Safe pastics and silicones for mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeSoniq

Jun 15, 2011
DMV
I was looking to eventually design my own tank mod. But for right now I'd be fine with making custom silicone plugs for my delrin drip tips and a twist/slip on condom style plug for the connector end of a CE2 that's on my tank mods. I'm wondering to what type of plastics and molds I should be considering. I heard rtv silicone works great, but was wondering if using them to mold directly to a delrin drip tip or the threads on the CE2 would cause any bonding issues or potential for reaction with ejuice.

Also, when I do get around to designing my mod, what plastics would be good for use? Thought of resin or epoxy making contact with the juice in a reservoir make me uneasy. Is delrin easy to melt and pour into a mold or do I have another option?

VapeSoniq

Jun 15, 2011
DMV
See what Wikipedia has to say about Delrin. Looks like it's a tough, high-temp resistant product which may well rule out what you had in mind.
Most delrin parts look CNC'd. Perhaps I could look into acquiring a mini-lathe sometime in the future. I'm surprised to find there's no list of "safe" materials to use in any FAQs or stickied threads. Guess my best bet is to stick to materials used in mass produced PV accessories and devices that are currently available for purchase.

especially if you use any juice with cinnamon. Cinnabomb made my clear delrin drip tip soft and sticky.
Well now I know to slather my applesauce on the bars if I'm ever incarcerated in a delrin cell. I wonder if anyone has tried nutmeg.

Teach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Florida
Delrin is easy to turn on a wood lathe and machines easily. I understood that low speed was best, 100-200rpm, but I had better success at around 950rpm - I'll have to see what happens above that. It does stand up well on mods, but I don't use the cinnamon which appears, from what people say, to eat about anything. I've got some polycarb but haven't had a chance to turn it yet... it is supposidly harder to machine.

I've been playing with FDA sheet silicone – about mid-range hardness.… a learning curve on that one. Using punches was a waste of time on ¼” and ½”. I found plug cutters work best – the problem is finding a plug or hole cutter that will give the proper inside cut… dimensions are to the outside cut on the hole saws. I have used some of the plugs in different tanks, but the delrin seems a lot easier to work with and easier to tailor to specific sizes. 12"x12"x½” cost me around $35 at ebay. Dan's idea of pouring may be easier once you get your molds made.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I really like Polycarbonate, super tough, shatterproof, but it's kind of soft and can be hard to machine. Acrylic machines better, but it's more brittle and can shatter. I'm thinking of making a polycarbonate enclosure for a box mod, but I'm also thinking Acrylic might be better, especially since it's more scratch resistant. Can't decide. Are there any other plastics that can be chemically welded?

Teach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Florida
I really like Polycarbonate, super tough, shatterproof, but it's kind of soft and can be hard to machine. Acrylic machines better, but it's more brittle and can shatter. I'm thinking of making a polycarbonate enclosure for a box mod, but I'm also thinking Acrylic might be better, especially since it's more scratch resistant. Can't decide. Are there any other plastics that can be chemically welded?

The polycarb should be more shatter resistant than acrylic. Lexan is a brand name of polycarb. It also has great resistance to chemicals. I know this is especially true on the clear tubes – a tank with acrylic can’t handle any alcohol, but polycarb does just fine with it… doesn’t crack as easily either.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
The acrylic can be fairly tough if you use it thick enough. Most issue are from thin Acrylic. I don't think you would have an issue making a body out of it as long as you don't make it too thin. I have used it successfully to make outdoor enclosures for wireless routers and modems with no problems. Plus it's supper easy to bond pieces together with a syringe bottle of solvent. The "welded" seems are the strongest point if done correctly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread