safe (from heat) Rechargeable 18650 or AA type cells for Headlamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
I have 2 dual 18650 LED headlamps which are amazing, one in my truck and one in garage. I need one for my room for coil building and installing/removing/cleaning PC parts etc.

they're only like $7 shipped on ebay. I got $25 per pair for the best protected 18650s I was suggested in forum for the two headlamps I already have. (not e-cig 18650s).

Yes I do have some spare lithium ion 18650s for vaping in my room but I'll try and keep the spares ones drained when in storage in MODs I'm not using.
I read they can explode or go thermal if get too hot especially if they're fully charged.

I leave my headlamp fully charged (not charging via cigarette lighter) in my truck which probably gets like 120 degrees Fahrenheit in there and never had a problem but I don't want to risk an indoor fire. (I guess laptops are the same risk but I dunno, and don't use a laptop anyway).

So anyway, yea I can get a battery bag for my spare mods when not in use but I read and saw videos where those bags can almost make things worse if they go thermal (like a fountain firework they condense a stream of sparks from a seam in the bag). I can make a battery box from a metal ammo box but I don't think I'll do that.

I have 2 Xtar VC2 Plus dual bay chargers.
They sell the headlamps I want (zoomable and with batteries in the back, not front weighing the bulb down) they're available as quad/triple AA or single/dual 18650.

Is there a safe type (nimHi or whatever) 18650 I can get and not have to worry about the headlamp blowing up if my room gets hot (like maybe 100 F plus maybe sun hitting it)? Or are there rechargeable AA that are safe for this (I don't have a preference of 18650 or AA),
or should I just skip all this and get a strip of AA batteries from the dollar store?THANKS

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Yes I do have some spare lithium ion 18650s for vaping in my room but I'll try and keep the spares ones drained when in storage in MODs I'm not using.
I read they can explode or go thermal if get too hot especially if they're fully charged.

I have heard that batteries are best stored at roughly a 50% charge and NOT in any electronic device.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
hmmm, I might just get the same dual 18650 Protected (not vaporing batteries) batteries I have in my other 2 headlamps.
and then maybe just put them in a metal ammo case type battery safety box. Or I'll just get a bunch of dollar store AA cells.

But think of all the millions of li-ion 18650s vapers have in their cars and rooms and in direct sunlight etc and you never hear about them blowing up.
If I'm not mistaken, a laptop battery is basically like 8 18650s all seried together.
Sometimes things blow up but it's often e cig user error (ohms law fail) or dropped the device.

but obviously I'm a bit concerned if I made this thread, so I might just get 'regular' AA cells.

FYI, in case anyone reads this and thinks about getting a headlamp, do not even use the onboard charger. I DO charge my vapes via USB but I only buy DNA MODs and those are safer for USB charging multiple cells than other brands. Yet I would never dare risk using the cheap built-in charger in these headlamps (a single 18650-type headlamp might not be too unsafe, but dual or quad, I have never charged it with the usb included).

And another thing, I would not use the cheap included 18650s (if you buy the combo). I found the combo cheaper than without cells and tell the seller to NOT EVEN INCLUDE THOSE CHEAP BATTERIES.

As someone already mentioned, who needs cheap dual 18650s blowing up on the back of their head?
I spend $20-$25 shipped for the safest (was told) pair of protected 18650s and never had a problem and have used my headlamps for so many hours.

Basically the answer I was hoping for would be like: 'get 18650 protected 2600mAh NiMH (or NiCd or IMR etc, I really don't know),

and unlike li-ion they will be safe to leave unattended in the headlamp in heat and fully charged (maybe not %100 safe, but not as unsafe as li-ion).

And that my Xtar VC2 plus will charge those chemistry cells no problem.

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2018
Berlin
According to most specifications of the big manufactures storage should be at not more than 45 Degrees (Celsius = 115 °F) and between 10%-50% SOC (State Of Charge).
It is always important to store the batteries (even if in hot Environment) in some close compartment at your car and not under direct sun shine. If the battery become hot at your truck, just don´t use it directly and let temperature go down to around 20-25 Degrees (75-80 °F).
A battery can reach by High Discharge currents also 175°F, but it is better to start the discharge at 75-80 °F.
A good battery should never explode at 120°F, however it is never a good idea to store batteries at high, or low temperature without being present.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
I'm just gonna get the AA model headlamp and use 'regular' AA batteries. This is too complicated for a fkin battery to be memorizing or noting these things.

My back up MODs, I have to remember to discharge ~%50 before storing, not in direct light, and maybe I'll get a metal box for them. (never heard of cells exploding in storage, but better safe than sorry).

Reactions: Rossum

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread