Samsung 25R 18650 corrosion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
This is a fairly new battery... Had it maybe 3-4 months (that's still new right?)
I'll just post pictures.
There is some corrosion between the lip and the positive contact I noticed today on this battery. The other still looks clean and new. Also some possible rust(?) on one of the 3 supports to the contact. it is barely visible in the 3rd picture.
I'm going to shelve these batteries and likely buy another set since I only had two sets to begin with, but I'd like to know just how concerned I should be about this. All I could think, outside of a faulty battery, is perhaps I had juice/water on my hand when handling it or something and it caused some corrosion. I don't know much about batteries though.
I inspected the inside of the mod but there was no sign of anything foreign in there. I always charge my batteries at .5, and I alternate which set charges each night.

I figure better safe than sorry, especially with batteries. but I want to learn more.
Thanks in advance for any feedback
0c5e244a19bd16a54b4955d1c73c64a0.jpg
edfe4ce06ef7c1fce3839f5666779f5f.jpg
206eee5867180f2be9cae53f6410580d.jpg

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Those cells need to be replaced/recycled for sure. It's hard to tell from your photos how bad that is, but I wouldn't trust that.

It could be juice leaks, but WTH kind of juice are you vaping? :D

I would be more suspicious and concerned that it is coming from the cell itself. I would replace, and if you keep the others from that set keep a close eye on them for similar issues.

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
Those cells need to be replaced/recycled for sure. It's hard to tell from your photos how bad that is, but I wouldn't trust that.

It could be juice leaks, but WTH kind of juice are you vaping? :D

I would be more suspicious and concerned that it is coming from the cell itself. I would replace, and if you keep the others from that set keep a close eye on them for similar issues.
Alright that is pretty much what I concluded. I'll probably keep the other battery of the pair and just use it for the ohm tester, and buy another set to rotate on the mod. Thanks

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
Oh and the juice I've been using, if u really were asking, is (favorite) pre steeped Hannibal nectar from vapewild, and sometimes a mix of Maui sunrise by naked and something called primal which to me tastes like pink lemonade. I've got $100+ of supplies awaiting order fulfillment from wizardlabs though, and will be getting into DIY juice if it ever ships :)

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Pretty sure all of you're making a mountain out of a molehill here my dears. :?:
Battery cans are made of steel, with a nickel plating layer if I'm not mistaken. This means they can easily oxidize with just a little slip-up. I sometimes use an aggresive soldering flux which causes corrosion easy and fast if not carefully cleaned from the cells. Since the flux is quite liquid it is easy for some to slip under the wrap, causing visible crusts of underwrap oxide after a while. This very flux removes rust very easily so it can also be used to clean the thing, though some patience and vinegar can do it too. A thin layer of petroleum jelly helps with cell maintenance before rewrapping.
Long term storage of cells in humid ambient conditions can also cause rusting over cells. This isn't really dangerous as long as you don't let it go overboard. The small rust specks assaultshaker shows in the pics are a child's play, and just like any outside rust layer cannot negatively affect cells' performance. My advice is use them, nothing to worry. :)

Cheers :wub:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Pretty sure all of you're making a mountain out of a molehill here my dears. :?:
    Battery cans are made of steel, with a nickel plating layer if I'm not mistaken. This means they can easily oxidize with just a little slip-up. I sometimes use an aggresive soldering flux which causes corrosion easy and fast if not carefully cleaned from the cells. Since the flux is quite liquid it is easy for some to slip under the wrap, causing visible crusts of underwrap oxide after a while. This very flux removes rust very easily so it can also be used to clean the thing, though some patience and vinegar can do it too. A thin layer of petroleum jelly helps with cell maintenance before rewrapping.
    Long term storage of cells in humid ambient conditions can also cause rusting over cells. This isn't really dangerous as long as you don't let it go overboard. The small rust specks assaultshaker shows in the pics are a child's play, and just like any outside rust layer cannot negatively affect cells' performance. My advice is use them, nothing to worry. :)

Cheers :wub:
    It is great having you around here, tx.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I am a bit on the fence since it's hard to see the extent of the issue, I'd say it's possible they could be rehabbed, but if you are unsure, I would replace.

I've leaked plenty of juice down into my Samsungs before and haven't encountered that problem (though I do clean them up afterward and rewrap if necessary).

My main concern might be that since you got them from a vape shop they might not be authentics, or the could be "seconds" that the manufacturer sold off more cheaply as they didn't pass quality control. I'm not saying that is definitely the case, but it might be something you want to look into.. I buy my batteries from IMRbatteries.com, but there are other trusted vendors and they are often cheaper than a vape shop, and mine usually arrive quite rapidly.

If you want to learn more about batteries, you could check out Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum He has a table of batteries that he has tested, and in the last cell, you will find a list of "approved" vendors. There are also several other helpful battery tips and advice.

Best of luck, hope you are able to get it sorted out.

Anna

score69

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 28, 2015
    Athens, GA, USA
    Yeah, are those two different batteries? In the one photo, the small bit of 'rust looking' stuff probably not a big deal. But when I blow up the first picture, it looks like a bunch of greyish/white corrosion that's formed around the top of the cell? If that is the case, retire them. That's from inside the battery most likely and I wouldn't risk it.

A new set of 25R's is not worth the risk. Batteries are probably one of the least expensive components of vaping compared to what folks pay for juice, tanks, mods, etc.

I take good care of my batteries, but used to always try to cycle them beyond what was probably reasonable use. Not sure why I felt I was getting that much more use out of them. These days, I replace them every 12-14 months regardless of how they perform. I'll use them in flashlights or for light duty for a while after I retire them from use in a mod. I'm sure cell aging can cause them to be less safe as well.

Order some from imrbatteries and just replace them. 25R's are only $5 at imrbatteries. Not worth taking any chances for that price.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    They are the same battery in pictures. The corrosion was what I noticed and worried about first . I'm gonna just but more I think they're $10 each or so, so not bad

You or the shop may not know if batteries are authentic. Safest thing is to order from a trusted battery vendor. I use Liion Wholesale.

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
    I'm in Illinois and usually have them within a week. Their customer service is great, I use Liion exclusively for batteries.
    Alright thanks I'll check them out when I'm not working. Might just ask the guy at the shop where they get their batteries, since I know him well enough I don't think he'd lie about it

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread