Safest and trusted website to buy mech mod from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amielzzz

May 1, 2018
Hi, im new to rda and i want to put my hands on my first mech mod
So i got a few questions:
1. Which websites do international shipping that i can buy mech mods from?
2. I saw some really cheap mech mod on 3fvape does the price means that the mod aint that safe or its just reflect the durability of the mod? Because i saw some really high price mech mod on other sites
3. Which mod+atomizer is the best to start with? ( I mean brand)
Thanksss!

Reactions: stols001

stalkster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
FL
Not sure why you need a mech mod over regulated for a RDA. You don't specify what kind of mech mod your looking for tube, parallel, or series box mod. They all can vent/explode with user error. Box's can have mosfet's and or fuse's to lower risk but there's still a chance of them failing.

I would not really recommend a mech over a regulated mod unless you been vaping for years and are a collector or after you have enough experience/knowledge of building coils/battery safety.

Amielzzz

May 1, 2018
Not sure why you need a mech mod over regulated for a RDA. You don't specify what kind of mech mod your looking for tube, parallel, or series box mod. They all can vent/explode with user error. Box's can have mosfet's and or fuse's to lower risk but there's still a chance of them failing.

I would not really recommend a mech over a regulated mod unless you been vaping for years and are a collector or after you have enough experience/knowledge of building coils/battery safety.
Years of vaping? But doing enough research will do the job? I mean yes its complicated but it just some laws i need to follow thanks

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
1) Fasttech, gearbest, 3fvape - very long delivery times, cheap prices.
2) Price is mostly arbitrary with mech mods. You should check over the device for any kind of defects before use.
3) There is no best device. I'd recommend something cheap that you like the look of and whatever rba with a protruding 510 pin you're used to. If you're not used to an rba you shouldn't use mech mods yet - you don't want to short the battery getting used to building!

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
For a first-timer the Wismec RX Machina is quite nice. It has a springloaded 510 and 18650s get a nice sleeve for that little bit of extra protection. Its capability to take 20700s is a pro as well.
It's not the hardest hitter by any means, but as a starting point far from being a bad device, considering the price of 20-25$.

stalkster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
FL
I'm just saying there's almost no reason to rock a tube mod anymore or a series mod imo, unless your a big fan of them from a couple year's ago. Regulated devices have gotten so much more compact and you can get a much more consistent vape/higher wattage from them, and not have to worry about voltage drop. Or just make it worth it and get a mech squonk, some even offer some safety features. I'm just trying to offer some advice.

Amielzzz

May 1, 2018
I'm just saying there's almost no reason to rock a tube mod anymore or a series mod imo, unless your a big fan of them from a couple year's ago. Regulated devices have gotten so much more compact and you can get a much more consistent vape/higher wattage from them, and not have to worry about voltage drop. Or just make it worth it and get a mech squonk, some even offer some safety features. I'm just trying to offer some advice.
I just not really like all the box mods, thats the main reason i want unregulated, and the regulated mods that isnt a box is pen styled that looks a bit weird to me...

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017

My primary reason is simply that box mods take up too much space and feel uncomfortable. Plus, electronic circuits break eventually, no matter how much care you take of it. Mechs just require a little bit of effort to maintain and should last me forever. I build my coils to have a fair bit of ramp up so that the first few hits have a different flavour but even when the battery is down to 3.5V you can still get the hit you would at 4.2V. Everyone says to make simple builds for a mech so that ramp up is instant but this results in each hit getting weaker and weaker, requiring you to change batteries constantly to maintain flavour.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think the advice you've gotten for a starter mech is good. You certainly can go with your preference, just make sure your build is safe, you understand your battery's capacity and how to achieve it and that you have an authentic battery and etc.

There are single battery mods, they tend to offer better hand feel, and be less bulky. If you want to vape a low resistance you have the opportunity of doing that, and many of them are near indestructible. The single battery geekvavpe ages for example it's designed to be dropped, run over, dunked in water, and keep ticking and it is far, far safer than a mechanical mod.

I understand why mechs can be appealing, and I have a couple stashed that I will bring out if I ever need them, but I also have a ton of very durable, long lasting vape gear (and I am hard on mods) so... Saying "regulated is going to die," well, eventually it may do so. Mechs equally require ongoing care and maintenance, so it is sometimes six of one half a dozen of the other.

Also a regulated mod can be much handier than a mech at times. Out and about, mech mods can be kind of a pain at times, and also require a lot of knowledge and safe handling.

I'm not saying don't ever buy a mech or use it, I am pointing out that there are regulated options that are as good as, if not better than, a mech under certain circumstances.

You don't HAVE to jump in at the deep end, and if you do, you are more at risk of drowning while you learn to swim. Because safely using and operating a mech as an all day vape, that is a lot to learn right there.

If you are hellbent on one, well, read up in the mech mod forum, on battery safety, and everything else required to use one successfully. Which does take a certain amount of time, and while I certainly feel that everyone (who has the ability to use one) should own one, that doesn't necessarily mean that regulated devices are not useful, durable, and far safer to carry about than a mech.

Best of luck,

Anna

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Although I never thought I would, I really enjoy my mech squonkers. Even so much, that I catch myself more and more reaching for a mech,when I'm going out and about. Safetyfeatures aside, I don't even feel the need for a regulated squonk device. They're simple, convenient and do the job very well and batterylife seems to be very good.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Get yourself a Kepler clone of the Stingray X. Performance and beauty combined.
Fastech do them for $25, but are out of stock at the moment.
$24.83 Kepler Stingray X Style 18650 Mechanical Mod - stainless steel + copper at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

62C1R4B.jpg

Amielzzz

May 1, 2018

stalkster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
FL
Sorry if I come off trying to push regulated over mechanical, I grab my parallel box here and there and vaping on a mech squonk as I type this. I have a stigma of beginners/newer vaper's/new builders etc. As the OP starts off with "im new to rda and i want to put my hands on my first mech mod". It gives me the idea of "I want high wattage" or other similar idea's. Which can lead to improper use and burning from venting or worse a battery failing to vent and giving a pipe bomb experience, which gives more people the mentality of vaping is dangerous overall.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Sorry if I come off trying to push regulated over mechanical, I grab my parallel box here and there and vaping on a mech squonk as I type this. I have a stigma of beginners/newer vaper's/new builders etc. As the OP starts off with "im new to rda and i want to put my hands on my first mech mod". It gives me the idea of "I want high wattage" or other similar idea's. Which can lead to improper use and burning from venting or worse a battery failing to vent and giving a pipe bomb experience, which gives more people the mentality of vaping is dangerous overall.

I pretty much agree with everything you've said, but then I never could stand unregulated's ever changing vape even when there was nothing else. The only RDA I like is TC squonker (Kanger dripbox 160) to keep me from running the coil dry. I am presently cleaning up my barely boarded bypass squonker (Kanger dripmod) but it's only as a taster to tweek recipes, I know I won't like it except with a full charge like always.
The only use I've found for a mech is in case of massive EMP (which is questionable whether it would kill all electronics and if it did how are you going to charge your batteries?) or to burn in mesh wicked gennies.
I've only dropped one do everything mod to death and it's only TC that is dead, power works fine so I don't know how people are killing their electronics.
Looking at my IPV Mini II's and thinking of their age compared to my mech I can't believe size is that big of an issue or they'd be using eGo batteries.
A lot of regulated even have a bypass for those who want the ever changing vape of old days.
Yes there's danger that the circuitry can fail, there's also danger that the coils or button shorts in a mech with no circuitry to save you. Everything can fail.

I don't know why you can't convince a newbie that anything a mech can do a boarded box can do better yet whoever convinced them that they need a mech is able to convince them of that. But you can't.
Maybe it's romanticizing the "old days" like I like muzzleloaders. May as well help them learn (which also includes learning that everything a mech can do regulated can do better). Variety is the spice of vape life that keeps people not smoking.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've used both regulated and unregulated. Each have their perks and cons.

My mechs have been retired for a couple of years now. I found that I like to change the way I vape by adjusting the wattage setting "on the fly"; you can't do that with a mech. I would get annoyed with how a mech's vaping performance would decline as I vaped; you don't get that with a regulated mod.

I own a couple of squonkers, but somehow they just didn't fit my style.

I've built for a Kayfun RTA and a few different drippers, but I'm lazy and became annoyed having to change out the wick every 3 - 4 days. With a good clearomizer tank I can go for a month without changing a coil or wick, just adding more e-liquid once or twice a day. Just easier and more convenient for me.

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
but its not authentic. aint that kind of a risk buying a clone?
Although not always the case, I've seen clones that were better machined than the authentic versions. Clone makers can have an advantage of improving on the original authentic design, as long as they can do it and still sell it at a cheaper price.

More expensive mechs should have a smoother/silkier threading, a better quality 510 connector, a better designed fire switch. A more "hands on" approach.

Although I've yet to come across the perfectly designed mech, things to look out for from a safety perspective would be a recessed fire button, or at the least a locking fire button; if a side fire button it should be recessed. Non-metal sleeve for the batteries is a nice feature.

I would never buy or use a hybrid top mech, or one with no vent holes for the battery. Either one is just asking for a really bad day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread