"Safe" Juices for REO bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Someone asked this a while back. It's the same bottles your juice comes in. So, it's fine.

BTW: I keep meaning to mention. MisterELiquid's 6oz bottles are the same as our squeezers. I sometimes order a new flavor from them to try (6oz), when I get my fave from them (lemonade). Then, hey, I'm + 1 bottle. (caps are the same too, only no hole in the top)

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I LOVE my cinnamon flavors and I have some lemonade flavors as well that I'm sure will taste GREAT in my REO, but I was concerned about the plastic bottles. Anyone have any experience with these bottles and those juices known to be "tank crackers?"

Others use or have used the Cinnamon and lemonade flavors with no cracking of the bottles or tubes.

You might find that those flavors tend to "stick around" in your bottles, the o-ring, and the tubing. There have been some that purchased used REO's with a strong odor and/or taste from flavors that had been used. Mostly dark juices, or strong flavoring.

It is best to choose a bottle or two to use with your strong flavors that might linger. You can also change the o-ring and tubing after those flavors. Most other flavors will rinse out with some alcohol.

new kid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Iowa City Area
I LOVE my cinnamon flavors and I have some lemonade flavors as well that I'm sure will taste GREAT in my REO, but I was concerned about the plastic bottles. Anyone have any experience with these bottles and those juices known to be "tank crackers?"

"tank crackers" are a result of interaction with polycarbonate tanks. There is a chemical reaction between acidic's in the liquid and the structure of the polycarbonate. My understanding is that polycarbonate is very durable but has no resistance to some chemicals -- like cinnamon oils.

I have not seen reports of cracking with other types of tank materials.

I think your safe.

And yes, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

new kid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Iowa City Area
I can't figure out why they're not making clearos out of the same plastic used to make juice bottles...

For other than "cracking juices" the overall durability of polycarbons is extremely high. Heck, they use it to make glasses. It is not very scratch resistant though and if you have owned glasses with plastic lenses you know how easy they can scratch. It is also clear like glass which makes it easy to see fill levels in clearos.

I suspect they don't use the Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) since it is very soft and its overal durability is poor. That is a great question though, I suspect it could be done. However, I would need another stay at Holiday Inn to answer that question.

There is polypropylene which some tanks/clearos use. It is cloudy but its composition makes it much more resistant to chemical reaction.

There is a trend towards using Pyrex (borosilicate glass). The ProTanks are Pyrex and recently the Vivi Novas started showing up Pyrex.

I still like to keep track of this stuff. :)

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
BTW: I keep meaning to mention. MisterELiquid's 6oz bottles are the same as our squeezers. I sometimes order a new flavor from them to try (6oz), when I get my fave from them (lemonade). Then, hey, I'm + 1 bottle. (caps are the same too, only no hole in the top)

Pretty sure you mean (6ml) if there is a REO with a 6 oz bottle sign me up :D

CATastrophe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Purradise (NETN)
Some have said the oring in the bottle may swell a bit with some juices. I've had that happen. I just swap it with another, wash it and let it dry a few days and good to go. I've never had any other problem and I use lots of lemon and citrus, some cinnamon, lots of peppermint, and never ever had issues with the bottles themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread