Sacriledge: BWB Malty -Lesson in Labeling Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
A dank basement in SE Minnesota
Guys, I like Don, and I love a couple of BWB juices. I think Casablanca is extraordinary, for instance. For the life of me however, I can't understand the accolades for Malty.

This juice to me has almost no taste. I tried it fresh from the mail. I tried it after steeping closed for a week, then opened it and waited nearly another week. It didn't improve.

Not that this juice is offensive in any way. There's nothing to "dislike" here, but this juice reminds me of that quiet kid you went to high school with who never spoke, never dated and in the end was forgotten by everyone in the class.

Does it need more flavor? I dunno, because I don't know what it's supposed to taste like. If someone will kindly educate me as to the flavors I should be looking for (other than "sweet,") I'd be obliged...and then maybe I can find out what all the buzz is about.

Again, Don makes some amazing juices, but what's the big deal about the Malty?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I like quiet kids. :) And strongly dislike the pushy, popular ones.

I hate aggressive flavors. I'm in it for a little nicotine and the act of vaping. I like vapor. I love Malty, Honey Flue Nut and Light Menthol from Don. I couldn't vape his RY4 or his Maple Tobacco--way too strong for me. I also like Ecopure.

Taste is very subjective. There are people who love Atomic Cinnacide; I wasn't able to even take one solid drag of AC. I choked.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
@Ciego ECOpure (what Malty was modeled after) is my single favorite juice. Mrs. Doctor Vapenstein likes it but doesn't see why I gave up VS Tampa for it. Malty is not going to appeal to everyone. It's not you. You're fine. Some people are going to think Malty is the greatest thing they ever vaped. Just head back and order a few more BWB flavors you haven't tried yet. Tell you what, I have never in my life liked menthol, and I think BWB Menthol Tobacco is just awesome.

Don't worry about not liking Malty. My guess is you could find a home for it in the Classifieds forum in less than a day.

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
A dank basement in SE Minnesota
While I appreciate everybody's replies, even Katya's slightly hostile one, I still haven't gotten an answer to my question: What is this stuff supposed to taste like? I get no malted barley, if that's what the flavor is supposed to be. So, what am I missing?

My hardware is a Joye Ego. I first vaped the Malty using a regular 510 atty and drip tip. I then tried it with a Cisco LR 510 atty. I now have a large cylinder Ego atty on it with a whistle tip.

I've also tried loading Malty into a fresh blank carto and vaping it using my KR808D-1.

Eventually, I did discover that Malty improves some other flavors. It seems a shame though to not be able to enjoy it in its intended manner, as a stand-alone vape.

And please re-read what I wrote above. I ordered several flavors from BWB, including the Casablanca which blew me away. I also really like the Honey Flue, so it's not about subtle flavors.

And yeah, I know I could sell it in the classies in a day. Thought of that, but I hate to think I'm missing out on a flavor that so many people around here really seem to love.

@ Katya: Sorry I touched a nerve with the ccomparison with the quiet kid. If you were that kid, I apologize. And with the quiet kids, you never know. They often blossom into greatness...or like that guy who shot up those people in Tucson, infamy.

FreeFlow

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
London, Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
What is this stuff supposed to taste like? I get no malted barley, if that's what the flavor is supposed to be. So, what am I missing?

It's a clean tasting juice with a very slight sweetness. I've heard it compared to cotton candy. Sorry I've been vaping it for months and I don't know what it tastes like. Clean and slightly sweet is my best description.

With Malty I get more flavor with a standard atty then a LR.

guitardedmark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.myspace.com
I agree with OP. Neither Malty or Malty toffee taste like how i thought they would taste nor what the description on the website. Yes I understand taste is subjective. This is my opinion. I also found both flavors extremely weak. I read a lot of amazing reviews for this stuff so my expectations were sky high, but both malty and malty toffee were a real disappointment.

David Bruno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Iron Mountain , Michigan
Ciego,
Katya has been around for a while and isn't the type to be hostile. What I got out of her post is she was making a point. Some can taste a light flavored juice and like it. I'm pretty much the other way around. Burn Baby Burn! Vapor Station is one that's on the milder side that I vape quite often. I can taste quality in it. I read this post because I've been on the border about trying Malty. I've been cautious because they don't make a higher nic juice. I've almost bit because I love Ovaltine, as some describe the taste. I don't know yet if I'm gonna pull the trigger. I've fallen pretty hard for FSUSA's RY4 and can't see parting from it long enough to try new juices. There are some subtle juices that are good even to a flame thrower type TH person like me. 36 mg only!

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Some of us just don't sense the flavor as well as others. I'm one of those. I'm a BWB fan even though I think the flavors could be a little stronger. Don has the pg/vg mix just right.

Most of the juices I order fall in the weak category, so it has to be my taste buds. That, and the fact that I still smoke a few cigarette a day. My taste buds are still affected by tobacco. I think people who rave about juices I rate as weak are non-tobacco users.

To counter that, I recently ordered half a dozen Lorann flavors so that I can add a drop to a bottle and touch them up a bit. If you do that, stay away from any that say "insoluble in water". You don't want oil based flavors in your vape. The lungs can't expel oily vapors. You want the ones that are PG based. A dram bottle is $1.40 and will last you a long time as a touch up flavor.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
From Wiki...
Ethyl maltol is an organic compound that is common flavourant in some confectioneries. It is related to the more common flavorant maltol by replacement of the methyl group by an ethyl group.[2] It is a white solid with a sweet smell that can be described as caramalized sugar and cooked fruit.

It's similar to eco-pure juices.

It's not supposed to be a flavor really - it's a sensation... plenty of warm vapor from your atty, and a touch of sweetness...
That's it -

Maybe you bought it when it had the picture of chocolatey malt balls that Don finally changed to the new pic...

In any case, you can let it steep for years and it isn't going to get a flavor ;-) it's simply what you discovered it to be... and maybe that's a refreshing thing to you or maybe it's a disappointment.

In any case... like Vapestein said, it's not you... it tastes exactly the way it should.

So, you could sell / trade it... I'd trade you something for it as long as it's 18mg or less-

-another thing you could do is mix it with something... I like mixing it with fruity stuff -

Last edited:

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
Some of us just don't sense the flavor as well as others.

I teach AP Psychology at my High school and we do this lesson in perception/sensation on tasting... and I teach the students about "super-tasters." -of course, they all want to be super tasters...

I give them this little piece of litmus paper - which you can buy online...
some think I am duping them with a little strip of paper while a very few spit it out in disgust and start making the yucky "why'd you do that to me" face.

Moral of the story is, some people's taste buds are really sensitive...
and that's probably more of a curse than a blessing...
Super tasters have serious problems with bitter, sour and Umami flavors...

Supertaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, I would guess...
that many BWB users might be super tasters or close to...

Supertaster Test | Are You a Supertaster?

anyway, just a matter of taste...

I really love Tasty Vapor and Mrs. T's flavors, but the flavor is so intense for me that I cannot really appreciate them.
My tongue just goes numb tasting the sweet.

Don started DIY for exactly this reason... he said that the intensity of flavors made him rather sick, so he started DIY for himself... that's how the business started...

anyway, I like this thread... I think after the OP's rather genuine and polite concern that we BWB fans owe it to the community and Don to not blindly recommend Don's wonderful juice to just anyone... as much as I love it, we don't want to burden Don with future customers that are not so polite and nice that feel utterly robbed by what they perceive as a lack of flavor...

I usually ask people a few questions when they are thinking of trying BWB...

I love BWB... and my girlfriend finds the flavor too light. She salts Chinese food and pizza ;-)

So, when Don makes her watermelon... he makes it special for her... he amps up the flavor and triples the sweet...
he probably has a special cheat sheet for "maryanne's watermelon"

Last edited:

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
my malty toffee was very bland when i got it...2 weeks later it was very good...unfortunately i have bud problems alot ...so i started getting 2x xtra flavor from one vendor...and when my buds act up i use them...or a mint/menthol...i do know some flavors are weak under 4 volts...when i upped the voltage they really popped...so now i experiment with voltages and attys...:) ...hth...

upstatEpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2010
CNY
Tango,
Awesome link on the supertaster thing. I don't know if I fall into that category or not but I like BWB juices. The thing is I also like the occassional stronger flavored juices. I just recently got vaporbomb's cinnabomb, and mutt's fire and ice and love them, even though it's hard to taste anything after a session with those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread