Safe to Start Vaping Again After Recent Heart Surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
This is so strange on a phone. But, it's all I can get in the hospital.

This is going to take quite a while!

On 27 March, I was admitted to the emergency room. I was in a coma for several days.

On 6 April, I was given 5 stints and calcium was removed from the left artery. There was also an arrhythmia and a couple of extubations for good measure.

I've been in a Recovery and Physical Therapy hospital since 15 April.

The reason for the post is based on how I felt during this. As I lie there, hearing the doctor's tweak the chemicals they were putting in my IV, I felt my condition was so delicate! I became afraid to start vaping again (eventually, in a month or so).

Any advice?

Last edited:

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa

On 27 March, I was admitted to the emergency room. I was in a coma for several days.

On 6 April, I was given 5 stints and calcium was removed from the left artery. There was also an arrhythmia and a couple of extubations for good measure.

The reason for the post is based on how I felt during this. As I lie there, hearing the doctor's tweak the chemicals they were putting in my IV, I felt my condition was so delicate! I became afraid to start vaping again (eventually, in a month or so).

Any advice?
Glad you are on the mend, albeit slowly. I don't think anyone can answer that question. Your health comes first. Maybe, if enough time passes, you can lay down the vape, too. Wishing you all the best. Wish I could be of more help, but I don't want to give wrong advice.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Any advice?

Good to Hear that you made it thru things. And you are in Recovery. Take things Day by Day. Myself, I would use this "Opportunity" to be either be a 0mg Vaper. Or just stay as a Non-Vaper.

I say Opportunity not to minimize what you have gone thru/going thru. But the Hardest Part of changing a Vaping Habit is the 1st Two Weeks or so. You have already done that.

So about +85% of the Struggle is already Done!

---

At the Beginning of the Year I cut my Nicotine in half from 9mg/ml of 8 Years or so to 4.5mg/ml. I was already using almost Entirely Unflavored. And my usage was pretty stable at 7ml per Day. I Figured Why Not? I wasn't really getting much if I Did/Didn't vape. It was just more of a Habit.

Things really were Less Dramatic than I thought they might be. A LOT Less. Aside from being a Tad edgy here or there, I Didn't Notice really Anything. So I plugged along with my 4.5mg/ml Unflavored.

Then Daylight Savings Time came. And I was talking with someone and they said how Wacked Out changing the Clocks made them feel. And how it took about a week for them to feel Normal again. I agreed and was laughing when suddenly it Hit Me.

Why Not Go to 0mg when the Clocks Change? I'm gonna feel all Wacked Out anyway. Why Not use it as an Opportunity?

So I did. And with the Exception of 1st Two Days Feeling a little empty (which I would/do every year when DST hits) it Wasn't Bad. In fact, it really wasn't much of anything. And at the end of the week I had to chuckle when I made up a 120ml batch of "e-Liquid" which consisted of 9 Parts VG and 1 Parts PG with a dash of Sucralose because I live on the wild side.

LOL

Way TL/DR.

If you're Not Climbing the walls for Nicotine now, why go back to Using Nicotine? Wouldn't 0mg be Better if you going to inhale something?

And if the Hand-to-Mouth / Mental Routine is Broken, why not just turn a New Page in your Life which doesn't include using an e-Cigarette?

For many People like us who have been away from Smoking as Long as we have, Vaping is more of a Habit. And the Mental Side of Quitting can be Much Easier than we may think.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

Any advice?
Sending good thoughts your way. Personally if vaping helped reducing stress I'd vape. Personally I would first use 0 nic and see how it went. If I felt edgy I'd also mix up some 3mg and take a couple hits then switch back to zero for a while.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Dang, glad you're on the mend! Not a medical pro, so can't really give any "advice" on that. Nicotine is a vaso-constrictor, so the comments about zero nic may be reasonable, as is stopping entirely. Conversely, most of the damage comes from the rest of what's in combust tobacco. And, of course, many docs don't know the difference between smoking and vaping, so, yeah...

While it sounds (reads?) like a cop-out, maybe just let your body be your guide? If you feel like you want to vape, give it a try and pay attention? And if you do decide to stop, keep all your gear!

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Agreed. If I want to quit, this is the time. But, that's not the question. The question is: Is there any medical reason that I should quit now?
A question only a doctor or you should decide. I don't want to offer an opinion either way, as I do NOT know if vaping, even without nic can harm your heart. Wishing you the best.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Dancing, I'm so sorry you're going through this and glad to see you are on the mend. I hope you have have a full and speedy recovery. :nun:

I can't advise you because I'm not a medical professional nor do I have any experience with people who are in a similar situation to yours. Perhaps, if you can't get an unbiased doctor's opinion, post in the general forum where someone with a similar experience can respond.

Keep on getting well and come dancing through the petition thread when you feel better. :wub:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Dang, glad you're on the mend! Not a medical pro, so can't really give any "advice" on that. Nicotine is a vaso-constrictor, so the comments about zero nic may be reasonable, as is stopping entirely. Conversely, most of the damage comes from the rest of what's in combust tobacco. And, of course, many docs don't know the difference between smoking and vaping, so, yeah...
The doctor didn't really tell me anything. I was mostly unconcious/too confused to communicate with. The doctor talked to my daughters instead. Especially Melinda, the daughter I live with.

So, my daughter informs me about a week ago that what I have is Congestive Heart Failure. Not HAD, but for the rest of my life HAVE. So, it's not just a recover then move on. For the rest of my life, I'll have to be very careful and aware.

So, I guess I'm through with nicotine. We don't need no vaso-constrictor in this girl's life anymore.

If I can get the flavor right without nic, I my vape again - eventually. But, right now I'm on an oxygen condensor. So, no little heating element near my mouth and nose for now.

Anyone need a 20+ years supply of nicotine?
DavidOck said:
While it sounds (reads?) like a cop-out, maybe just let your body be your guide? If you feel like you want to vape, give it a try and pay attention? And if you do decide to stop, keep all your gear!
I know. I probably won't even get rid of the nic for a while. Need to focus on learning to walk better first. Hopefully to get healthy enough to get off oxygen. Once I'm feeling better and thinking better, we'll see.

A few weeks ago, I couldn't sit up by myself, let alone walk. One step at a time. It was moving along remarkably until I overdid it one day and ending up on oxygen. My body is not very forgiving right now of pushing it too hard. Too hard is almost nothing right now.
Dancing, I'm so sorry you're going through this and glad to see you are on the mend. I hope you have have a full and speedy recovery. :nun:

I can't advise you because I'm not a medical professional nor do I have any experience with people who are in a similar situation to yours. Perhaps, if you can't get an unbiased doctor's opinion, post in the general forum where someone with a similar experience can respond.

Keep on getting well and come dancing through the petition thread when you feel better. :wub:
I may do that later. I would like to know more about people with Congestive Heart Failure experimenting with 1,2, or 3 mg vaping. But, I'll wait to see if I end up vaping at all first. Then, if I'm not satisfied without nic, we'll see.

I think that nic is far behind me as an addiction. But, years ago I tried making juice without nic as an experiment. I could not get the ffavoring without nic to help. So, we'll see.

:img:

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    DH, so sorry for your health issues. FYI, I use Dinner Lady in 0 nic all the time and can't tell the difference. It is a bit harder to mix your own and make it taste good. I think it needs to be stronger and sweeter to sort of mask the no nic. If you want to try some DL without nic, let me know and I will send you a bottle.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    A few weeks ago, I couldn't sit up by myself, let alone walk. One step at a time.

Hopefully a bit better now?

Yep, don't rush it, but DO stay on top of what ever exercises they've laid out for you. Especially if related to legs, as poor circulation there is a common side effect. (MIL suffered from it, but that's not what did her in at 96.) Compression socks (and exercise) can help there, as well.

prayerwheel2.gif

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    DH, so sorry for your health issues. FYI, I use Dinner Lady in 0 nic all the time and can't tell the difference. It is a bit harder to mix your own and make it taste good. I think it needs to be stronger and sweeter to sort of mask the no nic. If you want to try some DL without nic, let me know and I will send you a bottle.
    I keep getting an error message when I try to message you. Can you message me?

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Hopefully a bit better now?
    Tiny bit by tiny bit.

OK. I did it.

I found my purse which I hadn't seen for a month and a half when I went to the emergency room. Guess what I found in it?

Yes, I took a puff off my old ecig. Tiramisu is so good!

I realized I was not going to resist any longer. So, I had better mix something up that's safe for me to vape. Since I didn't think my daughter would cooperate, I first used about half a ml of my old juice into a 30 ml bottle of PG. That's under 1/2 mg / ml, but still a little nic. It still tasted really good.

This morning, I had my grandson go dig up my Tiramisu flavoring so I can mix juice with NO nic. Only time will tell since I had to mix my no Nic stuff with a little bit of stuff that was already in there. (No more spare coils. Plus that whole keeping the coils wet to avoid heat source + oxygen.)

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Dancing ... so sorry to hear what happened to you, and very glad to hear the situation is under control. I really can't advise one way or the other about using nicotine other than to go along with some other comments that this may be the time to stop vaping of go with 0-mg juice.

As the the congestive heart failure ... my grandmother had that her whole life and lived well into her 90's. Hopefully knowing that example will ease you mind a bit about your condition.

Reactions: DavidOck

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Yep, don't rush it, but DO stay on top of what ever exercises they've laid out for you.
    I've been kind of bad about doing my exercises so far. I can't even find my list of leg exercises. So, I finally started googling.

At first, all I found was exercises aimed at sports injuries for people who are basically already in shape. Then I googled 'physical rehab to learn to walk again'. That did it!

The only exercises I'm in dire need of are the arm exercises. I got down on the floor yesterday to get something from way under the bed. I could not get up! I finally had to yell for one of the kids to go get my son-in-law to help me up.

So, today I googled 'physical rehab to get up off the floor'. I now have a metal chair in my room that I can use to stand up from the floor. It's low enough (lower than my bed or Rollater). What's pathetic is that when I sit on the floor, the last part of it is a freefall. There's a limited area where I cannot control it.

So, I've started doing my exercises again as of today, especially my arm exercises. Being a girl, I've never had strong arms. Right now it's almost nothing.

My legs have been doing a lot better. After all, I have to walk around. That's plenty of exercise for a basis. Although I do need to start actually taking walks soon. I am still a little wobbly.

I'm even taking my own showers already! With the help of a special shower chair, of course.

Toots

ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2009
    USA
    13 years ago I had similar surgery. I vaped as much as I wanted after and had no ill effects, only benefits. But things were very different for me. I wanted to stop smoking and vaping was my miracle. It still is. I feel decades younger and spryer. I never thought it would ever be possible. I hope you find a speedy recovery and be kind to yourself while healing. The meds made me feel weak and whoosy, the vaping made me happy. But we are all different and must make our best choices for ourselves. Best wishes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread