak.

So, it definitely has its pluses, I just wish I could find more of them OUT. There's my honest review of the doggystyle. I am partial to the Hussar Coppervape clone, as well as the Vandy Vape Berserker, both of which I was able to coil, but they aren't teeny tiny decks. I have a fine motor tremor though, so my results aren't so typical.... It takes me about 5 times longer to accomplish recoiling and wicking an RTA than most folks, but I keep at it as I enjoy them....

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread