RX 2/3 and the 510 Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromboneking

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
New Jersey USA
Does anyone know if they resolved the 510 connector issue for the RX series, specifically, does the RX 2/3 have issues with the TFV8 tank? I'm looking at this or an alien since I'll be using my TFV8 tank on this more often than not.

Let me know what you think, especially since I don't want to have a brick in about 2-4 months. Thanks!

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Don't believe they have, anything Joytech (parent company of Wismec) puts out has ....ty 510 pins. You can get around it by being careful and not wrenching down on the 510 pin. I've had my RX since it first came out and so far so good with no issues with the 510 pin. My Reuleaux DNA I actually had the 510 pin replaced with a VT deck well before it started giving me any problems.

Bottom line just don't over tighten and you should be fine.

I just wish Joytech wouldn't be so stupid cheap on critical pieces like the 510 pin ...........

Reactions: MMW

tromboneking

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
New Jersey USA
I just don't want a dead brick after a few months and that's my main concern. I might go with the Alien if they have the color in stock that I want...a good mod from what I've heard but I really like the RX2/3 since it gives me the flexibility (I like the looks better). Guess it's going to be a trip to the hardware store for a rubber spacer. :(

Reactions: r055co

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I just don't want a dead brick after a few months and that's my main concern. I might go with the Alien if they have the color in stock that I want...a good mod from what I've heard but I really like the RX2/3 since it gives me the flexibility (I like the looks better). Guess it's going to be a trip to the hardware store for a rubber spacer. :(
actually not a bad idea for the spacer.

You may also want to check out the Smoant Battlestar 200W TC Mod I've heard good things about it.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
I own 3 of these and use them all often. I have never had a 510 fail. As I think we all know the 510 pin on various atomizers are different lengths. I have many and some will not go onto the 2/3 without leaving a gap. Just take the advice above and don't overtighten to try and force that gap to close. It is only an issue with some atomizers. I think the idea of a spacer/flat washer is a clever fix. I have never felt the need but it would be a simple solution.

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
I own 3 of these and use them all often. I have never had a 510 fail. As I think we all know the 510 pin on various atomizers are different lengths. I have many and some will not go onto the 2/3 without leaving a gap. Just take the advice above and don't overtighten to try and force that gap to close. It is only an issue with some atomizers. I think the idea of a spacer/flat washer is a clever fix. I have never felt the need but it would be a simple solution.
I own 2 and never had an issue with it either but I do use a 510 heatsink between by tanks and mod

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Reactions: kljoki

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Easiest fix for this problem is getting some mod guard wafers. They come in 23 or 30 mm and are 0.5mm thick. I use 2 under my Griffin 25 and have no issues. Plus it helps keep mod cooler.
Who sells these? I checked on FT which sells about everything and could not find it. Sounds like a good idea.

Reactions: jesem

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Who sells these? I checked on FT which sells about everything and could not find it. Sounds like a good idea.
I use them a lot, best ones I've found are from Dragons Den, they're thicker, a bit better quality, only in 22mm though.
510 Spacers / Washers

I've also gotten them from Kidney Puncher, thinner, cheaper in price but not bad quality. They also have them in various sizes
KP Mod Guard 5 Pack- Various Sizes

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

eZe714

Jan 15, 2017
    own the RX 2/3, bought it as soon as it came out. I also have the Smok TFV8 tank, which I've used extensively on the RX. I haven't had any atomizers leave a gap and not sit flush on the mod. However, my RX does have a 24mm scratch ring cut into the top of the mod; not from overtightening but just from spinning on the TFV8. (see pic)

As far as the other 510 issues - I've had and sometimes still have atomizer short messages or no atomizer found, as well as issues with temp control and not recognizing new coil, bouncing me back to wattage mode at 20W. Usually if I turn the device off,unscrew the atomizer, turn the device & test fire to confirm no atomizer found, reset my mode/settings, and then rescew the atty back on it doesn't always glitch out. I have found that the majority of these issues are experienced with attys I have lower ohm build in (0.15 and under). Wismec states it'll fire down to a 0.1 in wattage mode and 0.06 in TC mode but mine rears its ugly head.

All in all, I still love the device and its constantly my go to, all day mod. DJLSBvapes has a teardown review of the RX 2/3 where he shows how to replace the 510. I plan on replacing mine with a veritube 510 but have just been lazy about it. If you are comfortable working on electronics and soldering, it should be a end fix for a device that is extremely versitle and durable. Outside of paint chips and such - all from my own rough use and daily carry, its been a tank! Its been dropped on a number of occasions, pocketed, been in high and low temps, high and low altitudes (even airplane flight) and never let me down.

I don't own an Alien so in cannot speak to it but I do plan on purchasing one to add to the collection. Personally I think (from what ive seen and experienced, I'd say they're both great devices and either would be a great option. If you are planning on the TFV8, and use other Smok attys, u might consider going with the Alien for aesthetics. Not to mention, many manufacturers like Wismec and Joyetech claim their mods are designed for use with their attys - whether this is true or not Idk, could just be a BS excuse on why their 510s suck idk lol. Food for thought. Keep on vapin ;-)

Attachments

• 20170115_130404-1-1.jpg
      20170115_130404-1-1.jpg
      562.6 KB · Views: 30
    • 20170115_130758-1.jpg
      20170115_130758-1.jpg
      931.6 KB · Views: 28
    • 1484514342896-1.jpg
      1484514342896-1.jpg
      823.2 KB · Views: 27

Chodi

ECF Veteran