Salt nic with .8 coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grego25

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
I recently got a .8 mesh coil for my novo pod. I like the way it hits and would like to use the same nic salt juice I have been using with the stock coil. Seems like 35 mg with a 1.2 or 1.4 coil would be similar to 20 with a .8. I have read comments that make it seem like certain coils are designed for the traditional ejuice. Is there a reason not to try this?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
There's nothing magical about coils (or nic salts come to that) - they are designed to heat up when a current is passed through them. Anyone who states that a particuliar wire type, resistance or configuration of coil is 'designed' for salts is delusional.
Considering most liquids today contain a miniscule amount of nicotine it really makes no difference - The bulk of e-liquid is non salty VG & PG.....
Sorry, cranky today :grr:
Vape what you want in whatever you want using any coil you choose !

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Every time i see questions about salt nic on here i get cranky. Downright salty, even. So here is a bold statement....im vaping nic salt right now as i type this. Im using a .15 ohm coil at 135 watts even. Never mind that i make my own juice at nic levels somewhere between 6 and 9 mg/ml, I'm vaping nic salt at 135 watts with a very sub ohm coil. And when im feeling really salty, ill pump up the wattage to 150.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
What coil and what wattage is (within reason) a matter of preference, experimentation is required to find what's right for you.
Generally speaking thinner higher resistance wires are used with lower power levels because there is less wire to heat up. Thicker lower resistance wires are used in higher power applications because they are better suited to these higher power levels. The coil resistance is a consequence of their suitability for power level you are using, not the other way around. Unless of course you are using an unregulated device in which case this relationship takes care of itself.
Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

The nicotine in nic salt juices have been chemically altered by treating them with an acid. This is the nicotine component, which is still combined with VG and VG as usual. This chemical treatment means that the nicotine produces relatively less throat hit, making them potentially more suitable for use in high concentration applications like pod systems.
In terms of use nic salts are pretty much identical to freebase juices. Use a 24mg nic salt as you would a 24mg freebase pg/vg juice.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Nic salt nic salt nic salt nic salt. Freebase freebase. The confusion and debate will never end will it? The dumbing down of humanity is apparent, people read one thing and comprehend something totally different. We can explain nic salt till we be blue in the face and still not make any headway. I think i might just block/delete any future nic salt threads as they arise.

• Agree

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
"Designed for nic salt" is a claim that makes the implicit assumption that all nic salt e.juice is highly concentrated and freebase nic e.juice is less concentrated. This is because nic salt was first popularized by the Juul in extremely high 50mg+ concentrations. In reality, there is no reason nic salt cannot be used in any concentration, so as time goes on, especially as DIYers get involved, the claim makes less and less sense. As always, the strength of your nicotine is inversely proportional to the wattage of your device, whichever kind you choose.

brad-man

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2019
So Florida
Nic salt nic salt nic salt nic salt. Freebase freebase. The confusion and debate will never end will it? The dumbing down of humanity is apparent, people read one thing and comprehend something totally different. We can explain nic salt till we be blue in the face and still not make any headway. I think i might just block/delete any future nic salt threads as they arise.

I can't tell if you need more coffee or less coffee...

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I agree that it makes no difference to a coil whether it’s used for salts or freebase.

I sometimes think the description will say made for salt just so the people in back see that it can be used in that way - there are always new folks who don’t just know what stuff can be used with what stuff. Also, it’s a marketing ploy.

As for how much nic, only you could know that, by trial and error. 20 mgs would be too high for me at .5 ohms, but it may be just the thing in your case.

6 mg freebase is what I make for sub ohm, but I use 25 mg salts at 1.2- 1.6.

Just remember lower ohms needs higher watts and makes more vapor.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Freebase nicotine (i.e. pure nicotine) is produced by deprotonating the nicotine compounds as found in tobacco.

While greatly effective, freebase nicotine is alkaline, therefore it becomes harsh to the taste when present in higher concentrations.

Then nicotine is presented as a salt when used for vaping. We mostly use nicotine benzoate, closely followed by nicotine citrate.

Nicotine benzoate and nicotine citrate have much lower pH than freebase nicotine, thus limiting harshness and throat hit of the e-liquid.

Additionally, the above salts produce effective Vapour at lower temperature, and are absorbed (and eliminated) quicker in the body.

Regarding coils, atomiser and devices "designed for nic salts" - that is advertising fandango.

Nic salts can be effectively vaped at slightly lower (~20%)temperature than pure nicotine, but you achieve that with any variable power / variable temperature setup.

Only with a fixed power pod system you must use a coil "designed for nic salts", which will run at a slightly cooler temperature.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Freebase nicotine (i.e. pure nicotine) is produced by deprotonating the nicotine compounds as found in tobacco.

While greatly effective, freebase nicotine is alkaline, therefore it becomes harsh to the taste when present in higher concentrations.

Then nicotine is presented as a salt when used for vaping. We mostly use nicotine benzoate, closely followed by nicotine citrate.

Nicotine benzoate and nicotine citrate have much lower pH than freebase nicotine, thus limiting harshness and throat hit of the e-liquid.

Additionally, the above salts produce effective Vapour at lower temperature, and are absorbed (and eliminated) quicker in the body.

Regarding coils, atomiser and devices "designed for nic salts" - that is advertising fandango.

Nic salts can be effectively vaped at slightly lower (~20%)temperature than pure nicotine, but you achieve that with any variable power / variable temperature setup.

Only with a fixed power pod system you must use a coil "designed for nic salts", which will run at a slightly cooler temperature.

I was just about to ask what's the difference between freebase and salts in vaping. It sounds to me like I might actually prefer freebase nicotine. To me being a former smoker, I look for that throat hit. I use a 6mg juice, and the throat hit is barely there, but it is there. I guess if I switch to nic salts, it would pretty much totally disappear.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Pretty sure the confusion is the fault of the juice manufacturers and sellers, at least in part. I see a lot of "warnings" on nic salt bottles, or in the description at web sites, that state something to the effect of "NOT FOR USE IN SUB-OHM TANKS" or the like. So questions like this will continue.

Here's one copied directly from breazy.com, the very first site I checked:

"Salt E Liquids should never be used in sub-ohm tanks or any dripper styled vape system."

Which would make someone new to salts to wrongly conclude that salts cannot EVER be used in a sub-ohm tank or dripper. What should be said is that salt-based juice in the stronger concentration (30-50mg) may not be suitable or pleasant to vape in a sub-ohm tank. I have made a lot of juice at 6mg using salts and they are fine, as most DIYers already know.

So, it's not the type of nic that may be unpleasant (or make you nic-sick) it's the high concentration of the nicotine in the juice when you get up to 30-50mg. And it can make you sick if you overdo it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is kind of a "covering of the ...." situation in many ways.

I think also there is this myth about "nic salt" being hard on coils. I only have this to say, when I asked Aspire Tina what made their Nautilus AIO nic salt coil "Special" it was that it had half the airflow of all the other coils the idea being that half the vapor would be produced, I guess. Right along with the coil dying at TWICE the pace.

I certainly don't want new vapers getting nic sic but all this nic salt "capable" stuff makes me nuts. ALL coils are nic salt capable AT the right DOSAGE.

The benefit of nic salts is smoothness which means they CAN be vaped at very high percentages without discomfort.

If you do that in the wrong setup you will get nic overload, hardly fun, but most likely not life threatening.

Really it's the hype I am not a fan of and the "rep" for "blow you away" is often a dosage issue, and has nothing to do with nic salts per se. I vape them at 19 mg /ml and have for a long tine and guess what, when I had a persnickety relapse and y'all said up my nic in a few setups well I did to close to 40 mg/ml and yes, they felt rapidly absorbed but I BET it was due to dose. I really think so.

Nic salts ARE getting as problematic as "What battery should I buy from ebay" questions. You want to ignore it buy you know you can't and you are like ARGH....a blog guru you can point to like Mooch for nicsalts would be super useful.

I could probably do it but all the nic salt capable devices. coil testing, juices...? I am officially Not IT. LOL.

Anna

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Yeah, as far a coils go, there will always be a debate about the difference or if it even matters. I assume, and may be waaaay wrong, that the coils designated as "nic-salt coils" generally have a higher resistance and better MTL draw - or at a minimum a tighter draw than the non-nic-salt counterpart.

As always, my best advice is to use whatever works for the individual, as long as it isn't dangerous.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I think also there is this myth about "nic salt" being hard on coils.
Whether it's a myth may depend on the type of salt. My experience with adding citric acid to freebase nic is that doing so requires more frequent dry-burns and re-wicking than plain freebase. I have not tried it with benzoic acid.

• Informative

Grego25

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Yeah, as far a coils go, there will always be a debate about the difference or if it even matters. I assume, and may be waaaay wrong, that the coils designated as "nic-salt coils" generally have a higher resistance and better MTL draw - or at a minimum a tighter draw than the non-nic-salt counterpart.

As always, my best advice is to use whatever works for the individual, as long as it isn't dangerous.
Ironically I think the .8 coil was a little tighter than the 1.2. That could be because I was using a max vg. I kept feeling like I was about to get a dry hit.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread