Safe vaping voltage/watt levels when MTL with 1.8 ohm coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezcan Cirakoglu

Oct 30, 2017
Hi everyone,

Here is one question that i am curious of. I am using Vaporesso Revenger mod with nautilus 2 mini ato (with 1.8 Ohm coil). vaping MTL style at 4.xx volts (12 Watt). On the coil it says safe vaping levels are between 4.2 - 5.0 Volts.

But in some articles i read that above 3.7 volts, it is so risky to vape. Is it true? Or is it about rebuildable coils? I am a bit confused. What should the voltage be with nautilus 2 bvc coils when MTL?

Thanks in advance

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi, Tezcan. First of all, I'm a bit confused about the voltage--are you in wattage mode? I'm not familiar with Vaporesso, but I'm pretty sure that you should be in power mode--watts.

Now, about your Nauti mini 1.8Ω coil. It comes with watts and volts (range) recommended by the manufacturer. Is this your coil? Close enough?

n24.jpg

If it is, you'll see that the recommended wattage for your 1.8Ω coil is 10-14 watts. Make sure you're in power mode, set your device to 10 watts and see how it goes. If you're not happy at 10 watts, you can always increase your wattage gradually (all the way to 14 watts) until you're satisfied. Don't even think about voltage--your chip will do all the calculations. That's the beauty of variable wattage mods: you choose the wattage you like, and the rest is done and adjusted for you.

Good luck!

Tezcan Cirakoglu

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the reply Katya. Yes the one on the left, which is 1.8 ohm is my coil. I am using in wattage mode at 12 Watts. When using, the screen says me that current voltage is 4.6Volts when puffing. Also as you show in the picture, coils safe usage is between 10-14 watts, which approx takes 4.2 - 5 volts from battery. So is it safe? I don't feel any heat on my lips when vaping.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for the reply Katya. Yes the one on the left, which is 1.8 ohm is my coil. I am using in wattage mode at 12 Watts. When using, the screen says me that current voltage is 4.6Volts when puffing. Also as you show in the picture, coils safe usage is between 10-14 watts, which approx takes 4.2 - 5 volts from battery. So is it safe? I don't feel any heat on my lips when vaping.

It's perfectly safe! Enjoy! And again, it's all about watts (power) of your vape. One can't defy the Ohm's law--your coil's resistance can't be changed, so when you choose a wattage you want to be at, the volts will follow. Wattage equals Voltage squared divided by resistance. And the best part: let's say another coil from the same blister pack meters @2Ω, or 1.6Ω, it won't matter. You'll still be vaping at 10 watts, because your chip will adjust the voltage as necessary. :)

It's only unsafe if you let your tank run dry--you can get a nasty dry hit. I mean, real nasty. Keep your tank full and enjoy. And I'm glad that you're actually paying attention to manufacturer's recommendations! Bravo!

Happy vaping!

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is perfectly safe to vape at those levels. If you are in power mode you only need to worry about wattage-- though you seem pretty clear on the conversion between volts and wattage (they really are only different ways of measuring the same thing.

Best of luck, running a 1.8 coil at those levels is completely fine and you are not in any danger. You aren't stressing your batteries OR running too much voltage with that coil.

Welcome to ECF, by the way and I hope you enjoy your time here. :)

Anna

Reactions: Baditude

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Hi, Katya (and everyone else) is correct about it being safe. You're using a variable wattage mod, the Revenger. As long as you're in wattage mode, and you keep it ~10W, AND you're happy with the vape, you're good. Don't bother looking at the "voltage" and/or "amps" the mods will display when firing (my pet peeve, they shouldn't even be displayed). That represents the power being supplied from the regulated board to the tank, not the draw on the battery itself.

Those coils are marked with a variable voltage range because there are some mods on the market that are variable voltage, not wattage, and it's meant as a really rough guide for those users. You're not one of them. Yes, voltage, amperage, and resistance all play a role in vaping, but not in all cases of mod selected settings.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hi everyone,

Here is one question that i am curious of. I am using Vaporesso Revenger mod with nautilus 2 mini ato (with 1.8 Ohm coil). Vaping MTL style at 4.xx volts (12 Watt). On the coil it says safe vaping levels are between 4.2 - 5.0 Volts.

But in some articles i read that above 3.7 volts, it is so risky to vape. Is it true? Or is it about rebuildable coils? I am a bit confused. What should the voltage be with nautilus 2 bvc coils when MTL?

Thanks in advance

One thing you are not taking into account, Katya explained a bit, but with most current mods voltage needed to get to set watts is calculated by the mod itself. Now your concern of 4.6v being asked from a 4.2v highest charge battery and lower voltage after that once the charge decreases due to use is not a real concern. You have 2 voltage circuits in a regulated mod, batteries > control board *most important* and control board > atomizer/tank *not really important information and is the voltage most mods display when firing*. Current control boards in the control board > atomizer voltage signal can either "Boost or amplify* the voltage from the batteries when voltage needed is higher than voltage supply (from the batteries themselves), and the second method is to "Buck or Shunt" voltage down when needed voltage is lower than that of the voltage supply from the batteries then the voltage is bucked down. What you are seeing displayed is the voltage being bucked down given your mod is a dual battery series battery configuration, in this configuration the voltage supply is voltage of single battery X number of batteries the mod uses, dual battery this becomes 4.2v highest X 2 = 8.4v supply, not 4.2v or the median rating of 3.7v, even then 3.7v X 2 batteries is 7.4v supply, CDR amp rating and Mah or a single battery ratings are still the same of a single battery in this configuration.

So the voltage from the control board to the atomizer/tank is not really valuable information unless you are using that display coupled with the ohms of your atomizer/tank coil and using an Ohms Law formula to check accuracy of your set watts. The biggest safety rating of batteries we can not go above is the CDR amp rating, or Continuous Discharge Rating of how much current we are requesting rated in "amps". This is another formula subset of Ohms Law, for a regulated mod we use the Watts Set, divided by the lowest possible voltage available before a check battery error, low battery error, or complete mod shutdown.

Voltages of 18650 batteries on most current mods is 3.2v lowest (before error or shutdown) and 4.2v highest fresh charge, we need only that 3.2v figure, being your mod is a dual battery series, we get 3.2v X 2 = 6.4v <- We use that figure in our calculation.

12watts/6.4v=1.875amps. To add more accuracy we can divide this by 90% for the control board efficiency (how much power the board itself takes to operate and function)
12watts/6.4v/90% or 0.9=2.0833 amps needed from the batteries. Most suggested batteries in vaping, the CDR suggested is 20amps minimum, 2.08 rounded up is about 2.1, so 2.1 of 20 you are only about 10% what the battery is capable of, and well within the safety capabilities of the batteries.

Even on a single battery mod
12watts/3.2v/.9=4.1667amps ever needed.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi everyone,
Here is one question that i am curious of. I am using Vaporesso Revenger mod with nautilus 2 mini ato (with 1.8 Ohm coil). Vaping MTL style at 4.xx volts (12 Watt). On the coil it says safe vaping levels are between 4.2 - 5.0 Volts.
Thanks in advance
Could watch:
http://www.thevaperstable.com/videos/variable-voltage-versus-variable-wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread