Ry4 TFA issues.... Does it taste a bit menthol-y to anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm mainly a fruit diy guy... Since I've quit smoking and had my daughter, I've pretty much stayed away from drinking for the most part so I'm not tempted to grab a smoke instead of a vape... Obviously holidays and stuff like that I'm still going to throw a few down, and because of that I grabbed some ry4 (regular) from tfa so I had a tobacco flavor for when I'm "fiending"...

I mixed TFA RY4 at 12%, in a 6 mg/ml blend at 50:50, it's set for close to a week now (I usually don't have to steep my fruit juices but know tobaccos can take some time)

Anyways at first I thought I had messed up and added some Koolada by accident (when I mixed the ry4 blend I also mixed like 20 other bottles of my fruit blends, some of which I throw a couple drops of Koolada in)

After a second batch, making sure there's no Koolada, this ry4 definitely has a cool type taste to it. I know taste is subjective, but I also know every store bought ry4 I have bought did not taste cool... It's very faint, but it throws it off big time...

Is this just me or has anyone else had this issue with TFA's ry4? Should I try higher percent? I usually never go over 12% total flavoring with any blends but I'm willing to if it will get rid of that wierd coolness...

If it matters, vaping it on a stingray x/plumeveil (both copper) with a .29 dual micro oil setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
This just may be you. I've never got a cooling effect from any of the TFA ry4's. As you've been vaping mixes with koolata. You may have some residual mix that had koolata in your cartos that could also giving you this issue. If you use RBA's I would clean them out well then coil and rewick them. If your using non rebuildable carto's or clearos try breaking out a new unused one. If your using bottles that you stored mixes with koolata clean them real well or use new bottles when making your RY4. Soft squeeze plastic bottles will absorb these flavors so new bottles for non koolata mixes may be in order. Also check your measuring equipment for residual koolata. Lastly if you used a syringe that contained koolata and didn't clean it and drew up ry4 with it you may have cross contaminated the RY4 flavoring.

As far as steeping RY4 it requires at least 3 weeks.

7 - 10% should be plenty for TFA ry4's. Start at 7% and work up.

Also test your base. If you premixed it in bulk maybe you mistakenly added koolata to it or your VG/PG or your NIC is contaminated with it from an improperly cleaned syringe or measuring cylinder.. So try vaping just the base and see if that is giving a cooling effect.

Last edited:

fogMann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
I keep pretty detailed notes on all my flavors and your post rung a bell. I checked and I have written "has a floral taste and maybe a little menthol". This is from two different test samples and two different types of NIC - Wizard and Vapers Tek.

So, it's not just you. (but maybe its just you and me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread