RUBI with blank pods

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLR650Tagg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2014
Springfield MO.
What can I do about the burnt taste? I just bought a rubi and I am using mr salt orange lemonade but it tastes like ash! Is there anything I can do to fix it?

I fill the pod, then let it sit for quite awhile, drawing through it several times OFF of the battery, once its wicking i can draw clouds out of it.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

LaJollaSaltOnly

Mar 4, 2018
Sorry about the burt. It's why the Rubi is in my junk drawer. The same with xfire. Meh. Ill stick with MyVonErl ...which is now myBlu.
Long time reader on this forum but Reading this I felt compelled to signup as someone who has 2 MVE in the junk drawer, long time JUUL user and new RUBI owner. I had the same problem on my first pod that came with the device even tho I primed pretty well so when I received my new 3 pack of pods I took the first one and primed the ish out of it sucking on it like crazy and turning it upsidown and really trying to get that wick soaked and there is absolutely no burnt flavor on this one. Filled it once with JUUL VT first to reference if there was any burnt taste whatsoever then refilled with SaltNic dry tobacco and still no burnt taste whatsoever so don't give up on the rubi I think its the closest thing out there for us VT lovers who are tired of expensive(and lately leaky pods). Just needs to prime the hell out of it on first fill and zero burnt taste. Now only problem is to find a Salt Solution similar to Juul VT which after trying all the diff flavors is by far my fav can't really use fruit flavors more than a couple pods before I grow tired of them just want a nice SUBTLE tobacco flavor that gets the job done like VT. So far have tried Mr. Salt-E Tobacco(taste cheap), Naked 100 Salt American Patriot(taste too strong like a kinda sourish stinky tobacco) and third SaltNic Dry Tobacco(so far the most livable not that much flavor by far my favorite out of the 3. Have SALT by CRFT TOB on its way should be here tomm(will update)and will try level up next. I think we're in the same situation trying to find the unmatched satisfaction of the Juul VT in a less fussy/leaky expensive option. If you have any other suggestions on what other Salt I should try please lmk!

LaJollaSaltOnly

Mar 4, 2018
Thnx Dansus will Check out Pod Sophisticated Solutions wanted to try levelup tobacco but "burnt ashtray" sounds pretty bad. Checked out the Vgod Cuban and apparently its by SaltNic the same company that makes the dry tobacco but is described as "Your favorite Cigar topped off with a drizzle of Vanilla Cream" so no go for me. So far tried..

1. SALT tobacco(by far the worst flavor of all 4)
2. Mr. Salt-E tobacco(not impressive flavor)
3. NKD 100 tobacco"American Patriots"(Taste more like a cig flavor about equal to salt-e in my eyes)
4. SaltNic "dry tobacco" so far the best/most subtle acceptable flavor by far.

tduarte

Mar 7, 2018
1. Priming is a MUST and even properly done (beyond suggestion in manual), ...

Sorry for the stupid question but what is priming and how can I do this with my Rubi? I have to change my pods every week because just get's impossible to keep smoking and I wonder if that's related to the fact that I just buy the blank pod, fill, and smoke.

Best!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Priming is letting you coil get all juiced up and ready to wick nicely without burning etc. Your user manual should explain priming for your device, but usually it's drop a drop of juice or two directly on the coil if you see cotton everywhere, then let it soak in e-liquid for a while, and then take some slow, long puffs to draw juice more into the coil (again without touching the fire button, you are just getting your coil "ready" to use. If there's a wattage adjustment (not sure there is on your device) many folks will start low wattage, and increase gradually, continuing to inhale through the mouthpiece (even if you see no visible vapor) and work your way up in slow increments, as you gently "pull" through the mouthpiece.

I am not much of a pod user, but that's kind of the "basics" of priming. You want a well saturated coil to start so that it doesn't "burn" or get overheated and underwicked the first time you draw on it. If you aren't priming coils, you may get lessened coil life.

You manual (or a youtube review/demonstration of your particular pod mod) should cover it. Best of luck,

Anna

tduarte

Mar 7, 2018
Priming is letting you coil get all juiced up and ready to wick nicely without burning etc. Your user manual should explain priming for your device, but usually it's drop a drop of juice or two directly on the coil if you see cotton everywhere, then let it soak in e-liquid for a while, and then take some slow, long puffs to draw juice more into the coil (again without touching the fire button, you are just getting your coil "ready" to use. If there's a wattage adjustment (not sure there is on your device) many folks will start low wattage, and increase gradually, continuing to inhale through the mouthpiece (even if you see no visible vapor) and work your way up in slow increments, as you gently "pull" through the mouthpiece.

I am not much of a pod user, but that's kind of the "basics" of priming. You want a well saturated coil to start so that it doesn't "burn" or get overheated and underwicked the first time you draw on it. If you aren't priming coils, you may get lessened coil life.

You manual (or a youtube review/demonstration of your particular pod mod) should cover it. Best of luck,

Anna

That's the thing about Rubi. It's a new product and besides been really well designed, they don't provide a lot of documentation. Since I was using the Juul before, that requires no maintenance, I never got an opportunity to learn about this.

Also, since the Pods are normally closed systems, anyone with a Rubi can tell me if you open the pod to prime?

Best,
Thiago

LaJollaSaltOnly

Mar 4, 2018
That's the thing about Rubi. It's a new product and besides been really well designed, they don't provide a lot of documentation. Since I was using the Juul before, that requires no maintenance, I never got an opportunity to learn about this.

Also, since the Pods are normally closed systems, anyone with a Rubi can tell me if you open the pod to prime?

Best,
Thiago
There actually is a card that comes with the rubi in the package with priming instructions but for best performance/flavor u gotta prime the ish outta it. After u fill the pod suck on it like crazy w/o the pod being inserted I flip it upsidown too just basically on your first fill take a ton of puffs on the pod before u put it in the rubi.

tduarte

Mar 7, 2018
There actually is a card that comes with the rubi in the package with priming instructions but for best performance/flavor u gotta prime the ish outta it. After u fill the pod suck on it like crazy w/o the pod being inserted I flip it upsidown too just basically on your first fill take a ton of puffs on the pod before u put it in the rubi.

Thank you! I've done this with two brand new pods, let's see if it makes the experience better or it lasts longer.

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
I have had the Rubi for about a month now. I actually love it. I don't use it for nic salts type of liquids, I use it for 50/50 liquids, and the taste is excellent for me. The pods are easy to fill and prime, and no leaking has occurred. So far I have used Gambit, Castle Long, and Black Flag Risen in the pods.

I also have Kandypens Feather, which is supposed to be designed specifically toward nic salts. I have used Salt Lake's Fruit Medley and Coffee & Cig in it - two very different flavors and it does fine with both, and I have also tried Five Pawn's Grandmaster in it with good results.

I bought these directly from Kandypens. When the Feather arrived, for some reason it was not firing on a draw. I started a conversation online with their support chat function, and after a couple of questions, he suggested calling the company phone support line. I thought, "Oh Boy, I am gonna sit on hold forever". To my surprise my call was promptly answered by a person who said "Hello, this is Luke, I'm the same person who was talking to you in chat", and proceeded to help me in a friendly, courteous manner.

Bottom line is they shipped me a new "tank" portion which seemed to be the issue. Now as luck would have it, the next day, I tried the Feather put again, and for no discernible reason, it started working. At first with a couple intermittent "fails", but since it has functioned perfectly.

The replacement arrived today, so I'll be contacting them to update them and see how they want to handle it. So in summary, I love the pod devices themselves and have gotten additional pods for both. If I can only get my new DNA75c mod/MTL tank to give as much flavor, I'll be a happy camper. Moreover, I can say that the company is easy to contact and has been unusually responsive. It's great to deal with folk who stand behind their products.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread