Saber Touch ongoing review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I sure missed that 5 volt experience. It's nice to have it back.

First impressions:

- It's very similar in size to the Silver Bullet.
- thick aluminum battery tube, not cheap/thin and looks like it could take a beating
- very shiny
- the loose end cap spring was surprising. I opened the end cap and heard this jiggling/rattling and wondered what the sound was. The spring is inserted into a rubbery/foam insulator and pressed loosely into the end cap. Easily user replaceable if the end spring ever fails.....and it won't just fall out either. It's a good fit but not impossible to take out unless you really want to take it out
- a few machining marks/gouges on the top cap ( just being fussy )
- some imperfect machining on tube female threads ( again, just being fussy )
- the 510 connector is similar to the style used on the Chuck. If you try a 510 atty on it and it won't vape, pull the little "button" inside the connector up a smidge with a paperclip as the plastic insulator in the connector can get squished down from time to time. Easily user serviceable.
- the tube gets warm very easily from the warmth of your skin. I had to pull out the batteries a couple times because I thought I had a short, but batteries were cold. The aluminum conducts heat from your hands and warms the tube.
- Came nicely packaged in a USPS box, not a flimsy envelope
- had an instruction manual inside the package
- the button.......oh the wonderful button! Fires everytime at the slightest touch and easy to find with your finger without visually looking for it.

I'm really liking this mod, other than the size. Won't be very pocket friendly because of the girth and length. Weight wise, it's very manageable and similar in weight to my GGTS. It's about a 1/2 inch longer than my GGTS in 18650 mode, but the Saber Touch has much more girth/thickness. But, I could buy two Saber Touches for the price of one GGTS.

In all, I believe this mod to be an extremely good value for all that you get and would recommend it to anyone looking for a solid device that looks beautiful and can take an 18650, CR123a's and 16340's. Just don't expect it to be very pocket friendly because of the girth.

I'll be sure to post back here if any of my opinions change.

Good job Sir Lawrence, you've impressed a very finnicky mod user that's owned a lot of mods including a Prodigy V1, Prodigy V2, PS PassThru V2, Protege, Silver Bullet, Chuck, GGTS, GGT, GG Slim, GG Super Slim, GG Grant and a Copper!!!!!!

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Another cool thing is you can really GRIP the Saber Touch and activate the sensor with any part of your hand......it doesn't have to be your finger. Also, I lay the Saber Touch in a metal drawer and when laying it down, the button is recessed enough and the caps have an edge on them that the metal drawer won't activate the sensor. I do keep it on a velvet bag, but tried laying it down on metal and it didn't go off by accident.

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Make sure you use Noalox/Ox-Gard on the threads on the end cap as well. Had trouble screwing on the end cap up until I applied a bit of Noalox. Threads on like butter now. Just make sure you only apply it to the threads on the cap, not the tube, otherwise you'll put too much on leaving Noalox exposed on the tube...... which makes a mess.

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I just shined mine up with some Cape Cod polishing cloths and it was quick and easy. Comes up really nice and I couldn't believe the amount of oxide I got off the tube and caps even though it was really shiny. Now it's even shinier!!!

The Cape Cod cloths I bought off were on ebay. Just search for "Cape Cod Cloths" there and the price was really good also.

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Lovin' the 5 volt Saber Touch. Second day in now. I am using some LiMN 16340 3.7 volt batteries in the ST, but had to stretch the bottom spring just a tad to stop the baterries from a little wiggle room they had in there. The normal LiON 16340's are a bit longer and no need for a spring stretch.

Button fires very easily.

One thing I did notice when experimenting. The "other" touch sensor mod produced overseas boasts a variable power touch sensor. Variable meaning the less finger you put on the sensor, the less power goes to the atty. I can confirm that the ST operates in exactly the same way!!! I barely touch the sensor with the very tip of my finger kind of on the side of the sensor, and I hear a 3.7 "ish" kind of sizzle. If I put my whole fingertip on the senor, normal 5 volt sizzle from the atty. This wasn't advertised by Sir Lawrence as a feature, but it certainly operates this way. Kind of a gimmick feature, but interesting none-the-less.

The Noalox on the base threads is working excellent as well. No binding of the threads and very smooth now.

Also, the aluminum doesn't discolor or go black quickly like another aluminum mod that I own. Seems to stay shiny quite well with just the occasional wipe with a soft cloth to remove fingerprints.

Every 510 atty I own has worked flawlessly in the ST. I've tried genuine Joye 510, DSE/SLB and even l88b's (Blu) without issue.

The draw is also very nice on the 510 connection. Not too airy and not too stiff. Just right IMHO.

Everything about this mod is "just right". Price, performance, customer service, contests, shipping time, appearance and sturdy design.

Blaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Kentucky
Definitely post it here! I put this thread on here for any and all Saber Touch reviews. This is an open invitation for anyone to add their opinions and thoughts on the ST. I really hate it when there's like 50 different threads reviewing the same e-cig.

Well then, I'll throw my hat in the ring on this one as well ;)

YouTube - Saber 5v review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread