The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Safer to Puff, E-Cigarettes Can’t Shake Their Reputation as a Menace

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by Ardo, Nov 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ardo

Ardo Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2009
    Tallinn, Estonia
  2. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Actually the caption is very misleading....... Really positive for ecigs. But I guess they wanted to catch the attention of the reader. I just wish it was done with more of a positive note for ecigs and leave cigarettes out of the title.
    Here is some of what the article mentions.
    "
    The warning is meant to stop people who have never smoked — particularly children — from starting to vape. But a growing number of scientists and policy makers say the relentless portrayal of e-cigarettes as a public health menace, however well intentioned, is a profound disservice to the 40 million American smokers who could benefit from the devices. Smoking kills more than 480,000 Americans a year."

“We may well have missed, or are missing, the greatest opportunity in a century,” said David B. Abrams, senior scientist at the Truth Initiative, an antismoking group. “The unintended consequence is more lives are going to be lost.”

• Like Like x 6
  3. Ardo

Nov 17, 2009
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Yes, sorry about that. I should have mentioned that it's actually a positive coverage of the topic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sawlight

sawlight Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    I just about didn't read it because of the title. It's still pretty slanted, but a step towards some positive information.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sugar_and_Spice

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Same here. Given the climate in the US about cigarettes, its a very gutsy move on the authors part. Surprised the NY Times allowed it.

• Like Like x 4
  6. DrMA

DrMA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Seattle area
    Indeed. When the top media mouthpiece of the extreme left publish something like this, it's a clear sign the anti-vaping house of cards is collapsing.

• Like Like x 3
  7. motordude

motordude Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2015
    VA, USA
    Maybe, just maybe the tide is turning.

• Like Like x 3
  8. sawlight

sawlight Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    I sure hope you are right.

• Like Like x 3
  9. WorksForMe

WorksForMe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 21, 2012
    N.N., Virginia
    I think more and more people will figure that since the new FDA regulations will destroy the vaping industry it's OK to start telling the truth. This could work to our advantage.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sugar_and_Spice

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Yep, lets hope so. Its time for the truth to come out.

afaik the judge in the Halo vs FDA case is at least appearing to be asking some tough questions and wants answers for clarification on several confusing parts put forth in the deeming. Hoping for the best....

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ardo

Nov 17, 2009
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Even though most recent study on public perception towards e-cigs, showed that the number of Americans who believed that e-cigs are as bad as tobacco tripled between 2012-2015, I believe that 2016 is the year when the tide started to turn around.

Evidence to support vaping is mounting and the UK is showing the way. Namely the RCP.

In 1962, RCP was the first public health institution who publicly called the need for tobacco control after linking smoking to cancer. In 1964, US Surgeon General followed suit. I see a lot of reason for hope that history repeats itself.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ed_C

Ed_C Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2013
    Seligman, MO
    Pretty nice and from the NY Times as well.

13. motordude

motordude Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2015
    VA, USA
    Thanks for the optimism!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bill Godshall

Bill Godshall Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2009