Safety and coil cleaning with a Mechanical mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaperTrailBlazer

Jun 20, 2017
Australia
Hi all, like many in the vaping community I have purchased the Vandy Vape Pulse kit (Mod and Pulse 24 rda) and it is my 1st experience with a Mechanical mod.
I have done much safety homework but I still have 1 question:
When replacing my wick is it safe to fire the "naked" coil, release the fire button and place it quickly under cold water - as is my custom when using my non mechanical mods?
Obviously I thought I'll just attach the Pulse BF rda to a "safer" non BF mod for cleaning but wanted to double check that doing this will not damage either the Pulse RDA or non BF'ing mod.
Same for the Pulse mod. Is firing it so close to water a danger to me or (of less importance) the mod?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Anthony

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I have never done it. I don't recommend it, though. Not only are you risking getting water in your juice-- unless you put the atty on a non-BF mod as you suggest-- but the sudden cooling, known as "quenching" in metallurgical terms, makes the coil wire harder and therefore more brittle. Instead, let me suggest you heat the coil wire to glowing dull red, not bright red or incandescent, and then let it cool down some. Following this, scrape the gunk off the coil with a probe-- I use a dental-type pick, one of the handiest tools in my vape tool bag-- and clean with a Q-tip. Several tries may be necessary. It's perfectly OK to wash the build base and coil(s) in water, with or without soap, but I don't do it when the coil is hot. If I can't touch it with my finger, it's too hot to go into the water. I usually dry burn and scrape until I get the gunk off, then wash the whole thing and allow to dry before re-wicking. Most of the gunk on the coil is sugar/sweetener from the juice that didn't vaporize. It caramelizes and gets sticky. Heating it dry makes it burn, therefore getting hard and brittle itself. That's when it gets easier to scrape off.

YMMV. You've been doing it a while, it seems, with no ill effect (other than needlessly shortening the life of the coil wire, a thing hard to pin down or attribute causation). Perhaps there are other veterans out there who will offer different advice. But I don't do that, or recommend it.

Hope that helps.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’ve done it. As a quick cleaning option it does function, but I noticed it reduced the life of my coils. Another option is to blow the ash off with air. It’s not quite as quick, but you don’t have to get up, so I’d call it a wash slack wise.

As far as coil cleaning goes which mod is under the atty shouldn’t make a big difference. Either way water in the mod is something you don’t want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread