Status
Not open for further replies.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Hello ECF-members,

RtV is through it's initial set-up phase now, and just about 'ready to roll' (meanwhile putting the dots on the i's still left to do, but the times are urging and we are now where we can get the ball rolling, so we are starting to do just that).

Anyone wanting to visit the RtV-forums, welcome of course - perhaps that can be an intro to becoming a volunteer there, but even if just staying an occasional reader: always welcome :) ( Right To Vape - Index )http://www.righttovape.com/index.php?action=forum

Following is the first post about the current developments at RtV:

State of the Organization - October 6, 2009

The status of the electronic cigarette as a freely available alternative to smoking is continually being threatened. As consumers who truly believe in this product, we have banded together under the banner of Right to Vape to work toward a common purpose.
We believe that adult consumers, when given the proper tools, are perfectly capable of choosing which products they would like to use. To this end, we are working toward not only keeping electronic cigarettes on the market, but also verifying their contents and ensuring that we know what we are putting into our bodies and the consequences thereof.

To better serve this vision, we have organized our efforts into a three-tier membership system. Each tier serves a unique function in Right to Vape's operation. General members are participants in the main forum. While they are able - and, in fact, encouraged - to participate in widespread activist efforts, they are under no obligation to do so. While suppliers may be general members, Volunteers are strictly consumers who have been active in the electronic cigarette community in a verifiable way for at least 60 days, and who are interested in keeping the devices freely available to adults who choose to use them. Volunteers will work closely with the Management Team to participate in specific actions. This carries with it a greater commitment than being a general member, as all Volunteers are expected to actively participate in the operations of the organization.
The newest construct in Right to Vape's structure is the Management Team. This group of ten, elected by the Volunteers from their ranks, has been put in place to provide guidance to the organization and coordinate its efforts. Each member of the Management Team will serve for six months, and as a whole will be producing an agenda to provide a clear path for Right to Vape to follow for the duration of that term.

The Management Team for the October 2009 to April 2010 term is as follows:
Chair: BonnieGirl
Vice-Chair: TheIllustratedMan
Secretary: Taz3Cat
Volunteer Coordinator: JustJulie
Communications Manager: Katink
Lithium
Prof beard
Christina
Aspen
Bryn

We encourage anyone who shares our goals to take an active role with us. You may contact our Volunteer Coordinator for more information on becoming a Volunteer. We also ask that members play a role in the meetings of the Management Team. We will have a separate thread for each meeting, in which all members may post comments, questions, concerns, and ideas to be addressed during the meeting. The team will review as many of them as possible, in an order to be determined, during the allotted time of the meeting. After each meeting, a report will be issued to the membership informing them of what was discussed and the outcome of said discussion.

We thank you for your continued support of Right to Vape, and look forward to exciting times ahead.

-Right to Vape Volunteers

http://www.***********.com/showthread.php?p=118834

(Edit: used the forum-names in this post, so you will know who is who :) )

Lashes

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.midwest-edm.com
I just looked at that site, and all I saw was a carbon copy of this site. No offense. However I believe we do not need another exact same e-cig forum. I thought it was going to be a whole forum solely devoted to campaigning for the ecig...

And not just campaigning. Communal campaigning with 'direction'.

The problem with the campaigning forum here is that its just a bunch of different people with different ideas and no one really following. You need a set leader and followers for this sort of thing. "Follow the leader" if you will.

RTV Should be the 'leader' or the people in control. However in order for it to work the 'leader' needs to come up with the best ideas for campaigning. And not only just come up with the ideas, but GENERATE materials for people to use.

Here is a list of things that RtV could generate:

- Web Banners for other peoples websites, myspace, facebook etc. to spread the word.
- An official "COMMERCIAL" stating the facts we all know about how great e-cigs are, how they have helped 1000's of people quit. How its a fun and great hobby replacement for smoking crappy tar-sticks etc.
- Print-able materials that people can print on their printers and keep on them to pass out to people with really good official information with links to sources etc.

The list goes on. This stuff all needs to be centralized and the "herd" of all of us need to be directed as one, this is what we need to do, print this out, hand this out, put this on your myspace, post this myspace bulletin once a day, contact these congress man. This is what YOU have to do, all you at once.

With no leadership and centralized source of materials, everyone is just acting on their own and that is no way to get anywhere.

I think the marketing possibilities of social networking sites such as facebook, myspace, twitter, etc are being severely underestimated here.

Let me put it this way, I'm in the know. And I just started hearing about e-cigs a few weeks ago. And what I heard at first I turned my nose up at because I was just seeing advertisements by smoking-everywhere type companies. It sounded like a gimmick so I never bothered to look into it. The community needs to start advertising the the actual "culture" behind this movement and show the world that this is a viable ''healthy'' alternative to smoking.

Idk, I Just expected to see more of that on RtV instead of a bunch of the same forums I see here. Again no offense, its your guy's site so do what you want. Just my $.02

/rant

Last edited:

TheIllustratedMan

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Upstate, NY
Lashes,

It's weird, I had the exact same thoughts the first time I visited Right to Vape. "What are they really doing?" "This looks just like ECF." "Why bother hanging around here?"
Later I was compelled to get a hold of some of the Volunteers and ask about joining the activist group inside Right to Vape. I wanted to help. I wanted to DO something. I was ready to FIGHT!
After some internal deliberations (turns out that I was the first to ask to help out in a long time, and they didn't really know what to do with me), I was welcomed with open arms. Now I am Vice Chair of the activist group. So what does that mean?
Like you, I want to see a concentrated effort toward spreading the word. I want to see many people all working together to protect our right to vape. I want to see legality, legitimatization, quality assurance, knowledge of the short- and long-term effects of vaping, and most of all, public awareness.
Unfortunately, as excited and motivated and ready-to-go as we all are, in order for any unified efforts we first need unification and guidance. That is the stage that we are at with Right to Vape.
This seems odd at first. The site was started in January, why isn't this all set up and ready? The simple answer to that is that the site wasn't originally intended to really be an activist group. Instead, it was to be a resource for individuals to use in their own vaping experience and in their own activist activities. It is only recently that the activist group portion really started to become a necessity and a reality. In hindsight, should it have been more aggressively pursued back in January? Absolutely, but this is what we have and this is where we are.
The reason that you don't see much discussion of actual efforts in the main forum is the simple reality of the situation. There are people who would like to have their own voices heard and no one else's. These people want the electronic cigarette buried and forgotten. It is entirely possible that they could use information of our efforts against us, or cause so many problems inside the group itself that nothing would ever get done. For this reason, we are semi-private. We welcome anyone who wishes to apply with us to do so, but we have set some criteria to be met so that we have some reasonable measure of whether the person we are allowing to participate in our efforts is truly attempting to support the electronic cigarette.

I hope that this explains a little bit about where we are coming from and why we operate as we do. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask them of our communications manager, or talk to our volunteer coordinator if you wish to help out in a more formal capacity.

-Nathan Dunn
Vice Chair
Right to Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread