Status
Not open for further replies.

bgoracy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
New Hampshire
Hello All,

I was hoping to use a combination of the three products below. Can anyone tell me if that is a good setup for a really long lasting battery time? I was looking to extend the time I have before I need to swap batteries. Any suggestions for a better setup would be welcome, but I will only use the 1.6ohm coils. I set my mod to 13 watts as well.

Thanks!

IJOY ELITE PS2170
Samsung 50E 21700 5000mAh
Zenith MTL tank with 1.6ohm coils

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Your resistance will have no bearing on battery life. With a regulated device your wattage is what dictates battery drain. I don’t think you’ll find a better battery for your style of vaping. The 50E2 is pushing the limits in terms of capacity. I believe (may be wrong with this) that 5000 mAh is the max a 21700 is capable of due to its size limits (Mooch sates there are no round batteries over 5500 mAh, and those would be 26650). But a batteries mAh rating is not a true indication of run time. The batteries internal resistance and calculated Watt Hours down to your devices cut off voltage will give a more accurate reading of performance.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The relationship between capacity (mAh) and how many amps it can safely deliver (CDR) is like a seesaw. The more you have of one, the less you can have of the other.
For a battery to have more run time (capacity) it has to contain more stuff, this makes it larger. This larger size increases it's internal resistance, lowering it's ability to deliver current (amps). Take for instance a 26650 compared to an 18650 ~ it's larger larger size gives in a higher mAh rating, but generally a lower CDR than an 18650. Generally 20700s and 21700s seem to bend this rule, my understanding is that this is achieved by clever use of materials and chemistry.
What Punk said is bang on the money, when looking at buying a battery its the watt hours you should be looking at as this takes into account the relationship between CDR and mAh in the context of it's internal resistance. What you end up with is a real world estimate of it's actual performance.
Always check to see if a battery has been tested by Mooch before using or choosing it.

He has the 50E. Not the 50E2.
I know thank you. I was just providing the best info I could.

@bgoracy some additional light reading for you, and of course Mooch's blog.

Understanding Battery Capability/Capacity | E-Cigarette Forum
Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety | E-Cigarette Forum
Ohms/Watts Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
...Take for instance a 26650 compared to an 18650 ~ it's larger larger size gives in a higher mAh rating, but generally a lower CDR than an 18650. Generally 20700s and 21700s seem to bend this rule, my understanding is that this is achieved by clever use of materials and chemistry...
Just no. Internal resistance is influenced only by the materials used.

And where did you get that 26650s have a lower CDR than 18650s in general? That's absolute nonsense. 25A+ is not uncommon for 26650s, but only a very few 18650s can deliver that much amps.
The major drawback of 26650s is, that they're not manufactured by one of the Big5 LG/Moli/Samsung/Sanyo/Sony, so they're lacking a bit in the consistency department.
2x700s from the Big5 do not bend the rules. They just contain better materials than 26650s.
If the chinese would catch up, the 26650 could potentially be even more powerful than the 2x700 format.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
In simple terms (cause I’m still working on my morning coffee) to achieve higher capacity the battery must contain more goop that holds the ions. More goop means the metals used for the Cathode and Anode along with their separators must be thinner to accommodate the added goop. Thinner metals = higher resistance and the amount of goop also contributes to a higher resistance.

For higher current (CDR) it’s the opposite – thicker Cathode and Anode for less resistance but the trade off is less room for the goop, thus lower capacity.

I imagine (and this is just an opinion, not fact) that we haven’t seen high CDR 26650’s cause there was no demand for it. I think the size of the cell could easily accommodate a 35 amp rating, possibly even higher.

• Agree
Reactions: mimöschen

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Hello All,

I was hoping to use a combination of the three products below. Can anyone tell me if that is a good setup for a really long lasting battery time? I was looking to extend the time I have before I need to swap batteries. Any suggestions for a better setup would be welcome, but I will only use the 1.6ohm coils. I set my mod to 13 watts as well.

Thanks!

IJOY ELITE PS2170
Samsung 50E 21700 5000mAh
Zenith MTL tank with 1.6ohm coils

you got all the xperts here so no additions, but here's notes from last years class i took with them

shortcut, look at this picture (expand button upper right corner)
Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

youre looking for the next to last column

the other batteries sacrifice capacity to give you higher power, but you don't higher power so:
right at bottom
essentially longest lasting 21700 (limited to your range) is Samsung 50E2 ,

you might do some of the reading suggested by the fellas to learn how to maintain the batteries better at least (yours mightve simply aged, thats why youre getting less time out of it.)

i live by these:
you should be rotating 2 or 3 batteries.
do not charge immediately after use.
not use direct after charge.
never ever let cattery get hot.

p.s. some would say you should have a rebuildable setup in case the shutdown lasts longer, my favourite mtl setup was sam e as yours: zlide, 1.6, 13w... i replaced it with this

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
@mimöschen I'm basing what I'm saying for the most part on what I've learnt from Mooch. What I posted was to the best of my knowledge correct, though I am also always open to the possibility that I may be wrong.
I think to some degree your objections are due to a slight misunderstanding of what I'm saying.

Just no. Internal resistance is influenced only by the materials used.

Have a look at what Punk said. We are both actually saying the same thing.

2x700s from the Big5 do not bend the rules. They just contain better materials than 26650s.
I said clever chemistry and materials, you said better materials. We are both saying the same thing.

If the chinese would catch up, the 26650 could potentially be even more powerful than the 2x700 format.

Quite possibly, but the 26650 format is not as popular as the 2x700. There will always be format wars, and the winner is not always the superior design.

And where did you get that 26650s have a lower CDR than 18650s in general? That's absolute nonsense. 25A+ is not uncommon for 26650s, but only a very few 18650s can deliver that much amps.
The major drawback of 26650s is, that they're not manufactured by one of the Big5 LG/Moli/Samsung/Sanyo/Sony, so they're lacking a bit in the consistency department.

Perhaps if @Mooch would be so kind, he can validate or explain where I might have been wrong with this. I would certainly like to know if I have this wrong.

bgoracy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
New Hampshire
Is anyone going to answer any of my questions? (hahaha)

1.)Does anyone know of a different 21700 battery that would last longer using 13 watts?
2.)Does anyone actually sell the 50E2's online?
3.)Is anybody actually using the 50E's right now? I would love to hear how long they are actually lasting from an actual user.

Thanks!

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Does anyone know of a different 21700 battery that would last longer using 1.6ohm coils at 13 watts?

Thanks!

I can't answer that, but I can tell you that A HohmTech Hohm Grown 26650 battery (labeled as 4307mAh) 26650 battery lasts me about 1.5-2 days vaping 1.2 ohms at 13-15W. I vape a lot.

Last edited:

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    @sonicbomb
    1. Instead of just copy/paste the same links over and over in every single thread, you should perhaps read them or look at the graphs beforehand.;)

2. You did not say the same as Punk.
    You said that an increase in size is equal to a higher internal resistance.
    Coupled with your following statement that "bigger cell = lower CDR" is wrong on so many levels, that I can't put enough emphasis on No.1.

3. You said "bend the rules". Which they clearly do not. Coupled again with your "bigger cell" nonsense above, your statement is highly misleading. So: back to No.1.

4. Format wars? Are you serious?
    That has nothing to do with the topic at hand. ;)

@bgoracy
    The Samsung 50E2 is the best choice for 13W vaping at the moment.
    I don't know of any shop that sells the 50E2.
    The 50E with its impressive 14,5Wh at your powelevel is a very good alternative though, and it should be readily available.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I can't answer that, but I can tell you that A HohmTech Hohm Grown 26650 battery (labeled as 4307mAh) 26650 battery lasts me about 1.5-2 days vaping 1.2 ohms at 13-15W. I vape a lot.

I can't answer either but Uncle's comment made the most sense to me - real world results.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread